pedals change

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cluelessnewbie

Re: pedals change

Post by cluelessnewbie »

landsurfer wrote:FLR F-35'S are Look / Keo compatible shoes.
I have 3 pairs of FLR shoes ... they are excellent ....
So you need cleats, possibly red ? , they allow the most movement ..I think .....

However ... if you wish to wear them with SPD pedals i have a set of SPD conversion plates which i will donate FOC ....

Hi there landsurfer,that's such a nice thing to offer!.I honestly haven't got a clue though what I need to get.is there an idiot's guide to all this?.my shoes have 3 holes in the sole.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Then they are are Look / Keo shoes ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
cluelessnewbie

Post by cluelessnewbie »

landsurfer wrote:Then they are are Look / Keo shoes ...

I'm trying to upload a pic but on my phone it won't let me resize pics small enough.
So....from the beginning......what do I need to get?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this is a 3-bolt to 2-bolt converter with an SPD cleat fitted. This is the sort of thing you need to fit to FLR-F35 shoes if you want to use standard SPD pedals, such as PD-M520;

However the resultant shoe/cleat system (whilst infinitely better than hobbling along on three-bolt LOOK cleats) will not be quite as good for walking in as a full SPD shoe, because the protruding parts that are each side of the cleat are hard slippy plastic (or sometimes with a thin layer of rubber too) instead of rubber/flush sole as with a dedicated SPD shoe.

SPD shoes are available in Road style (eg. SH-RTxx models)

MTB style;

training shoe style

there are also walking boots, sandals etc with SPD fittings.

So really I would suggest that you need to consider how important walking is likely to be to you; maybe the donated shoes will be perfect for you, maybe not.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cluelessnewbie

Post by cluelessnewbie »

Brucey wrote:Image

this is a 3-bolt to 2-bolt converter with an SPD cleat fitted. This is the sort of thing you need to fit to FLR-F35 shoes if you want to use standard SPD pedals, such as PD-M520;

However the resultant shoe/cleat system (whilst infinitely better than hobbling along on three-bolt LOOK cleats) will not be quite as good for walking in as a full SPD shoe, because the protruding parts that are each side of the cleat are hard slippy plastic (or sometimes with a thin layer of rubber too) instead of rubber/flush sole as with a dedicated SPD shoe.

SPD shoes are available in Road style (eg. SH-RTxx models)

MTB style;

training shoe style

there are also walking boots, sandals etc with SPD fittings.

So really I would suggest that you need to consider how important walking is likely to be to you; maybe the donated shoes will be perfect for you, maybe not.

cheers

That's great brucey.I would only be walking from my door to the road with bike so that wouldn't be a problem
willcee

Post by willcee »

Interesting comments, AND a great pat on the collective backs of those who went above and beyond assisting a new contributor to this much vaunted cycling forum.. this is surely what its all about.. my advice for what its worth is either flats with half clips, and or spds with the aforementioned easy out any direction cleats, and for your healths sake please practice getting in and more importantly out of spds, I can count at least 6 people I know ,all experienced cyclists, old toestrap users who had diffs on their first few rides so equipped, none seriously and none in a traffic situation thank God.. will
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Even Looks are so much easier than the old slot cleats with tight toe straps of the "Olden Days". Who else remembers the having to do a hard stop & then trying to reach down & loosen a strap, to let you get your foot out, before the bike had actually fallen over?

Been there, done that. :oops: :lol:
Still got a pair of 1990's specialized "hotdog" off road shoes that use that fixing method.