Incredible tyres. 26 inch Schwalbe Big Apple lighter version

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gearoidmuar

Incredible tyres. 26 inch Schwalbe Big Apple lighter version

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I put a pair of these on my Thorn touring bike before doing Lejog in 2012. Still on the bike. I swapped front and rear some time ago. Front now looks quite worn, but I'm heading off to Brittany tomorrow for weeks touring.

I noted the mileage when I fitted them.
They've done 8670 miles and this is the best bit. Not a single puncture.
And, a lot of the miles were touring. I've lots of different bikes but I use this one a lot in winter.
I tour with them from 30-50 psi depending on surface etc.

I put a pair on a 29er fairly recently and not a single puncture on them either but haven't done a lot of miles on them yet.

will carry a spare of course, but I always do.
Brucey

Re: Incredible tyres. 26 inch Schwalbe Big Apple lighter version

Post by Brucey »

it might be helpful if you can say exactly which version you have; AFAICT they have done models known as HS338 and HS430 but the latter has covered a multitude of different tyres with raceguard, K-guard, ('performance line' or 'active line') and now a 'plus' version. Along the way there has also been a 'liteskin' version with folding beads as well. There have also been different widths in some sizes and many of the variations in these tyres are/were only available in certain fitments.

TBH I have not been able to keep up with all the differences, but there are plenty! If you don't know which version you have the markings on the tyre and the weight of them are good clues.

I guess it may be academic in that the 2012 version may not be the same as the current version, but that mileage without trouble is good going for sure. Hope you haven't jinxed it!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

26x2 Performance Line Raceguard Liteskin 35-70psi. WIre bead.
Not a single puncture!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Gearoidmuar wrote:...
They've done 8670 miles and this is the best bit. Not a single puncture.

You have not ridden them in London? :wink:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

No, but I've ridden them in Cork which has a lot of glass and did the cross country off road from Southsea to Hornsea which was a glass fest, on these tyres. No puncture, nor, strangely did my 3 companions.
I get a fair numer of punctures, but not on this bike since 2012.
I'm doing Lejog again in September. Don't imagine they'll last until then, but you never know. If they do and I'm still puncture free I'll let you know. They may last this touring I'm heading on tomorrow, 360 miles or so in Brittany. I'll let you know about that too.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We've been using standard wired BA's,not the plus version,on the Circe tandem(20inch) which has seen no real mileage,but we've been pleasantly surprised how well they roll.
I fitted a pair on the the Raleigh Do-all bike I'm selling(shameless plug alert) viewtopic.php?f=40&t=112786 ,again no real mileage but nice and not sluggish either for such a wide tyre.
I wouldn't have any worries on bridleways and forest roads etc,nice tyres :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Well, as I cycled 330 miles in Brittany, they made the 9000, still without a puncture. In fact from the mechanical POV this was an unblemished tour. Never had to tighten a nut or anything.
I've cycled in Brittany about 12 times. It's VERY hilly. Can be frustrating from that point of view, but there are some super places to stay.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sounds to me like you have a charmed life thats all :D
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Well I used to tour about 3 times a year with my missus at one stage. We went about 4 years without a puncture and then had 4 of them and a torn tyre in 3 of our four wheels in about 2 hours, one morning near Applecross in Scotland. Got paranoid and bought extra spares. No more for another three years, but those punctureless spells only concerned touring. In the case of the BA's it's 9000m punctureless!