IRD v Sunrace 7spd freewheels

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: IRD v Sunrace 7spd freewheels

Post by Brucey »

markyp wrote:tried oil through the freewheel....no change.....still two clicks per revolution.

if this is caused by free play in the bearings (as suggested), chancing the lube might have an effect but the only real cure is to re-shim the freewheel so that the bearings are set right. This is usually more tedious than complicated or difficult to do.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
torquerulesok

Post by torquerulesok »

Brucey wrote:any details of the pawl failures? Did you take them apart to see what happened?

cheers

No, I couldn't be bothered. I binned them both.
markyp

Post by markyp »

Brucey wrote:
markyp wrote:tried oil through the freewheel....no change.....still two clicks per revolution.

if this is caused by free play in the bearings (as suggested), chancing the lube might have an effect but the only real cure is to re-shim the freewheel so that the bearings are set right. This is usually more tedious than complicated or difficult to do.

cheers

Shouldn't have to do this on a new freewheel?.......will return.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

torquerulesok wrote:
Brucey wrote:any details of the pawl failures? Did you take them apart to see what happened?

cheers

a shame, we might have learned something. Also the sprockets are wear items, so might have been worth hanging on to.

BTW I have very rarely had a new/newish freewheel that I did not think could be improved by being adjusted; 'Tis the way of such things...

cheers
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Brucey wrote:
torquerulesok wrote:

cheers

a shame, we might have learned something. Also the sprockets are wear items, so might have been worth hanging on to.

BTW I have very rarely had a new/newish freewheel that I did not think could be improved by being adjusted; 'Tis the way of such things...

cheers

No worries, if I break my 5 speed freewheel, I'll send it to you!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

:lol:

BTW I did a little more interweb trawling and it seems that (in the US) Harris cyclery have been a bit more upfront with their customers when IRD freewheels have failed. They have blamed some failed freewheels as being from a batch in which the pawl spring was somehow distorted when it was installed in the factory, which then caused the pawls to stop working in service. I have seen a similar fault in many SS freewheels; if the spring comes dislodged it can either freewheel in both directions or jam the freewheel solid, on a pot luck basis....

cheers
markyp

Post by markyp »

Brucey wrote::lol:

BTW I did a little more interweb trawling and it seems that (in the US) Harris cyclery have been a bit more upfront with their customers when IRD freewheels have failed. They have blamed some failed freewheels as being from a batch in which the pawl spring was somehow distorted when it was installed in the factory, which then caused the pawls to stop working in service. I have seen a similar fault in many SS freewheels; if the spring comes dislodged it can either freewheel in both directions or jam the freewheel solid, on a pot luck basis....

cheers

interesting!
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

Brucey wrote::lol:

BTW I did a little more interweb trawling and it seems that (in the US) Harris cyclery have been a bit more upfront with their customers when IRD freewheels have failed. They have blamed some failed freewheels as being from a batch in which the pawl spring was somehow distorted when it was installed in the factory, which then caused the pawls to stop working in service.
cheers

It looks like Harris don't sell them anymore. Has anyone here tried the IRD Classica freewheels? Sunrace seem to be much better value at a third of the price.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Jezrant wrote:Has anyone here tried the IRD Classica freewheels?
I bought a 6 speed from SJS about 18 months ago. It seems ok but this is on a very seldom used vintage machine so has probably been used for only 250 miles in that time. However --- I had to return the first one I got because it would not thread onto the hub, and the hub being just about irreplaceable I wasn't going to force it too much. The second one SJS sent me was definitely tight but at least it went on. Note, I did try the freewheels on other hubs and the issue was definitely in the freewheel.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

tatanab wrote:
Jezrant wrote:Has anyone here tried the IRD Classica freewheels?
I bought a 6 speed from SJS about 18 months ago. It seems ok but this is on a very seldom used vintage machine so has probably been used for only 250 miles in that time. However --- I had to return the first one I got because it would not thread onto the hub, and the hub being just about irreplaceable I wasn't going to force it too much. The second one SJS sent me was definitely tight but at least it went on. Note, I did try the freewheels on other hubs and the issue was definitely in the freewheel.

Tatanab, were they the previous ones that have since been replaced by the "Classica" version? Probably too late to check now, but the old version had "M3" stamped on the back. There was also supposedly a revised fourth version that still had the "M3" stamped on the back.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Jezrant wrote:Tatanab, were they the previous ones that have since been replaced by the "Classica" version? Probably too late to check now, but the old version had "M3" stamped on the back. There was also supposedly a revised fourth version that still had the "M3" stamped on the back.
I can see no marks on the back of the freewheel body. Of course I can only see the rotating part not the fixed part which would contain the thread. The only problems I have read about are to do with pawls/pawl springs, I've seen nothing about problems with the screw thread.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

tatanab wrote:
Jezrant wrote:Tatanab, were they the previous ones that have since been replaced by the "Classica" version? Probably too late to check now, but the old version had "M3" stamped on the back. There was also supposedly a revised fourth version that still had the "M3" stamped on the back.
I can see no marks on the back of the freewheel body. Of course I can only see the rotating part not the fixed part which would contain the thread. The only problems I have read about are to do with pawls/pawl springs, I've seen nothing about problems with the screw thread.

Not sure when the Classica freewheels first appeared in the UK, but it wasn't long ago. The "M3" may not be visible if the freewheel is threaded onto the hub; it could be hidden by the flange.

Edit: silly me, should have checked before posting. :oops: That's an old Record hub btw.
M3.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Jezrant wrote: Has anyone here tried the IRD Classica freewheels? Sunrace seem to be much better value at a third of the price.

can't comment on the IRD but the Sun Race freewheels are alright for the money. They do need the bearings adjusting adjusting even when they are new though.

cheers
markyp

Post by markyp »

Had the IRD freewheel replaced.....and the replacement survived the French Alpine trip with no problems!