Recommend narrow full 26" mudguards

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
UpWrong

Recommend narrow full 26" mudguards

Post by UpWrong »

Any recommendations for narrow 26" (559) mudguards? Something around 40mm maybe so that they suit 28-32mm tyres. Most 26" guards seem to be 50 or 60mm wide.
whoof

Re: Recommend narrow full 26" mudguards

Post by whoof »

Not used these but at least they exist. 26" by 40 mm.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... oCz__w_wcB
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC Gilles Berthoud do (or did) a mudguard that might work for you.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/26-x-40-gilles-berthoud-26-stainless-steel-mudguards-long/

Just check the sizing carefully before you buy; vendors will list the width measured in one of two different ways

1) as measured using calipers or

2) as measured using a flexible tape laid over the top of the mudguard

needless to say the measurements are quite different in each case.

BTW with these mudguards I recommend fitting at least an additional stay/mount to the rear mudguard if you want to be sure to avoid cracking at the seatstay bridge mount.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

whoof wrote:Not used these but at least they exist. 26" by 40 mm.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... oCz__w_wcB

Good value but they're for both 26 & 28" also so probably not the close fit I am after.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Brucey wrote:IIRC Gilles Berthoud do (or did) a mudguard that might work for you.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/26-x-40-gilles-berthoud-26-stainless-steel-mudguards-long/

Just check the sizing carefully before you buy; vendors will list the width measured in one of two different ways

1) as measured using calipers or

2) as measured using a flexible tape laid over the top of the mudguard

needless to say the measurements are quite different in each case.

BTW with these mudguards I recommend fitting at least an additional stay/mount to the rear mudguard if you want to be sure to avoid cracking at the seatstay bridge mount.

cheers

Look nice but rather pricey.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

I have a pair of GB 26" stainless steel guards - they measure exactly 40mm in width - not fitted yet. I got them from PlanetX for £9.99 - it was their last pair :D

I use 700C GB guards on 2 other bikes and a pair of 26" x 50mm on another - in excess of 18000 miles with zero problems. They still look good apart from very minor salt disclouring where the alu stays bolt to the stainless steel guards.

I've not yet got around to fitting extra stays - at least they are available separately :D

Oh and SKS rubber mudflaps fit a treat after a suitable 5mm hole has been drilled

I'm very happy with them :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

deliquium wrote:I have a pair of GB 26" stainless steel guards - they measure exactly 40mm in width - not fitted yet. I got them from PlanetX for £9.99 - it was their last pair :D

I use 700C GB guards on 2 other bikes and a pair of 26" x 50mm on another - in excess of 18000 miles with zero problems. They still look good apart from very minor salt disclouring where the alu stays bolt to the stainless steel guards.

I've not yet got around to fitting extra stays - at least they are available separately :D

Oh and SKS rubber mudflaps fit a treat after a suitable 5mm hole has been drilled

I'm very happy with them :D

That's a bargain price. Are they noticeably heavy being steel?
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

UpWrong wrote:That's a bargain price. Are they noticeably heavy being steel?

I believe they're lighter than chromoplastics :shock: Partly because they use aluminium stays (and there is only one stay per guard)

Just weighed the 26" x 40mm Long Gilles Berthoud guards with all the fixing bolts = 535g
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have a set of SKS Silver Chromoplastic new guards 700c by 38mm OD ... unused ... free to collector ....
Last edited by landsurfer on 19 May 2017, 5:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Tortec mudguards are good (similar to SKS but slightly heavier and - in my experience - stronger, with better bolts) and are available in 26" narrow.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I checked P-X this morning and they no longer have anything Gilles Berthoud in stock. I bought some of the bargain mudguards too, when they had them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RJS

Post by RJS »

Hi UpWrong,
I've got a pair of Dia-Compe ENE Polished 26" mudguards 40mm (straight) across, with fittings, unused, They were £43.10 with shipping. If they are of any use, make me an offer, I've had them 2 or 3 years, they need to go! The guards are aluminium, bought as a present for me, for a bike with old British wheels size 26" x 1 1/4", 597, these are for 559.
Cheers, Rob.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Thanks for the ideas and offers. I've been able to make do with a pair of SKS 700c mudguards I have by cutting the front one a bit shorter and changing from a double stay to a single stay.
lasyrabbit

Post by lasyrabbit »

Careful when you do that.

I used the 28" sks guards on my 26" wheels and they have snapped in 3 places. Now all held together with tape. My next set will be the narrow 26" Tortec recommended above.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

You were right, the 28" guards split. I have ordered a pair of the Tortec 26" narrow guards.