A replacement for Mavic 'Open Pro' rims.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Des49

Re: A replacement for Mavic 'Open Pro' rims.

Postby Des49 » 29 Apr 2017, 9:20am

Brucey wrote:
A slight problemette is that RR411 is only available in 20, 24, 28 drillings. The asymmetric version is available in 24, 28, 32.

Shame.

Having recently built a wheel with an Open Pro and 11sp 105 hub and being rather concerned about the lack of spoke tension on the NDS the attractions of an asymmetric rear rim makes a lot of sense. Wish I had got a 32 hole hub instead of 36 and used a RR411. As the 105 hubs aren't that expensive it may be worthwhile going down that route anyway when the rim wears out. Though an essential requirement for the user of this wheel is easy tyre removal/fitting and I know the Mavic rim is good in that regard, no experience with the DT Swiss rim.

Gattonero

Re: A replacement for Mavic 'Open Pro' rims.

Postby Gattonero » 29 Apr 2017, 9:41am

DT Swiss rims are ok to fit/remove most tyres, not as easy as OpenPro's but certainly not "hard" in my experience.

With 11sp hubs an offset rim does help in reducing the difference in spoke tension between Rh/Lh of the wheel.
In fact, I don't recommend OpenPro's to be built with such hubs, because to get sufficient tension on the Lh spokes of the Re. hub, it needs to increase the Rh spoke tension as well, and this ends with a value over 110kgf that it too high for that rim.
It was never designed to handle that, it is a design that IIRC is about two decades old now, and in that day most hubs won't have such a dramatic difference in flange spacing of the rear hub.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...