Custom frame builder - who would you choose?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bonefishblues

Custom frame builder - who would you choose?

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm under some pressure to reduce the family bike count (7 between the 3 of us, which doesn't seem unreasonable, but hey-ho). Obviously the thing to do is to buy a new bike to replace perhaps a couple of others (the n-1 principle).

I've always hankered after something that was built for me, and have had impure thoughts about titanium, but it was only a dalliance, so it would be a steel frame.

I'll be wandering off to Bespoked in a few weeks to take a look at the latest and trendiest (based on reviewing the exhibitors) and sipping designer coffee, I don't doubt, which will be interesting, I'm sure.

My question is, if you were in my position, who would you be looking at as potential builders?
tatanab

Re: Custom frame builder - who would you choose?

Post by tatanab »

I would go to somebody local. Near you, I know not exactly where, there is a small time frame builder who is a lock keeper for work (I think that is what he is). He might be an off the wall suggestion for something completely out of the ordinary. I will search my memory to see if the name comes up, I met him only last year so it should be fairly fresh in my memory.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Kevin Sayles - the guy who used to work at Thorn Cycles.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
PH

Post by PH »

Depends on what type of bike I was looking for and how individual I wanted it. I think most custom builders will have their own slant, they'll build you the bike they think you want, which may differ from the one you were thinking of. Other builders custom bikes are not really that unique at all, model X built to your dimensions rather than having started with a blank sheet. Have a good idea of what you want, then find a builder who's building that sort of bike.
Example - Two builders fairly close to me, Mercian and Rourke, I doubt you get a bike from one that looks like it came from the other.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH wrote:Depends on what type of bike I was looking for and how individual I wanted it. I think most custom builders will have their own slant, they'll build you the bike they think you want, which may differ from the one you were thinking of. Other builders custom bikes are not really that unique at all, model X built to your dimensions rather than having started with a blank sheet. Have a good idea of what you want, then find a builder who's building that sort of bike.
Example - Two builders fairly close to me, Mercian and Rourke, I doubt you get a bike from one that looks like it came from the other.

Of those two I'd be at Jason Rourke's door every time, so yes, I understand what you mean.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Jason Rourke is one of the best TIG welder of frames in the UK.

Anyone brazing is history. There is no skill to it, just know-how.
I should coco.
blinkered

Post by blinkered »

PH wrote:Depends on what type of bike I was looking for and how individual I wanted it. I think most custom builders will have their own slant, they'll build you the bike they think you want, which may differ from the one you were thinking of. Other builders custom bikes are not really that unique at all, model X built to your dimensions rather than having started with a blank sheet. Have a good idea of what you want, then find a builder who's building that sort of bike.

I had Mercian in Derby build me a bike. I am pleased with how it turned out. Their service was very much pick from one of our models and we will build to your specifications.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

PH wrote:I think most custom builders will have their own slant, they'll build you the bike they think you want, which may differ from the one you were thinking of.
In the past I've used frame builders who listened to my ideas as well and even come back with "good idea, I'd not thought of that". I know where I want brazed fittings and why, otherwise I'd probably use a stock frame. These were old builders, now dead, not modern boutique builders of whom I've no experience.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Spinners wrote:Kevin Sayles - the guy who used to work at Thorn Cycles.

+1 - builds some beautiful frames. Now at Woodrups.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Robin Mather
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I fear that his work may be beyond my means
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Valbrona wrote:Jason Rourke is one of the best TIG welder of frames in the UK.

Anyone brazing is history. There is no skill to it, just know-how.

Interested in why you say that
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

tatanab wrote:I would go to somebody local. Near you, I know not exactly where, there is a small time frame builder who is a lock keeper for work (I think that is what he is). He might be an off the wall suggestion for something completely out of the ordinary. I will search my memory to see if the name comes up, I met him only last year so it should be fairly fresh in my memory.

Have you thunk yet?
Bez

Post by Bez »

Bonefishblues wrote:My question is, if you were in my position, who would you be looking at as potential builders?

It very much depends on a few key things:

- What roles you want this bike to fulfil (fast road riding, touring, off-roading, shopping, child towing, etc etc). Some builders have a certain focus; some will have more experience that others in what you want, etc.

- Whether you want to just specify your intended use and hand over the design fully to the builder, or whether you are the sort of person who will specify every last detail and the builder will just build it. Not all builders are comfortable with both of those things.

Going to Bespoked is a good idea, of course. Try to get hold of the exhibitor list and check out their work beforehand, and find a handful you really want to visit. And also before you go, try to refine your own idea of the bike you're after and what you're going to find important in a relationship with a builder.

Last time I went, Look Mum No Hands were doing the coffee so you'll be alright on that front ;) (if they're still doing it, have a sausage roll as well…)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Perhaps if I explained what I'm thinking about?

I want something that's:
Comfy and fits someone with long back, short legs for his average height perfectly. Has big clearances for serious tyres - perhaps 650Bs, with mudguards, and 40c+ - type clearances. Something that will see most service on the road, for anything from an hour up to the longer rides I used to do (don't kids change your lifestyle?). Something that will also be quite happy to pootle on family rides on gravel paths etc, and something that won't be embarassed off road (I still ride my 1994 rigid Cinder Cone quite happily). Something that doesn't need to be overtly "fashionable" - my bikes are 1994x2, 2005, and a stripling of 2014, so I tend to keep them a long time (well, more accurately, I can't bear to sell them...). This is my bike for life (well, the rest of it, anyway :)). Beautifully finished, sans lugs, in a specific colour, which is perfectly applied. It will almost certainly be flat-barred. It'll certainly have those new-fangled hydraulic discs (not really needed, I know, but the feel is lovely). I think it will have an Alpine double with something like 42/24 or 42/26 or so. It doesn't need to have the most fantasically expensive and up-to-date componentry (so the Spa Deore-based disc wheels would be just dandy, for instance - oh and I already have the Spa chainset to hand, unused)
In short, a bike I can throw my leg over to do just about anything, as opposed to having n+many bikes. I care not a monkey's what my lycra-clad bretheren think - although the smart might give a knowing second glance, perhaps :wink:

It won't be:
Touring in any serious sense (but we'll stick the appropriate braze-ons on, just in case). For going fast, this doesn't need to be a speedster, but equally, no point in building a gas pipe slug if it's not required (and it's not). 99.9% of the time it would only be carrying me and a small pack, so it won't need to be hugely overbuilt - say 90kg max, with maybe a little more on occasion.

I like the cut & philosophy of these, for instance:
http://www.oxfordbikeworks.co.uk/models/overview/
But my sense is that it's overbuilt for what I would need, and is more down the touring end of the spectrum than I need/desire.

I like these too:
https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-ti
But it's well, just a little too overtly "cool", perhaps? :lol: If a builder says "Ah, you want an adventure bike then!", I shall politely pass on to the next one...

This lady's approach resonates with me, and I certainly want to speak to her at Bespoked:
http://www.beaumontbicycle.com/
I particularly like the "Shropshire Special"

What say you, chums?