Bottom Bracket Screeching after a couple months

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mnichols

Bottom Bracket Screeching after a couple months

Post by mnichols »

I changed my chainset and bottom bracket in March and today when I was cleaning the bike I noticed that it squeaks when I turn the pedals

I've a few bikes so I would surprised if it's done a thousand miles

It's a Stronglight JP400 Plastic Cups from Spa Cycles

I'm off to Spain for two weeks cycling in 10 days so need to get this sorted

Should I just replace it? Are there better quality ones? Is this a bad product or have just been unlucky?

How do I tell what size I need? I've got an engima Etape - I'm finding it very difficult to get the crank and chainset - should I just brute force it?
Brucey

Re: Bottom Bracket Screeching after a couple months

Post by Brucey »

I'd do two things before condemning the BB

1) check that the BB is the thing that is squeaking (and that it isn't the chain, the pedals, the front mech touching, etc etc) and
2) Use a little spray lube at the BB seals to see if the squeak goes away or not; it could easily be a dry seal lip or something.

Even if the BB is bad, they usually develop free play before they clap out altogether. I don't know for sure that a JP400 will always do that, but I'd say it is a fair bet.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've taken the chain off and I'm just spinning the crank, and it's squeaking and there seems to be a point of resistance

The BB was only £10, so I don't mind buying another one, but I would expect it last more than a couple of months

I'm guessing at £10 it's replace rather than service?

Also, cranks seem very hard to remove - should I take a mallet to it? should they be that hard to remove after 2 months?
gaz

Post by gaz »

mnichols wrote:Also, cranks seem very hard to remove - should I take a mallet to it? should they be that hard to remove after 2 months?

Do not use a mallet. Follow the Parktool guide to removing cranks, with apologies if you already know how this should be done.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks - just watched youtube video....good job I didn't start banging it with a mallet!

I'll see if I've got one in my toolkit otherwise I'll order one when I order the BB
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I think Spa should be giving me a new BB after only two months
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Got the BB out and it squeaks when I turn it in my hand. Also the middle sheath is loose (I can move it vertically) is that correct?

Are there better makes?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I'd go for a shimano bb-un55. I wouldn't consider anything else in the £10 to £15 price range. Just make sure you grease it well before installing, especially all surfaces of the nds cup because it's made of aluminium and can creak if dry.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

mnichols wrote:I changed my chainset and bottom bracket in March and today when I was cleaning the bike I noticed that it squeaks when I turn the pedals

It's a Stronglight JP400 Plastic Cups from Spa Cycles

My experience with a couple of these bottom brackets was not good. Just didn't last long, became stiff and rumbly.
I couldn't get anything else in Italian thread at the time, but the Shimano UN55 I have fitted since has so far proven to be much longer lasting.