105 short cage capacity

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
landsurfer

105 short cage capacity

Post by landsurfer »

Shimano 105 short cage.
The following is a standard quote for this component;
"Maximum low sprocket 23-28T with double chainset"

But what about with a single chainset, 38 tooth, full depth teeth, no ramps or pins ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Samuel D

Re: 105 short cage capacity

Post by Samuel D »

Probably about the same, give or take whatever safety margin Shimano has in these specs (perhaps substantial).

Something like this will drop the whole show down to avoid the upper pulley tinkling against a larger cassette sprocket, but it would slow shifting at the small end of the cassette because the upper pulley ends up far from the sprockets.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Thats a cunning bit of kit !
Be more Mike.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm no expert but I'm running a 105 rear mech 10 speed shorter of the two options running on a 30-12 cassette on a 50/34 compact double and, whilst I don't have the box to hand at the moment, from memory when it was fitted I double checked the box and it was max 30T cassette.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Shimano 105 short cage.

But what about with a single chainset, 38 tooth, full depth teeth, no ramps or pins ?

No worries,it'll probably event stretch to a 30t on the cassette with your 38t chainring,Shimano stats are always a little on the conservative* side.

*That's conservative with small c not a a capital C,otherwise I wouldn't use their kit :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Shimano 105 short cage.

No worries,it'll probably event stretch to a 30t on the cassette with your 38t chainring,Shimano stats are always a little on the conservative* side.

*That's conservative with small c not a a capital C,otherwise I wouldn't use their kit :wink:

LOL, LOL ... :D :D
You couldn't just leave it ....lol
Be more Mike.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the normal specification is given as

1) total capacity (rear difference plus front difference) and
2) maximum rear sprocket size.

In practice the two interact slightly and it varies from one frame to another if the hanger length varies.

The current 105 rear mechs will handle a 30T OK, may be larger still on some frames.

BTW there are lots of different 105 mechs so the correct answer will vary slightly depending on whether it is 5600, 5700, 5800, etc etc

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

The current 105 rear mechs will handle a 30T OK, may be larger still on some frames.

BTW there are lots of different 105 mechs so the correct answer will vary slightly depending on whether it is 5600, 5700, 5800, etc etc

IIRC up to 10 speed 105 kit will take a 28T max. There may be a bit of leeway as the physical limit is defined by the position of the top jockey wheel relative to the largest sprocket and this is variable depending on the style of frame dropout. The gear mechs all have an adjuster screw located on the side of the top mount housing. As supplied the screw is in mid position. Turning it clockwise will retract the jockey wheel to clear the sprocket.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I'm running 12-28 on a 42t chainring with a 5700 short cage rear mech.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

As of Saturday am happily running 13-32 with an Ultegra 6600 short cage (27 max sprocket spec) - so see no reason why a 105 5600 short cage shouldn't cope with a 32 if the hanger is positioned similar to mine on this particular bike?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

A mate is running an 11 speed Ultegra short mec with an 11-32 cassette with a 34\46 chain set. The bit that is of concern is that the short mech hasn't got the drop for big sprocket. This example works. Just. Other models may not but I would say try it. If you are definitely swapping cassettes, fit one and check it. Maybe wind the b screw in.