Lowering the gear on my Record groupset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gattonero

Re: Lowering the gear on my Record groupset

Post by Gattonero »

If in real need, why not using a medium cage RD from a lower tier groupset? A new Mirage/Xenon RD can be found fairly cheap and would work well, you cannot swap the cages (the fitting is different) but a new RD will do better than an old one (if has a lot of use, the Record RD gets wear and play in the main pivot)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pq

Post by pq »

Thanks, but I already have a rear mech which will do the job - I just want to keep the Record groupset as intact as poss.
One link to your website is enough. G
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Graham at Velotech moves about a bit.
If you are really desperate make your own side plates. Did it once for the hell of it . 2 slabs of alloy do the job and any tarty bits like holes are optional. Any length you want.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

How do you attach the pivot on the cage?
pq

Post by pq »

Further up the thread, someone explains the different methods. Essentially the cage on my Record mech is different to the cheaper ones.

I won't be making one - really I just need suggestions about where I can find one to buy. The one email I've had from Velotech was helpful and friendly, but he's clearly not willing to communicate by email (or at all - he doesn't provide a phone number) so I need to find someone else. He can't be the only person in the UK who stocks Campag spares.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mercian are often good for campag spares, might be worth trying them...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

pq wrote:Further up the thread, someone explains the different methods. Essentially the cage on my Record mech is different to the cheaper ones.

Yes, the Chorus/Record mech's would use a long 5mm allen bolt that screws into the Rd body. The Centaur (though not all!) would use a clip that secures a pivot fixed in the Rd body, is the other way round and does use a clip rather than a thread.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

pq wrote:Sorry to resurrect this old thread...

Velotech said more than a month ago that they have the cage I need, but frustratingly now won't communicate with me. No response to emails and no phone number on their web site.

I too have hit a wall at Velotech in the past.

I found Downland Cycles in Kent to be very helpful on Campag spares and service by email and post, so worth a try. My stuff isn't quite as old as yours, so can't be certain they'll have it.

- Nigel
pq

Post by pq »

Well I've spent half the afternoon trying to track down a cage. They're not made any more and no-one I can find has a dusty one on a shelf. Campag, bizarrely, will sell me a brand new old rear mech but that's £250!

I guess weekly emails to velotech until he responds is the only option. How anyone can run a business like he does beats me.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I would think the simplest solution is to swap to a smaller chainset - how about a 44/29?
http://www.rjcx-treme.co.uk/acatalog/RS ... Taper.html
The front Record mech will run fine with it - I've used a Record 10 speed front on my MTB with a Duo chainset like that in the past.
pq

Post by pq »

The problem was caused by swapping to a smaller chainset. I went from 50/39 to 50/34. The mech copes with the cassette, just, but add the extra chainring difference and it struggles.

My record front mech really doesn't shift at all well with the 50/34. I'm trying to source the correct CT mech.
hamster

Post by hamster »

The point I was fumbling towards was that the smaller chainrings allow you to use a smaller cassette, hence avoiding the mech troubles.

FWIW I ran a short cage Chorus mech with a 12-23 and 30/39/48 Campag triple. Large cassettes seem to be the problem. All gears were usable, although 48-23 was rather rattly.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

@pq
I might have the solution for your Record rear mech.
I own an Chorus 10 speed rear derailleur from 2003 or so with mid cage that I don't intend to use any more.
Cage IMO is identical with Record mechs from that aera, easily swappable and you could sell the Chorus with short cage or keep it as spare.
PM if interested, i'm in the Netherlands so shipping isn't cheap.
pq

Post by pq »

Have PMed you. I'm in France, not the UK, so maybe not so bad on postage.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there is a very easy solution to this problem; I have been wondering why it hasn't been mentioned before now but I suspect it may have to do with, er, 'aesthetic concerns' shall we say....?

The shift ratio of current shimano 11s road (and Tiagra 4700 series 10s) rear mechs is within a gnat's wotsit of the campag shift ratio. I think you should be able to bolt one on (for peanuts, relatively speaking) and it should just work. Worst case is a tiny tweak to the cable mount at the pinch bolt might be necessary.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~