Recommend narrow full 26" mudguards

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
UpWrong

Re: Recommend narrow full 26" mudguards

Post by UpWrong »

Mudguards arrived. Label says 26x1.6 but they are not. They are as big or bigger than some 700 guards I have. I'm suspicious that the retailer (JE JAMES) swapped labels. The 26" guards are £5 more than the 700 guards so makes you wonder. However I can't see any evidence of tampering with the label so maybe it's Tortec's fault for the mislabelling - kind of hard to believe though. Can't be bothered to send them back. Will keep them by for another bike.

Which leaves me undecided about whether to order another pair from another retailer (hoping that they are not all oversized) or fit a pair of smaller and wider 700 SKS guards I have.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one of the problems you may have is size. By which I mean that 700C sized wheels are actually close to 26.5" dia when fitted with narrower tyres, (hence 26" mudguards (*) look quite like narrow 700C ones) whereas 559 size wheels are only as large as 26" dia when they are fitted with ~2" tyres. If you fit them with ~28mm tyres, then the wheel is actually less than 24-1/2" diameter.

(*) traditional 26x1-1/4", 26x1-3/8", 26x1-1/2" sizes each use a different rim size, being 597, 590, 584mm respectively so that the wheel is actually 26" when fitted with the correct size tyre. These wheels use mudguards that are all the same diameter but of different widths, whereas 559 ones of different widths ought to be different diameter too.

Thus you need to be sure that the mudguards you are buying are really meant for the wheel/tyre size you are going to use. You might be better off with some 24" mudguards in fact. One reason I suggested the GB mudguards is that they can (with a little animal cunning) be reshaped to fit wheels of slightly different (smaller) diameter. Same goes for aluminium ones.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Funnily enough I have some 24" muguards (by Vavert) which I tried to fit but were just a litte small. Frustrating. I really want a good fit so I've ordered another brand of narrow 26" guards. Keeping mum about what at the moment though will report back next week after they arrive. Might have gone with the GB but wanted black!

EDIT: Just wanted to add that if what I received were genuine Tortec 26" then I think they are having a laugh to market them as any different to 700c guards. But I do take your point that 26" covers a multitude of sizes now.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I have now fitted a rear Blackburn Cloudbuster 26"x45mm mudgard obtained from SJS cycles, currently on sale at £11.99. These came well packaged. I am impressed with the quality, however the stays are attached to the guards by plastic threaded guides rather than the usual metal eyelet and bolt arrangement, so cutting the stays to the right length requires care. Measuring the right length is a little tricky, bit of a catch 22 since the guards need to be in place before you can get the correct length. No reflector, comes with a single sliding bridge for the rear. I borrowed a metal bridge from an old pair to use on the chain stays, and used the bridge it came with for the seat stays.

I'm happy with the end result. Quite light and firmly attached. Disadvantage is you can't leave excess stay length in place to move the mudguard out for wider tyres should you wish to change later.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'm after the same sort of thing - see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116153&p=1149125#p1149125
Looking at the Tortec ones, they have widths such as 1.0-1.5 - I'm assuming that's the tyre width? I've not seen that on mudguards before, I've only seen 5mm, etc., which I assumed was the narrowest point?
Ta!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I got the Tortec 26x1.6" ones and put them on my Mrs' 700c hybrid with 32mm tyres. They were too big for 559 wheels.