Any one else fed up of road salt?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Spinners

Any one else fed up of road salt?

Post by Spinners »

Despite being a relatively mild winter, it's been the worst winter I can ever remember for road salt. Even this week the road gritters have been out despite there being no forecast of freezing conditions and the heavy rain that washed the previous salt away was in vain as fresh salt has been applied. My road bike is in a bit of a state but that has a hard life and low maintenance :oops: .

The one that's disappointed me was my 'adventure' bike that I used back in January on a cold, dry day with about one mile of tarmac to get to the off-road section and the same one mile on the way home. This went straight into the shed but corrosion is visible on the new Shimano chain and on the front mech.

On this beautifully sunny day I've heard a few club mates say how nice it is to be on their summer bike but I think I'll wait until we have enough rain to wash it away (again).
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
foxyrider

Re: Any one else fed up of road salt?

Post by foxyrider »

Prefer sea salt on my chips, spot of mayo maybe :D :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

One only has to look at the condition of the underside of a car imported from Japan to see the effect of salt - they are a clean as the proverbial whistle, as opposed to UK cars whose undersides are always rusty to a greater or lesser extent.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've not broken out the summer bikes yet; there is talk of a cold snap to come....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Another............?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We had a ground frost last night and it was trying to snow on Tuesday. :(
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Spinners wrote:Despite being a relatively mild winter, it's been the worst winter I can ever remember for road salt. Even this week the road gritters have been out despite there being no forecast of freezing conditions and the heavy rain that washed the previous salt away was in vain as fresh salt has been applied. My road bike is in a bit of a state but that has a hard life and low maintenance :oops: .

Maybe just NPT council puts a lot of salt down, same where I live
I don't have a winter bike,I just have one for the road. my wheels are wrecked from corrosion, I'll have to get new rims soon.
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Not much salt used around here this winter. It's also been very dry and although local reservoirs look well topped I should think the groundwater levels are low.Very windy today and forecast for tomorrow making cycling quite difficult. Why does it never seem to be behind you?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
irc

Post by irc »

My van was stuck in the snow for over an an hour last Tue morning at Shotts between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Not enough road salt the night before, despite the snow and ice being forecast. Spring?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

been none here in London. :D
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

mercalia wrote:been none here in London. :D
Further proof that London is indeed on another planet compared to TROTUK. Is another planet even.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I've just got back from a holiday in Finland. They don't salt the roads, just leave hard packed snow on them. It's so much nicer than the mucky, corrosive slush we end up with in this country.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

CREPELLO wrote:
Further proof that London is indeed on another planet compared to TROTUK. Is another planet even.

+1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Not really.
On my commute to work, out of every 5 bikes I see, at lest 3 have a noisy chain. When they stop at the lights I see mostly bikes with rusty chains and derailleurs.
Some people just don't care :roll:

Surely one would rather sit on the sofa with a beer, but sometimes you just have to deal with it.
But when you're coming back home with rain and hail, go on with old newspapers, a rag and GT85!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...