How do you choose a saddle?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
esuhl

How do you choose a saddle?

Post by esuhl »

I really need a new saddle, but I've no idea how to choose one that I'd find comfortable.

I have a half-decent mountain bike that I use both on- and off-road. It came with a saddle so hard that after just two miles, I had to get off and walk. Yet my old knackered bike that cost £125 new has a fantastic saddle. It's slightly padded, fits perfectly and has lasted for years. I put it on my new bike, but now it's starting to fall apart.

I've ridden a few mates' bikes, and without exception I find the saddles really uncomfortable. Most are way too hard, and a few just don't feel like they fit right.

Most feel okay if you just sit on them, so I can't see how I can possibly choose a new saddle that will be comfortable unless I get the chance to ride on them for 20 miles or so. And I can't imagine any shop is going to lend me a dozen saddles to try out until I find the right one.

Help!!! How do I find the right saddle for me?!
foxyrider

Re: How do you choose a saddle?

Post by foxyrider »

Any different saddle will likely feel less comfortable to start with and even 20 miles may not give a real feeling of whether it works for you.

If you can, take your 'comfy' saddle to the shop with you and use it as a template for both size and shape and with it in your hand you can compare padding levels too but do bear in mind that a new saddle will almost certainly feel stiffer than your tired old favourite.

Everyone has a preferred shape etc - for me it's a quite minimalist thing with little padding, softer saddles I can't sit on very long without discomfort.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
malcolmlauder

Post by malcolmlauder »

That's a great question. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I've had a few saddles with mixed results. I've often been tempted with a Brooks leather saddle but don't want to fork out that sort of money in case it's not right for me. Maybe there's a service that takes a mould of your ass and makes a bespoke saddle?[emoji38]
irc

Post by irc »

esuhl wrote: Yet my old knackered bike that cost £125 new has a fantastic saddle. It's slightly padded, fits perfectly and has lasted for years. I put it on my new bike, but now it's starting to fall apart.

When you find the right saddle - buy a spare - before it is discontinued.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Also, the same saddle that is "too hard" will be more comfortable after 50 miles than the "soft" one. Some bike shops do test saddles. I suggest sticking with your current saddle though, it's an endless quest and all that happens as you narrow things down is that you find more and more saddles "uncomfortable".
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

foxyrider wrote:If you can, take your 'comfy' saddle to the shop with you and use it as a template for both size and shape and with it in your hand you can compare padding levels too but do bear in mind that a new saddle will almost certainly feel stiffer than your tired old favourite.

I've had a look in a few shops, but there's so little choice. Online, there are a million options, but no way to choose. :-/

malcolmlauder wrote:I've often been tempted with a Brooks leather saddle but don't want to fork out that sort of money in case it's not right for me.

Yeah. I've heard nothing but good things about them, yet I'm still not convinced! I saw one in a shop today, and it looked (and felt) incredibly hard and uncomfortable. And it might be good on the road, but I'm not sure if it would be as good over rough ground...

irc wrote:When you find the right saddle - buy a spare - before it is discontinued.

Argh! When I bought my new bike and realised how hard it was to find a good saddle, I looked everywhere to find a spare just like the old one!

belgiangoth wrote:I suggest sticking with your current saddle though...

Sadly that's not going to be an option for much longer. The surface is cracking, there are a couple of rips, and the centre part is stuck down with duct tape. I really need a new saddle pretty soon!

I wonder whether there might be some way I could reupholster the one I have...?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Start by reading everything on Sheldon Brown’s saddle page.

Most people find many saddles work for them but others struggle. I am somewhere in-between. The most comfortable saddle I’ve had so far is the Brooks Cambium C17, which felt very hard at first but became more and more comfortable with use. On Sunday I did a 103 km ride on rough roads in genuine comfort with this saddle. (This is not a leather saddle like most Brooks saddles but a hard rubber one that doesn’t mind getting wet.)
PH

Post by PH »

Get a Charge Spoon.
There's absolutely no guarantee that it'll suite you, but they do seem to work for very many.
You can find a new one for under £20 and secondhand ones often fetch £15, for a few quid I'd say worth a gamble.
If you don't like it, that'll probably rule out a lot of more expensive options, that's how it works for me, finding what I like by eliminating what I don't.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Saddle fitting is a very personal thing.

Key points are

1. Saddle matches your sit bone width. This supports your wright correctly.

2. The relative position of your perineum to sit bones width. This determines if you would benefit from a pressure relief channel.

3. Your weight (or more correctly -flabbiness/obesity) the heavier you are the more likely you are to need some padding or flex around your sit bones to spread the contact point loading.

4 The current state of 'toughness' of your sit bone contact points.

When changing a saddle you may also need to change saddle height, fore/aft position and tilt.

A new saddle is also likely to change the precise location of your sit bone contact points. So some perseverance may be necessary whilst the sit bone areas toughen up again. BUT you should not persevere if you haven't addressed the points above.

I think I've found a good compromise using a Selle SMP trk saddle. The more expensive version didn't work due to the seat being too hard.

A final point to consider is that your weight on the saddle depends on how well your legs are working. On longer rides you may find that you start to sit heavier on the saddle as your legs support a lesser amount of your weight. Conseqently a saddle that is fine over a 50km ride can become uncomfortable at the end of a 200km ride.

I have a collection of around 11 saddles I aquired until I got my head around the above points.

