Bicycle lights that can be USB charged but also take double A or triple A batteries

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ehelifecycle

Bicycle lights that can be USB charged but also take double A or triple A batteries

Post by ehelifecycle »

I'm after a bicycle light that is USB chargeable front or rear or both that uses a rechargeable battery, with the same form factor as triple A or double A.

Does anyone know if they exists? because I can't seem to find them.

I think it would be a good idea because if you got to the office after a commute you could just use the light as the charging vessel and also if on a really long ride or due to unforeseen circumstances you could also just pull into a garage buy normal batteries and carry on. Or you could carry a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries to get you through the length of the journey but not need to carry a dedicated charger.

I've seen plenty of examples of this idea in isolation ie I have a USB rechargeable rear light and I have a rear light that I can put rechargeable batteries in but I don't have this option combined.

See image

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my thor using hovercraft full of eels.
AaronR

Re: Bicycle lights that can be USB charged but also take double A or triple A batteries

Post by AaronR »

I have a cateye econo front lamp that takes two AA batteries that you can plug in and charge rechargeable AA's - they use a dedicated plug in power supply to do this, but sure you could use a USB power source with the correct plug as the 5V USB uses would be more than the 2.4V the two AA cells produce

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accessorie ... w#id=56905
ehelifecycle

Re: RE: Re: Bicycle lights that can be USB charged but also take double A or triple A batteries

Post by ehelifecycle »

AaronR wrote:I have a cateye econo front lamp that takes two AA batteries that you can plug in and charge rechargeable AA's - they use a dedicated plug in power supply to do this, but sure you could use a USB power source with the correct plug as the 5V USB uses would be more than the 2.4V the two AA cells produce

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accessorie ... w#id=56905

Thanks. I could make own lead; ideally it would be good if it charged off the same micro USB that cameras and phones use.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my thor using hovercraft full of eels.
gaz

Re: Bicycle lights that can be USB charged but also take double A or triple A batteries

Post by gaz »

Whilst no longer manufactured the Philips Saferide 40Lux uses an external 4xAA battery pack which can be charged by USB. The 80Lux version carries the 4xAA in the headlamp, also USB rechargeable.

The former can still be found NOS, the latter is harder to come by. The circuitry of LED lamps is not as simple as those that use incandescent bulbs, I can't vouch for either working with 4xAA alkaline which will deliver 6v compared with the 4.8v from NiMH.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade