Loose nipples and spokes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tcc

Loose nipples and spokes

Post by Tcc »

Have just bought a wheelset secondhand for winter use. On my second ride out I heard a rattling from the front wheel.
I found that 3 spokes had come completely loose, not broken. The nipples were inside the rim.
The wheel are in good nick and we're running true. On examining the 3 spokes they still have thread in them and I am a bit justified about the cause of this.
Can anyone offer a suggestion ?
Thanks
Tim
pete75

Re: Loose nipples and spokes

Post by pete75 »

Assuming nipple and spoke threads are in good condition the most likely cause is insufficient spoke tension.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I would suggest that you evaluate your wheels carefully; often spokes lose tension because they don't fit the hub correctly and the wheel wasn't stress-relieved when it was built.

Sometimes wheels that are falling apart like yours can be saved by retensioning and stress-relieving, but if the spokes fit badly enough or the wheels have been through the mill already, a rebuild using new spokes (and threadlock on some spokes perhaps) would be a better option.

BTW some wheels (not designed for UK winter conditions!) use aluminium nipples. These can look like they have unscrewed (fall off and rattle around inside the rim) but actually the nipples have often split lengthwise.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tcc

Post by Tcc »

Thanks Pete and Bruce
Will have a closer look
Tim