I've also helped a couple if cycling colleagues change their saddle/ riding position and they are very happy bunnies.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

This business about "rough ground" is a complete red herring.
If your riding position is right, you can distribute your weight so the bike moves underneath you like a rocking horse....."kissing the saddle" if you will. On the other hand, if you sit on the saddle like a sack of spuds, you are going to get beaten up.
Read the "bike fitting" link in my sig.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Saddle fitting is a very personal thing.

Key points are

2. The relative position of your perineum to sit bones width. This determines if you would benefit from a pressure relief channel.

3. Your weight (or more correctly -flabbiness/obesity) the heavier you are the more likely you are to need some padding or flex around your sit bones to spread the contact point loading.

4 The current state of 'toughness' of your sit bone contact points.

When changing a saddle you may also need to change saddle height, fore/aft position and tilt.

A new saddle is also likely to change the precise location of your sit bone contact points. So some perseverance may be necessary whilst the sit bone areas toughen up again. BUT you should not persevere if you haven't addressed the points above.

I think I've found a good compromise using a Selle SMP trk saddle. The more expensive version didn't work due to the seat being too hard.

A final point to consider is that your weight on the saddle depends on how well your legs are working. On longer rides you may find that you start to sit heavier on the saddle as your legs support a lesser amount of your weight. Conseqently a saddle that is fine over a 50km ride can become uncomfortable at the end of a 200km ride.

I have a collection of around 11 saddles I aquired until I got my head around the above points.

I've also helped a couple if cycling colleagues change their saddle/ riding position and they are very happy bunnies.
hamster

Post by hamster »

There are a few saddles that seem to keep more of the people happy more of the time and may be good starting points:
Brooks B17 (personally I can only ride the narrow version)
San Marco Rolls
San Marco Regal (used by the pros for cobbled classics, nicknamed the Belgian sofa)
Charge Spoon
Sele Italia Flite

All these have been around for years and are readily available secondhand on ebay.

Regardless of saddle, the angle and layback are also critical - start with the thing dead level and tweak from there.

Hardness of saddle is no guide - it's like car seats - firmer ones can be supportive over a long duration, I find soft ones can chafe.

Personally I go for the Regal every time and will ride 7 hours with zero chafe, ache or soreness. I never use creams but always a pair of cycling shorts. Wearing jeans is a disaster, you might as well sit on a cheese grater.
mjr

Post by mjr »

hamster wrote:There are a few saddles that seem to keep more of the people happy more of the time and may be good starting points:
Brooks B17 (personally I can only ride the narrow version)
San Marco Rolls
San Marco Regal (used by the pros for cobbled classics, nicknamed the Belgian sofa)
Charge Spoon
Sele Italia Flite

Over in viewtopic.php?p=999724#p999724, I also added Unicanitor (1962), Selle Royale Contour (1972), San Marco Concor (1978), Selle Italia Turbo (1980), but don't rate the Spoon and Flite.

freeflow wrote:Key points are

I agree with those two as starting points (noting that plastic saddles typically need to be 30mm wider than the sit bone distance and leather 50mm, but some vary). I disagree about fatter people needing more padding (but I could be wrong on that) and toughening up sit bones (you can't toughen bone - do you mean bruising the flesh until it does lasting damage?).

I'd replace the remaining points with

3. The relative sweep of your inner thighs - this determines whether you need a T-shaped, V-shaped or inverted-pear-shaped saddle (as viewed from above). Too narrow and it'll cause sores on the backs of the tops of the thighs where it presses harder on the last remaining bit of saddle. Too wide and it'll chafe the inner thighs.

4. Your length and "wriggliness" - hardest to judge and most people will be fine with a saddle in the common range (250-270mm IIRC) once the fore/aft position is set correctly, but if you find yourself falling off both front and back of the saddle during the same ride, you may need one of the few longer saddles.

Some shops do a test programme where you can keep swapping gaudy test-labelled saddles until you find one that you like but they tend to be trendy things like fizik. Some groups have saddle libraries which people will lend out - generally, ones that aren't bad saddles but didn't work for them or used to fit a bike which no longer rolls.

Measuring new saddles up against a comfortable old one is a good idea (I wish I'd kept my old one) and some saddles can be reupholstered to prolong their life.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I disagree about fatter people needing more padding (but I could be wrong on that) and toughening up sit bones (you can't toughen bone - do you mean bruising the flesh until it does lasting damage?).

Typically fatty tissues are less resilient than muscle. I also said sit bone contact points.

Personally I think that addressing flabbiness is a dead elephant scenario and that much more attention should be paid to the overall weight and BMI of the rider when selecting saddles.

I can't comment on rubbing of the thighs as I've never experiences this even though I have used some quite wide saddles.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

esuhl wrote:
belgiangoth wrote:I suggest sticking with your current saddle though...

Sadly that's not going to be an option for much longer. The surface is cracking, there are a couple of rips, and the centre part is stuck down with duct tape. I really need a new saddle pretty soon!

I wonder whether there might be some way I could reupholster the one I have...?

First thing... yes, you can reupholster it
Here's a thread about that viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88452&hilit=recover+saddle

Secondly, if I needed a new saddle, I would take the old one with and a tape measure or something with, and try to find the the closest in size, shape, & feel. Most places will let you try one for a couple of weeks, so check on that, too.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom