Suspension forks on trekking/city bikes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AdamS

Suspension forks on trekking/city bikes

Post by AdamS »

UK cyclists usually advise not to buy bikes with suspension forks (except for mountain biking). Suspension forks add extra weight and don't offer any extra comfort unless the ground is very bumpy. We also look to the continent and point out how much more practical their everyday bikes are compared to the bare sporty hybrids on sale here. Yet, many modern continental city and trekking bikes do have front suspension forks. Have our continental neighbours fallen for sporty marketing hype or might there actually be some benefit?

(I don't have an axe to grind. I have never owned a bike with suspension. My experience of suspension is a few short rides on a friend's full-suspension mountain bike.)
tykeboy2003

Re: Suspension forks on trekking/city bikes

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I can't see any benefit on anything other than a mountain bike - and then only if it's actually employed in conditions it was designed for.

They must be falling for the same hype.

Many years ago (late 90s) we bought a Hoover washing machine and they were giving away mountain bikes so we got one for my son and paid £10 to upgrade it to (rear) suspension. Biggest waste of £10 ever, the bike was only ever used on roads and decent cycling tracks and my son soon lost interest. He now rides a Ridgeback hybrid with no suspension, a wise choice.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

They're nothing more than a marketing ploy to make the product appear "full-featured", "feature laden", "feature rich" and generally featuring more features than are featured on rival products.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Suspension forks add extra weight and don't offer any extra comfort unless the ground is very bumpy

Agreed but not always true.

The SIDs on my single speed weigh less than most comparable forks (even CF ones) and do an excellent job of soaking up the little bumps I encounter - on my commute.

Not sure what "city" roads are like, but on the potholes and poorly surfaced paths and roads here in South Wales - it certainly is a benefit
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Threevok wrote:..........
The SIDs on my single speed weigh less than most comparable forks (even CF ones) and do an excellent job of soaking up the little bumps I encounter - on my commute............

and probably cost MORE than a hybrid with suspension forks?
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

531colin wrote:
Threevok wrote:..........
The SIDs on my single speed weigh less than most comparable forks (even CF ones) and do an excellent job of soaking up the little bumps I encounter - on my commute............

and probably cost MORE than a hybrid with suspension forks?

Oh yeah, without a doubt (although I did get mine sale price)
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I converted my MTB to a touring bike so the suspension fork was already there. It does make a difference, especially when you have all the electronics mounted on the handle bar. Does it make a difference comfort wise? I think a little, but not enough to invest in a new fork, the extra weight and maintenance.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

While in the past I'd have said front bounce unnecessary for anything other than serious off-road stuff, the state of the tarmac round here is starting to make me think again.....with tyres of less than 35mm the road shock is really pretty disconcerting at anything over 10 mph!

The roads will only get worse, so maybe the future is bounce.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

AdamS wrote:UK cyclists usually advise not to buy bikes with suspension forks (except for mountain biking). Suspension forks add extra weight and don't offer any extra comfort unless the ground is very bumpy. We also look to the continent and point out how much more practical their everyday bikes are compared to the bare sporty hybrids on sale here. Yet, many modern continental city and trekking bikes do have front suspension forks. Have our continental neighbours fallen for sporty marketing hype or might there actually be some benefit?

(I don't have an axe to grind. I have never owned a bike with suspension. My experience of suspension is a few short rides on a friend's full-suspension mountain bike.)

The thing is, a suspension fork is effective when is good quality.
Cheap ones are best left away.

All of them will require to look after, the seals and bushings are subject to wear.
Given the inclement weather, and -as far as I can see on my commute- the tendency of some cyclists to believe that "everything should last forever with hardly any effort or care", I'd say there's no real reason for haing one unless doing proper off-road
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...