8-Speed Maintenance

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sukuinage

8-Speed Maintenance

Post by sukuinage »

Hi,

Last year I bought an mid 90's trekking bike very cheaply and converted it to drop handlebars and Shimergo. Over the winter I've been happily riding but have a few issues with noises from the bottom bracket and sometimes slipping with the transmission. Replacing the BB would be staightforward but it looks like I also need replacement rings which are going to cost around €80 (TA) .
I've currently got a LX M563 crankset with 58/ 94 BCD rings (22,32,42). Looking online I can get a complete Deore 9-speed chainset for around €60 and, at the cheaper end, 8-speed Acera for €30.

My questions are:

- Would I notice any difference in quality between the TA rings and the Acera chainset?
- Can I use a 9-speed chainset on an 8-speed setup and, if so, which chain would be best (8/ 9-speed)?

I'm planning on replacing the chain and cassette of course and leaving the gearing with the current 11 - 28 cassette.

Any other suggestions for upgrade are welcome - I've got older chorus 10-speed levers (pre-2006) fitted which work directly with the XT derailleur. I'd prefer to keep the original crankset but object to paying more for chainrings than it costs for a complete chainset!
hamster

Re: 8-Speed Maintenance

Post by hamster »

If the transmission is slipping then it is usually the cassette - fewer teeth means they wear faster. Check that first.

There is no dimensional difference between 9 and 8 speed chainsets or rings. TA rings are nicer machined than Shimano, and last far longer than Shimano's aluminium offerings. Some of the the lower (like Acera) Shimano chainsets use stamped steel rings - they last a long time but are crudely finished and weigh as much as a boat anchor.

Personally I think TA are the finest rings that money can buy.
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

hamster wrote:If the transmission is slipping then it is usually the cassette - fewer teeth means they wear faster. Check that first.

There is no dimensional difference between 9 and 8 speed chainsets or rings. TA rings are nicer machined than Shimano, and last far longer than Shimano's aluminium offerings. Some of the the lower (like Acera) Shimano chainsets use stamped steel rings - they last a long time but are crudely finished and weigh as much as a boat anchor.

Personally I think TA are the finest rings that money can buy.

I must say I'm tending towards the TA rings as I think they would look better on the bike, so your comments are most welcome. Actually the rings look more worn than the cassette but I've no idea what, if any, maintenance was done on the bike by the previous owner(s) so the cassette could be relatively new. A new cassette is only €13 so I'll put one on with a new chain in any case. Thought I may as well do the whole thing at once along with the BB. Despite the weather I'm using my summer bike so time for winter bike maintenance :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mybe be cheaper to buy a complete chainset?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree, a new Spa chainset and BB is going to be a better value than fitting new rings to an old chainset, and only a little more than an Acera chainset.

BTW I agree that the slipping is most likely to be the chain slipping on the sprockets rather than a fault with the chainset; the chainring teeth would need to be almost worn away completely before they cause slipping.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I can vouch for the suitability of a 9 speed chainset on an 8 speed set up.

I think this is the item I bought in 2011 for one of my steeds. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/b ... 6t-170mm/1. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/b ... 26t-170mm/

Still going strong with original bearings after approx 12,000 miles, changed out the middle and granny rings late last year although they were not that badly worn. Normally run with an 8 speed Wipperman chain. No problems, good reliable gear.

All the best, Simon
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

Thanks for the responses. I'll put a little more thought into it. The weather seems to be slowly improving so no great hurry as I'm on my summer bike :D
irc

Post by irc »

I use Deore chainsets. With aluminium outer and steel midle/inner rings the weight/longevity balance seems OK. Hard to beat at £45 including the bottom bracket from Decathlon.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/shimano-deo ... 98671.html