new brakes for 2007 tricross - any advice please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
littlewheeler

new brakes for 2007 tricross - any advice please

Post by littlewheeler »

Hi there,
A long overdue overhaul of my circa 2007 tricross sport means that I need to replace the brakes. The bike is fitted with Tiagra STI's 3x9 and tektro v-brakes. I searched on here for advice but not found anyone else with v-brakes. The question is, is that still the best style to put on and which model would work for a low end budget. Its mainly a commuting bike on road with quite a hefty load but also untarmaced canal paths and i need space for mudguards so I don't think the mini v's will work. Should I consider canti's ?
Thanks for any help here
Brucey

Re: new brakes for 2007 tricross - any advice please

Post by Brucey »

which model STIs are they exactly? There are (I think) flat bar shifters (SL-****) or dropped bar shifters (ST-****) in tiagra. In 2007 the 4500 series was new so they could have been the previous 4400 series (also 9s).

If they are dropped bar type STIs they ought not work well with full-V brakes (100-110mm brake arms) and your choices would be mini-Vs (~80-95mm arms) or cantis.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
littlewheeler

Post by littlewheeler »

Thanks for that Brucey, they are drop bar STIs and they seemed to work well enough but releasing them was always tricky as there wasn't much slack to take up. What I don't understand is why they were on there when most others I've seen have something else. Why would they not work well, is it the amount of cable shift needed?
So I guess if the mini v's don't fit mudguards so well, I'll be fitting cantis, do you have any advice on models to try ?
Thanks again
Bez

Post by Bez »

I thought the Tricross came with cantis, are your Vs a retro-fit? Have you tried measuring them? (centre of pivot to the cable anchor bolt, near enough)

FWIW the best canti brakes I've used (for sensible money) were probably Tektro CR720s. But if you've been getting on ok with Vs so far, then Vs are easier to live with…
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

with full Vs and those levers there would be plenty of power but a spongy feel and very little running clearance. This is not a recommended combination, since the lever can come back to the bar with just a little brake block wear. Why were they on there? Gawd knows; however IIRC the OEM brakes on that model would normally have been tektro CR720 (or 520) model brakes which were if anything a bit lacking in power vs some other choices.

I'd suggest fitting shimano BR-CX50 (and then upgrading the brake blocks using a 55mm road pad/holder with a swivel base and the original spacers) or the near-identical BR-CX70 (which will come with decent brake shoes and will save you the upgrade faff). BR-CX50 is a lot cheaper than CX70 right now, about twenty quid each if you shop around.

If you set the straddle low the CX50/70 brake will have a MA that approaches that of a V brake, and will be nearly double that of a CR720.

cheers
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Lots of folk say they're rubbish, but apart from a short lived run on some min v's, I've had Tektro Oryx's on my rig since I got it 5 years ago. Perfectly good brakes if set up properly. And they look nice :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

My Tricross came with mini V's. Fine
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

If I remember correctly, as part of the fixing of the fork vibration issues, some machines were retrofitted with mid length V brakes which lost a little of the original power but didn't set up vibration patterns in the fork. I don't think anyone really bottomed the issue.

So as a word of caution, changing to a different, maybe more powerful brake could introduce significant vibration into the matrix. (we are talking severe grabbing sensation)

You have been warned :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

good point; for this reason it would be sensible to use an uphanger if fitting cantis .

cheers
sjs

Post by sjs »

mattsccm wrote:My Tricross came with mini V's. Fine

Mine (2009 Comp) with CR720s, and I've never been very happy with them. I may well upgrade to the CX70s based on the recent threads on the subject. Or, abandon the STIs (a bit sensitive with road 10-speed unless constantly titivated) and go to V-brakes with bar end shifters.
littlewheeler

Post by littlewheeler »

Thanks for the advice everyone,
So the v brakes that I'm taking off are 90mm (i think that qualifies as mid-range) so maybe this was about the fork vibration issue. And so I'm going to stick with V brakes and try the mini v's cos they've worked for other people here rather than leap into the unknown with cantis. I've ordered the RX5's so here's hoping, I'll let you know.
sjs

Post by sjs »

sjs wrote:
mattsccm wrote:My Tricross came with mini V's. Fine

Mine (2009 Comp) with CR720s, and I've never been very happy with them. I may well upgrade to the CX70s based on the recent threads on the subject. Or, abandon the STIs (a bit sensitive with road 10-speed unless constantly titivated) and go to V-brakes with bar end shifters.

Well I went for a BR-CX70 (front only, for now) and now have brakes that work properly with the 105 STIs. Shame Specialized went for such incompatible components as original equipment.