pedals change

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cluelessnewbie

pedals change

Post by cluelessnewbie »

Hi guys!.this is my first post so forgive me for the probably silly questions!.
I bought a mountain bike last year to help with recovery from an operation and also fitness.it was bought with the view to doing a bit of everything,which didn't happen.....I only used it on the road.having been passed by every road bike on our roads I new I had to get one.so last weekend I bought a boardman road sports bike.I read the reviews and was happy with what people said about it,including about the pedals being poor thinking being a newbie I wouldn't know any different but......on taking it out for the first time I really don't like them.I can't get my feet back into them quick enough having stopped at junctions.what I need is advice on changing them.is there a certain size/style I need or are the universal?
Brucey

Re: pedals change

Post by Brucey »

nearly all pedals fitted to adult bicycles (in the UK, a few BMXs being the primary exception ) fit to the bike using RH/LH 9/16" x 20tpi pedal threads. This means that you can fit almost any pedals to your bike. Just remember that the LH pedal is on a LH thread, i.e. you turn it CW to unscrew it.

However shoes that accept cleats come in two main flavours; 'two bolt' (for SPD cleats etc) and 'three bolt' (for LOOK cleats etc). If you are just starting out I would suggest a set of two-bolt type shoes and (say) some PD-A520 pedals, or (easier yet) PD-M520 pedals (which are double-sided). These shoes/pedals have the great advantage that you can walk in them, unlike three-bolt shoes/cleats.

Modern bike pedals (of all types that provide retention) may require a little familiarisation before you can get your feet in and out. Some are easier than others.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
markfh

Post by markfh »

If I have read the spec on the Halford web site correctly then your bike came with medals with traditional toe clips and straps.

In his reply I think Brucie has assume that you are using or want to use "clipless" pedals, however, there is a simpler alternative, that you may wish to consider until you get more back into cycling. This is to change the existing clips to half clips which are also sometimes referred to as mini clips, for example, Zefal half toe clips http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Half-Toe-Clips-45_69850.htm. Depending on the particular design of pedals you currently have they may simply bolt on instead of the existing clips and straps. Having no straps they are very easy to get you shoes out of but still provide some foot retention. If you use them with double sides/cage pedals then you can also ride with the clip underneath if you cannot "engage" you foot in the clip straight away and being plastic do not suffer catastrophic damage if they occasionally scrape on the road. I have used such half toe clips for quite a few thousand kms and personally find them an effective and cheap solution to keep my feet on the pedals whilst also me to get my feet out quickly if the need arises and allowing the bike to be used with virtually any shoe although over time they do tend to mark the front of the shoe.

If the existing pedals/straps are an ""integrated" design such as the Raleight Lightweight Road Pedal ( http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Raleigh-Lightweight-Road-Pedal_53147.htm), then you could alternatively try just using them without the straps until either you get used to them or decide to try a "clipless" alternative.
cluelessnewbie

Post by cluelessnewbie »

Thanks for the replies guys.Will have to take a pic when I get home to show you what I have.with regards to which to get.I'm open minded on that.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

cluelessnewbie wrote:Hi guys!.this is my first post so forgive me for the probably silly questions!.
I bought a mountain bike last year to help with recovery from an operation and also fitness.it was bought with the view to doing a bit of everything,which didn't happen.....I only used it on the road.having been passed by every road bike on our roads I new I had to get one.so last weekend I bought a boardman road sports bike.I read the reviews and was happy with what people said about it,including about the pedals being poor thinking being a newbie I wouldn't know any different but......on taking it out for the first time I really don't like them.I can't get my feet back into them quick enough having stopped at junctions.what I need is advice on changing them.is there a certain size/style I need or are the universal?

Don't bother with clip-ins and special shoes etc just get some of these. You can then just wear normal shoes/trainers etc.

strapless-toe-grips.jpg
strapless-toe-grips.jpg (81.41 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

cluelessnewbie wrote:Hi guys!.this is my first post so forgive me for the probably silly questions!.

For leisure cycling a flat pedal is a good solution: excellent grip, no hassle.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dmr-v8-flat-pedals/

Pedals with toeclips&straps are slower in entry/release of the foot if compared to clipless pedals, but do have the advantage of being perfectly usable with "normal" trainers.
Clipless pedals would arguably offer the best compromise of foot retention and ease of release, altought they need proper cycling shoes (the choice is vast for both pedals and shoes).
Both types need time to develop the instinct of engaging/releasing a foot, toestraps can be kept slack but this means they're not effective, clipless pedals -depending on the brand/model- can be set to a low-tension so that releasing a foot it's easier.

Perhaps you may see it this way:
-flat pedals for ease of use
-toeclips&straps for versatility
-clipless pedals for efficiency
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

Or for the zero cost option, fit the pedals from your mountain bike to the Boardman while you get used to the bike.
_________
LEJoG slug
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Brucey wrote:nearly all pedals fitted to adult bicycles (in the UK, a few BMXs being the primary exception ) fit to the bike using RH/LH 9/16" x 20tpi pedal threads. This means that you can fit almost any pedals to your bike. Just remember that the LH pedal is on a LH thread, i.e. you turn it CW to unscrew it.

