Low gears

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
colin mitchell

Low gears

Post by colin mitchell »

As an older rider with some mobility issues, I prefer a straight handlebar bike and have a mountain bike frame with narrow tires. However, I would like a modern road frame for the summer. Can I simply use a road frame and wheels with straight handlebars and mountain bike chainset, gears and shifters?
Brucey

Re: Low gears

Post by Brucey »

yes but it is not without its issues. Some examples here;

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=112351

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

In the link that Brucy shows there was/is a problem with the front mech' having rear tyre clearance.
This may be alleviated with a frame that is built to accept mudguards. (longer chain stays.)
There are also other points that need consideration when starting a project.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

These days, I'd be cautious about building up a bike from different types, if only because components bought loose are often more expensive than bought together on a bike. That's before you start with compatibility.

It is now possible to get all manner of bikes off-the-peg which might suit your purpose, although I find some of the names don't help searching. eg Cannondale have a "fitness" range where some of the bikes look like road frames with straight bars but if you google <fitness bike> the hits will be for exercise bikes.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"In the link that Brucy shows there was/is a problem with the front mech' having rear tyre clearance."

Mine - so some thoughts!

Yes, best would be a carbon frame/forks built for tyres > x25 and maybe even 'grds. But these are few and far between - and well outside MY budget - your's I don't know, but I had to buy all used components very carefully to bring the lot in under half a grand!

If I were doing it again, then I might well go for flat bar road series shifters and mechs, BUT with a "touring" chainset (from Spa Cycles). I THINK that this would make for less front mech issues (and that has been the only compatibility issue mixing mtb (mainly XT 9 speed) and a race rep frame), but at the cost of the very lowest gears on my Mongrell. OTOH as it is it all works. And at 8.5kg nothing new in the up market hybrid market comes close at south of double the price.

Only ridden 12 miles on it so far but it is a very nice bike FOR WHAT IT COST.

If you go the full-on mtb drive train route on a similarly very close clearance frame, then I recommend trying the older XT front mech(s) suggested on my Thread.

Have fun!
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Does it have to be a triple?
Is it low gearing you are looking for?
On my MTB I have a double with a real range.

SRAM 2x10
I have a 36 and 22 rings at the front.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Grarea wrote:Does it have to be a triple?
Is it low gearing you are looking for?
On my MTB I have a double with a real range.

SRAM 2x10
I have a 36 and 22 rings at the front.

Seconded - 2 x 10 would have done me fine. Again a matter of cost (and compatibility - I run 3 x 9 mtb drive on my Trek 7.5 hybrid). Even pricier, very latest 1 x 11 worth a money-no-object consideration!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

PS "... if you want a bike with disc brakes, massive tyre clearance and a carbon fibre frame, the gravel/adventure category is the place to look...." The GT Grade Carbon would make a v nice Mongrel conversion. Lots of room for any front mech (likely to be even more problematic on a race frame with 2 x 10 or 1 x 11 than my 9 speed triple).
colin mitchell

Post by colin mitchell »

Thank you to everyone. I saw the video from Brucy and the front mech issue. At the moment I use an Oxford Bike Works machine with the triple and this works well but is a long wheelbase machine. At the moment I might try an aluminium frame carbon fork with mudguard clearance. One of the replies suggested straight bars with road series shifter but I didn't know these existed and could be the answer. The 36/22 route seems too low which keeps on bringing me back to a triple. I'll keep looking.