Which support for Nelson Longflap

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gattonero

Re: Which support for Nelson Longflap

Post by Gattonero »

mnichols wrote:...not quite understanding how you have done it. Can you give me an idiots guide please,

I'm not bothered about the quick release. I was going to keep everything in a plastic bag and just take than in and out and leave the bag on the bike. I'll only be using it on tour, not for everyday use

It would work without the QR, should make some pics tomorrow if I can
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Si

Post by Si »

bigjim wrote:
Si wrote:
mnichols wrote:
If it doesn't rub, if there is enough clearance does it need to be supported? How about a bungee attached to the saddle rails?

no, if its not touching the wheel it ought to be fine....i used one with an sqr on a 26 inch wheeled bike with no probs.

Yep, i did try a bungy...it can cure the problem but it can limit the amount of stuff you can get in the bag

But then was the SQR not taking the strain? I've toured with the Super C and SQR but wonder if the dowel and saddle rails would be up to the job? I have plenty of clearance on a 25" frame.

no, the sqr doesnt supprt the bag underneath, only at the same places that the bag attaches to the saddle loops and seat post ifnthere is no sqr. Obviously you need to retain the dowel in the top od the bag.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mnichols wrote:... not quite understanding how you have done it. Can you give me a guide please

I'm not bothered about the quick release. I was going to keep everything in a plastic bag and just take than in and out and leave the bag on the bike. I'll only be using it on tour, not for everyday use

Sorry for being a bit late.

Here you see the different diameter of the Bagman tubing (7mm), the 7.7mm struts from common pannier racks (Tortec, etc.), and the 8.3mm "eyelet" plus its "block" that also comes from common pannier racks.

In needs to make a shim (do not use the "coke-can", alluminium is too soft. Better use thin steel from a can), and to hammer one end of a strut so to make it flat to approx. 10mm wide (heating it up does help) then drill it to 5mm to have a bolt trough

Then the "eyelet" slides in the Bagman tubing (needs to be removed from the STd or QR mount, warm up those 3mm allen key bolts), the shim goes inside the eyelet and the "block" 5mm allen key makes it tight and allow for 360º adjustment, also length-wise adjust.

On the bottom of the "block" you bolt on the strut with an M5 bolt. Threadlock has to go in all the bolts.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Gattonero wrote:
mnichols wrote:... not quite understanding how you have done it. Can you give me a guide please

Sorry for being a bit late.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post this. It's very thoughtful of you
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

No worries, hope it helps
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Got my Nelson back today from having the straps replaced and my new support (the higher one). Took it for a short test ride, seems like a great system. Will do a test pack over the weekend
slepycitron

Post by slepycitron »

Hello. I hope this works with the attached pictures. Years ago I had this bit of kit, which was attached by the seat post bolt. Somewhere along the yellow highlighted part I put 'trician's tape to protect where it touched the frame. Worked a treat and is now, presumably hanging in the garage of the house, we left years ago. Its advantage was ease of installation and simplicity.
The other picture is of some other bit of kit (Italian, I think) when you didn't have saddlebag loops on your saddle, where the two plates were either side of the back part of the saddle rails, the saddlebag straps fitting in the depressions in the larger back plate.
Hope this makes sense.
Oh, the home-made support and the Condor bike look lovely.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by slepycitron on 6 May 2017, 5:48pm, edited 2 times in total.
slepycitron

Post by slepycitron »

Oops! I knew I'd mess it up.
Attachments
image.jpeg
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I bought a support for the my Carradice Saddle Bag - I found that I could get everything that I need in a Cadet Longflap

http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/saddle-fixing-systems/carradice-classic-saddlebag-rack

and it's absolutely fine, but seems a bit OTT, in that attaching it to the saddle and seat post seems fine. I also find that fitting my very light, basic mudguard also provides a bit of support

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/mudguards/topeak-defender-rear-rc11-rear-road-mudguard
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Hope you'll forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, seemed better than starting a new one when there was already so much info here...

I tried fitting a Bagman QR to a Brooks B17 and there isn't quite enough rearward extension for the bracket to clear the saddle rails; has anyone else had the same problem? Seems unbelievable to me that Carradice didn't check this before production.

If anyone has fitted a Bagman QR to a B17 successfully, please post up a pic!

Thanks [emoji846]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I have.

Made several changes over the standard fittings, though. For one, I filed/ground/cut both halves of the QR that clamps to the seat rails flat, getting rid of the original curved profile. That’s allowed me to put the QR clamp further back on the saddle rails. Yes, that’s taking a risk because it reduces the clamping area, and therefore increases the pressure n the rails. But they’re pretty solid.

And I also modified the stays that go to the rack mounting points, by threading the end of the stay and using a couple of M8 nuts on it. In part, that’s because I managed to strip the thread in the original Al fitting. But mostly it provides a stop that absolutely prevents the stay from sliding through the fitting - adding to the strength pretty significantly.

Note that this was all done because (1) the B17 has stupidly short rails, and (2) I had a couple of incidents where the saddle tilted backwards, pressing onto the mudguard which in turn pressed onto the tyre (and I thought I was just having a bad day, getting consistently dropped by the group; Nope, I was trying to ride with the brakes on!). The extra nuts on the stay make the bag support making contact with the mudguard pretty much impossible. Plus that second stay gets close to fouling the rim brake unless it gets significantly modified.

I don’t feel the need to use the second stay; this bike isn’t intended to be any sort of "load lugger" (if it was, I’d use a proper pannier rack).

At some point I’ll get around to tidying it all up, painting bits black, chopping off extraneous bits etc.

QR clamp
QR clamp

Modified stay
Modified stay

<edit> Less a garage, more a sort of bike workshop meets general dumping ground. One of my winter projects has to be getting rid of the junk and rubbish, reorganising the limited storage, and returning the space to car parking and woodworking area.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Thanks for that Richard, I ended up filing channels in my support to allow it sit snug against the saddle rails just as they bend upwards towards the cantle. I like that your solution allows you to use the full length of the saddle rail for adjustment; I'll have to take another look at mine as I wouldn't mind having the saddle set slightly further forward. I think I must have short thighs!

You must be capable of some serious wattage - was it the smell of burning rubber which finally alerted you or did someone else point out your smoke-trail...? [emoji38]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my CLT-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

elPedro666 wrote:You must be capable of some serious wattage - was it the smell of burning rubber which finally alerted you or did someone else point out your smoke-trail...? [emoji38]

I was getting left behind by the group more and more as the ride went on. At one stage, I hopped off the bike to check all was well, but the wheels span fine (I now realise that it was my weight on the saddle that caused the problem, so of course I’d didn’t manifest when I was standing next to the bike. But it was a few hundred yards from the cafe, riding up an incline, when I felt myself getting slower and slower and slower until I could finally make no forward progress and realised “hang on, this is DEFINITELY not right." Until then I was prepared to blame my woes on a heavy meal the night before!