However shoes that accept cleats come in two main flavours; 'two bolt' (for SPD cleats etc) and 'three bolt' (for LOOK cleats etc). If you are just starting out I would suggest a set of two-bolt type shoes and (say) some PD-A520 pedals, or (easier yet) PD-M520 pedals (which are double-sided). These shoes/pedals have the great advantage that you can walk in them, unlike three-bolt shoes/cleats.

Modern bike pedals (of all types that provide retention) may require a little familiarisation before you can get your feet in and out. Some are easier than others.

cheers

Just to add to this good advice; if you do go for SPD, buy the SH56 cleats which will release in any direction - much easier for a newbie, as I found out very quickly!
cluelessnewbie

Post by cluelessnewbie »

With regards to the style of pedal,I had major leg surgery 12 months ago and my leg is still recovering.I haven't got full bend yet so if I use a pedal without clip/strap sometimes my good slips off pedal as it's coming around.so I would prefer clip I think IF it's easier to start off from a standing start?got pics of what I have but don't know how to put them up
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

cluelessnewbie wrote:With regards to the style of pedal,I had major leg surgery 12 months ago and my leg is still recovering.I haven't got full bend yet so if I use a pedal without clip/strap sometimes my good slips off pedal as it's coming around.so I would prefer clip I think IF it's easier to start off from a standing start?got pics of what I have but don't know how to put them up

With clipless pedals you must try several times first, leaning to a wall and practicing many times to clip in and out.
Also you have to remember to unclip before you are coming to a stop, i.e. you would unclip not when you are right at the traffic lights but when you're approaching and 10-20mt from the point you will stop. It's important to get the movement to unclip as natural as possible, in the beginning it may feel like panicking but it's ok.

As far as clipping in the pedals, I've always found some of the Shimano shoes to be most excellent when using SPD's, shouldn't be a surprise, but there has been some good work done, as the recess in the sole makes very easy to locate the pedal:

FWIW, I've always found those shoes to be extremely durable and comfortable to walk in, also very understated look which is a bonus for the leisure cyclist/commuter/cyclo-tourist. They are a bit heavy, but will also give some good protection.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
cluelessnewbie

Post by cluelessnewbie »

Thanks again for all the replies :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

Gattonero wrote:Also you have to remember to unclip before you are coming to a stop, i.e. you would unclip not when you are right at the traffic lights but when you're approaching and 10-20mt from the point you will stop.

Many (most?) people do but with SPDs I've never found I've needed to unclip significantly earlier than if I was on flat pedals. In the rare instances where I've unclipped one foot as I've come to a halt & the bike has gone the other way (gust of wind, movement of child in seat or tandem stoker behind, etc.) I've never failed to get the other foot out and prevented the bike from toppling.

Look type cleats are, potentially, a different matter. I'd not used them for 15-20 years & had forgotten how much more fiercely they grip until I'd been doing some track riding at the velodrome in the last year or two.

Even Looks are so much easier than the old slot cleats with tight toe straps of the "Olden Days". Who else remembers the having to do a hard stop & then trying to reach down & loosen a strap, to let you get your foot out, before the bike had actually fallen over?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

RickH wrote:
Gattonero wrote:Also you have to remember to unclip before you are coming to a stop, i.e. you would unclip not when you are right at the traffic lights but when you're approaching and 10-20mt from the point you will stop.

Many (most?) people do but with SPDs I've never found I've needed to unclip significantly earlier than if I was on flat pedals. In the rare instances where I've unclipped one foot as I've come to a halt & the bike has gone the other way (gust of wind, movement of child in seat or tandem stoker behind, etc.) I've never failed to get the other foot out and prevented the bike from toppling.

Look type cleats are, potentially, a different matter. I'd not used them for 15-20 years & had forgotten how much more fiercely they grip until I'd been doing some track riding at the velodrome in the last year or two.

Even Looks are so much easier than the old slot cleats with tight toe straps of the "Olden Days". Who else remembers the having to do a hard stop & then trying to reach down & loosen a strap, to let you get your foot out, before the bike had actually fallen over?

I have had a couple of near misses with SPD's, the main one being when I first went clipless and used the SH51 cleats that came with the A503 pedals. I almost gave up, but then read about the SH56 being much easier to release, so I tried them and they are fine. I've had two instances of unclipping one side (as I come to a halt - I don't unclip in advance, same as you) and then falling towards the opposite side, but in a panic the SH56's even release under upwards pressure, so I've never (yet) failed to get my foot out.
cluelessnewbie

Post by cluelessnewbie »

How do you post pictures up guys?
Someone In work has today given me some bike shoes they bought last year which are still in the box never been used,problem I have is I don't know what is compatible with them.they are FLR F-35.can any one help please! :roll:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

FLR F-35'S are Look / Keo compatible shoes.
I have 3 pairs of FLR shoes ... they are excellent ....
So you need cleats, possibly red ? , they allow the most movement ..I think .....

However ... if you wish to wear them with SPD pedals i have a set of SPD conversion plates which i will donate FOC ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.