New Mavic Open Pro

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey
Posts: 26880
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby Brucey » 30 Jul 2017, 9:24pm

in fairness I have not yet heard of a UST tyre blowing off a UST rim, but I have heard of other tyres blowing off other rims when used in tubeless format; this could be sizing tolerances, bead stiffness issues (they will stretch pro-rata with load until they break; there is no 'limit' per se), or variations in actual seal location and therefore bead loading/hooking efficiency.

I don't know for sure what has gone on yet, but I daresay we'll find out in the fullness of time....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mig
Posts: 1628
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 9:39pm

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby mig » 16 Oct 2017, 9:45pm

has anyone seen one of these in the flesh yet?

JohnW
Posts: 5557
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby JohnW » 16 Oct 2017, 11:17pm

mig wrote:has anyone seen one of these in the flesh yet?

I've not looked or asked at any of my LBSs, because there won't be any 36 hole version.

User avatar
Gattonero
Posts: 2525
Joined: 31 Jan 2016, 1:35pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby Gattonero » 22 Oct 2017, 11:05am

mig wrote:has anyone seen one of these in the flesh yet?


They are already on sale in some shops.
I've even used the Exalith version 8)
(this is not on sale)
Image

Gattonero wrote:...

The new Open Pro UST are available.
Pretty good, have to say. Light but stiff, haven't fitted a UST tyre yet, but normal folding clinchers (Conti 4season) do fit without much trouble, far easier than nasty rims like Pacenti. The deep rim well helps in that respect.

Image

Image

Image
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

The utility cyclist
Posts: 762
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby The utility cyclist » 24 Oct 2017, 12:29am

£125 each for the exalith rim going by the pre order price at Strada :shock:

JohnW
Posts: 5557
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby JohnW » 24 Oct 2017, 10:19am

The utility cyclist wrote:£125 each for the exalith rim going by the pre order price at Strada :shock:

So that's £250.00p for a pair of rims with insufficient spoke-holes, before you start with hubs, spokes and wheel-building. Not for the average cyclist.

I have two pairs of wheels with Mavic Open Pro wheels, and they're strong, responsive and hold their shape (thanks also to a good wheelbuilder of course) - in fact their only downside for me has been their low mileage-life (i.e. they wear out more quickly than previous equivalent Mavics) - so they're now off my radar.

I think that the new Open Pros are not a replacement for the Open Pro that I've been using. Any ideas about what will be a direct replacement?

Revised for bad grammar.
Last edited by JohnW on 24 Oct 2017, 9:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brucey
Posts: 26880
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby Brucey » 24 Oct 2017, 10:34am

JohnW wrote: ...I think that the new Open Pros are not a replacement for the Open Pro that I've been using. Any ideas about what will be a direct replacement?


AFAICT there isn't one, not quite. There are plenty of rims that are ~40-50g heavier but are so much stronger, like you wouldn't believe....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

amediasatex
Posts: 246
Joined: 2 Nov 2015, 12:51pm
Location: Sunny Devon! just East of the Moor

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby amediasatex » 24 Oct 2017, 11:10am

So that's £250.00p for a pair rims rims with insufficient spoke-holes, before you start with hubs, spokes and wheel-building. Not for the average cyclist.


Well as you say allude to, it's not a direct replacement for the old Open Pro, it's a new racing oriented rim, and the Exalith coating is akin to the old ceramic option, which was always more expensive. As far as insufficient spoke holes, well that's a case of intended use and rider weight isn't it.

There are other options (many already discussed) as a replacement for the 'old' Open Pro, but I think continuing the name but changing the product is going to mislead a few people. :?

Samuel D
Posts: 1788
Joined: 8 Mar 2015, 11:05pm
Location: Paris

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby Samuel D » 24 Oct 2017, 11:34am

In fairness to Mavic, I think they had to change the Open Pro if they wanted to continue selling it to the mainstream, speed-orientated cyclist. These people now want a wide rim (both to support the trend to wider tyres and because they ascribe mystical performance benefits to wider rims); they want an overtly technical appearance rather than elegance; and they hardly care where the price falls in the sort of range we’re talking about (i.e. demand is relatively inelastic). These people buy bullet points, and this rim has those in abundance.

Also in fairness to Mavic, they did something interesting and worthy of the brand with this rim. It’s not a me-too product.

That said, it’s not a rim for me. A bit too expensive even without Exalith. No 36-spoke option. No silver option, much less my preferred polished silver. Single eyelets. And tubeless well shape.

The utility cyclist
Posts: 762
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby The utility cyclist » 24 Oct 2017, 4:37pm

As I said earlier in the thread I bought up a few sets of ceramic ooen pros plus I have a pair of open 4 ceramics too.
Whether the new exaliths offer better braking I don't know but I can say from seeing an exalith braking surface (on a pair of factory built Mavic's) close up that they most assuredly do not have the same wear properties of the old ceramic, not even close.
I supported some friends in the Alps in August one had a two inch patch of the exalith surface worn away in a not disimilar way to the old CD coated rims. Whether this was a faulty rim or somehow worn away one patch on one Iside i don't know but it certainly made me think that these are not going to be as durable.
He rides carbon wheels too and he'd brought them because of the rain and snow we were likely to encounter (and did)
he had no problem braking on a very wet and long col d'iseran descent amongst many other high speed runs.

Looks wise I like them, currently though I have no need. With my other 'summer' wheels and supplies of wheels ive picked up it's very unlikely I'll buy one in the next 20 years if ever but who knows.

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 1551
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby Bmblbzzz » 24 Oct 2017, 5:03pm

I'm not sure about the performance benefits of wider rims, but one benefit I see or rather experience is it makes tyre fitting much easier. That by itself is not a reason to use the new OPs though, clearly, especially at that price. Shame, as I rather liked the old ones.

fastpedaller
Posts: 1196
Joined: 10 Jul 2014, 1:12pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby fastpedaller » 24 Oct 2017, 6:43pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:I'm not sure about the performance benefits of wider rims, but one benefit I see or rather experience is it makes tyre fitting much easier. That by itself is not a reason to use the new OPs though, clearly, especially at that price. Shame, as I rather liked the old ones.

Are Mavic Open Sport still available, as an alternative?

Samuel D
Posts: 1788
Joined: 8 Mar 2015, 11:05pm
Location: Paris

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby Samuel D » 24 Oct 2017, 7:40pm

I believe the Open Sport has been rebranded Open Elite.

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 1551
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby Bmblbzzz » 24 Oct 2017, 8:57pm

Yeah, looks like it. And available in 36h for those who want that. Well spotted, Samuel.

JohnW
Posts: 5557
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: New Mavic Open Pro

Postby JohnW » 24 Oct 2017, 9:58pm

Brucey wrote:
JohnW wrote: ...I think that the new Open Pros are not a replacement for the Open Pro that I've been using. Any ideas about what will be a direct replacement?


AFAICT there isn't one, not quite. There are plenty of rims that are ~40-50g heavier but are so much stronger, like you wouldn't believe....

cheers


For example? - with double eyelets of course? - 36 hole?