Is my cassette too damaged or worn out?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NoIdea

Is my cassette too damaged or worn out?

Post by NoIdea »

It's 9 speed Shimano HG-50.

I'm not sure it's actually worn so much as damaged slightly by a badly stretch chain due to derailleur cage failure, this happened prior to me acquiring the bike so I don't know how far it travelled after this occurred. The chain is so stretched it will no longer mesh properly on the chainrings or sprockets.
New chain is on it's way, do you think I need to replace the cassette too?

This is what happen to the cage.

Close up of the cogs

2006 Specialized Allez Sport 18 speed with various upgrades.
mercalia

Re: Is my cassette too damaged or worn out?

Post by mercalia »

5th one in from smallest looks very worn? That I assume is the one you use the most?

One way to tell worn drive train is to put pressure on the pedals in a particular gear - if every thing is ok you wont get much play or movement?
I would think the chain would also need replacing as the old one will only just wear the cassette down?
Last edited by mercalia on 25 Apr 2017, 12:39pm, edited 2 times in total.
the snail

Post by the snail »

Probably need a new cassette, but just fit the chain and see if it jumps on the sprockets.
NoIdea

Post by NoIdea »

mercalia wrote:5th one in from smallest looks very worn? That I assume is the one you use the most?

I haven't even ridden the bike yet as the chain was too stretched and the derailleur cage damaged.
I'm just stripping, cleaning, greasing, repairing and then hopefully going to start putting some miles on her. Nothing serious, just solo rides.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NoIdea wrote:
mercalia wrote:5th one in from smallest looks very worn? That I assume is the one you use the most?

I haven't even ridden the bike yet as the chain was too stretched and the derailleur cage damaged.
I'm just stripping, cleaning, greasing, repairing and then hopefully going to start putting some miles on her. Nothing serious, just solo rides.

WELL previous owner used that one a lot? thats the point. Seems like new drive chain is in order as you say chain no good. what about the chain rings?
NoIdea

Post by NoIdea »

mercalia wrote: WELL previous owner used that one a lot? thats the point. Seems like new drive chain is in order as you say chain no good. what about the chain rings?

see this thread :D
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=114033
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Usually you can’t reliably judge sprocket wear visually (or at least I can’t), but in this case, there isn’t a hope of a new chain not skipping on some of those sprockets. It looks like the cassette was used with a badly worn chain.

The elongated chain and consequent wear high up the tooth face likely has nothing to do with the damaged derailleur.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bottom line,the cassette is scrap,and so is the rear mech.
Cassette should cost £15 to £20,mech about £25 to £30.
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Apr 2017, 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'd replace the whole lot, chainrings, too.

It's well-worn, and even if it should prove to be useable, you wonæt get many miles out of it. As you've got it apart, fix it right, and enjoy many miles before you need to do anything significant with it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NoIdea

Post by NoIdea »

Ok, good to have a second opinion.
Will get back to bike parts shopping. 8)

Many thanks. :)
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

NoIdea wrote:Is my cassette too damaged or worn out?

Stick the new chain on and try it, if the chain skips on the cassette, you need a new cassette.

I've never worn the chain rings to the point that the chain skips at the front so I couldn't say - except that it will tend not to skip due to the sheer number of teeth engaging the chain. I don't know if a badly worn chain ring would accelerate chain wear but I guess it probably does.