material qualities

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mig

material qualities

Post by mig »

what is it inherently in (mainly frame) materials that give them charateristics such as 'spring' or 'stiffness.' atomic structure?

i have just abandoned an alu frame and built up a 531. same components, wheels, seat, everything. the ride is totally different.
[XAP]Bob

Re: material qualities

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psychology - and design.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
meic

Post by meic »

and design.

and they need different designs because they have different material properties.

Aluminium frames have to be made more rigid because otherwise they will fail through fatigue too quickly.
Yma o Hyd
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes - but the point is that you can build frames with varying properties in various materials.

Fatigue limit is one limitation on Al designers.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

mig wrote:
i have just abandoned an alu frame and built up a 531. same components, wheels, seat, everything. the ride is totally different.

Describe to us the difference.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mig

Post by mig »

Spinners wrote:
mig wrote:

well the alu frame had seen some action and had gone from a carbon fork (that cracked) to a 501 fork. it still rode like a plank of wood over rough surfaces - of which there any many in manchester. the exposed cables would make a drilling noise against the frame when ridden over cracked sections of tarmac and the saddle would hit me hard in the harriss over anything bumpy. i've probably ridden it a maximum distance of 60 miles at any one go but i did find it unusually tiring compared to a 631 frame, a max frame and a tange frame.

the 531 job seems to 'giv'e under both the strains of acceleration but also over the same areas of broken road. the frame passes less road buzz up into the seat and hence is quieter. it's like a feeling that the wheel rims are flexing more to accomodate the bumps.

it has been a long time since i rode a 531 frame (a motorist trashed my last in the mid 1980s) and it has been a very positive experience for what is a second hand frame.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

mig wrote:
Spinners wrote:
mig wrote:

well the alu frame had seen some action and had gone from a carbon fork (that cracked) to a 501 fork. it still rode like a plank of wood over rough surfaces - of which there any many in manchester. the exposed cables would make a drilling noise against the frame when ridden over cracked sections of tarmac and the saddle would hit me hard in the harriss over anything bumpy. i've probably ridden it a maximum distance of 60 miles at any one go but i did find it unusually tiring compared to a 631 frame, a max frame and a tange frame.

the 531 job seems to 'giv'e under both the strains of acceleration but also over the same areas of broken road. the frame passes less road buzz up into the seat and hence is quieter. it's like a feeling that the wheel rims are flexing more to accomodate the bumps.

it has been a long time since i rode a 531 frame (a motorist trashed my last in the mid 1980s) and it has been a very positive experience for what is a second hand frame.

I'm mainly riding aluminium nowadays and can identify with a lot of what your saying! I used to be firmly in the 'steel is real' camp but I'm a bit more open-minded nowadays and I'm having an extended go on aluminium mainly on a Giant Defy with a CF fork. Overall, it's not too bad and a good fit too.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Yes - but the point is that you can build frames with varying properties in various materials.

Fatigue limit is one limitation on Al designers.
Varying? :?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Well they vary as they approach failure :p

Various
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Well they vary as they approach failure :p

:lol: or should it be :( ?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Psychology - and design.

Not at all for the first.

Design and materials of the tubing would play a part as much as frame design and fit to the rider
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...