Budget MTB pedal advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
-LSD-

Budget MTB pedal advice

Postby -LSD- » 14 May 2017, 9:26pm

Hi all, i found this place after Google turned up this thread, which has been a great help.
I'm looking for replacement pedals at around £25. Looking around, these two seem the best bet:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.DiamondBack-Big ... _43942.htm
&
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.DMR-V8-Pedals_16886.htm

The two seem to be basically the same. Reviews on Wiggle say the DiamondBacks are based off Welgo LU987s...which seems to be the case for the DMR V8s, too. Just wondering if anyone knows how the two stack up? Especially as the DiamondBacks are just £9 on eBayat the moment!
Thanks!

Any other recommendations would also be welcome.

SimonCelsa

Re: Budget MTB pedal advice

Postby SimonCelsa » 14 May 2017, 11:39pm

DMR V8's are OK on my quasi touring bike.

Big, solid and my feet have yet to slip off, no complaints.

I have a couple of pairs of these on other bikes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEST-Titanium ... 3641.l6368. Very light and also seem pretty good although they do feel a little fragile and don;t think they'd come out too well after any altercations with kerbs etc. I paid £24 per pair which is a fairer price than the current offer,

all the best, Simon

mark a.

Postby mark a. » 14 May 2017, 11:59pm

Apparently the current hotness is plastic (nylon reinforced) pedals. They're very light, thin, surprisingly strong, cheap and the grip comes from the pins, just as it does with the fancy metal ones.

The Superstar ones are £25.

Note, I haven't tried them, and I think some people have lost pins as they've ripped out of the pedal (but after an impact that any pedal would struggle with).

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 15 May 2017, 7:10am

+1 for V8s

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 May 2017, 7:54am

mark a. wrote:Apparently the current hotness is plastic (nylon reinforced) pedals. They're very light, thin, surprisingly strong, cheap and the grip comes from the pins, just as it does with the fancy metal ones.

The Superstar ones are £25.

Note, I haven't tried them, and I think some people have lost pins as they've ripped out of the pedal (but after an impact that any pedal would struggle with).

Most them (including the superstar ones) use a DU bushing as an inboard bearing. IMHO this makes them somewhat less efficient than they could/should be. I think the benefits of a really slim pedal body are questionable, but if you really want one like that there are others: VO do an aluminium bodied pedal with decent bearings in it; 'tis pricey though.

Given the OP's choice I'd vote for V8s if you can afford them, because (I think) the Diamondback branded ones don't have inboard seals or lube port.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-LSD-

Postby -LSD- » 17 May 2017, 12:06am

Gonna go with the V8s. The grease port and the fact it's (supposedly) designed so you can replace all the bits and pieces is nice. Plus every comment i've seen is pretty positive for them, for the price.

Nylon pedals seem a little weird to me. Not sure what to think of them. I'd have thought they'd be a bit brittle.
Not a fan of the design on the linked titanium pedals either. The step to chunky studded pedals is new territory for me.

Cheers all!