Yet another creaking sound

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Grarea

Re: Yet another creaking sound

Post by Grarea »

Well, I thought you were on to something there.

I sprayed ample GT85 into the holes with the frame upside down.
Set it so that the down tube was horizontal and upside down, rocked it back and forth and left it for a couple of hours.
No difference disappointingly. :(

- So, then took the stem off, no difference.
- Removed the fork. Still the same.

It does seem like it might be either a cracked frame or just noise emanating from the bottle cage bosses doesn't it?
I guess that maybe the lube isn't enough for the bosses.
The only other thing I can't completely remove from the equation is the headset as that is pressed in.
Farrina

Post by Farrina »

Grarea wrote:- Removed crankset. Noise still there, so it isn't the chainring bolts either then

Little bit confused by this (I am easily confused!)

Do you mean you removed the crankset and noise was still there or that you removed crankset, tested bolts and noise was still there once reattached

Only reason I ask was that I was driven mad for months with a creak, likewise checked chainring bolts which were tight. By swapping out half the components on the bike (handy I have two almost identical bikes) it was apparent it was the chainset.

I eventually resolved it by applying grease where the chain rings met the crank spider before reattaching said chain rings.

Good luck, these things spoil the man and machine in perfect harmony thing, although I'm not sure what I shall do once my knees start creaking!

Regards

Alan
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Farrina wrote:
Grarea wrote:- Removed crankset. Noise still there, so it isn't the chainring bolts either then

Little bit confused by this (I am easily confused!)

Do you mean you removed the crankset and noise was still there or that you removed crankset, tested bolts and noise was still there once reattached

Only reason I ask was that I was driven mad for months with a creak, likewise checked chainring bolts which were tight. By swapping out half the components on the bike (handy I have two almost identical bikes) it was apparent it was the chainset.

I eventually resolved it by applying grease where the chain rings met the crank spider before reattaching said chain rings.

Good luck, these things spoil the man and machine in perfect harmony thing, although I'm not sure what I shall do once my knees start creaking!

Regards

Alan

You CAN actually only just hear it above my pounding heart and my heavy breathing.... so it must be loud.

I understand your confusion.
Thank you for your input.
I completely removed the crankset and could still create the sound by flexing the frame by hand.
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Well, I messaged the manufacturer and originally they suggested that it was probably a component.
(Which I agree with)

Then I gave the list of things that I have tried and they said it might be worth me sending it for further investigation.
So I will see what is suggested along those lines.

Seems like we may have exhausted at least most of the possible scenarios.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

is there anything left bolted to the frame?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

:)
Yes, I kept putting things back on each time.
I still have a working bike.
In hindsight it would have been quicker to just strip it down completely.
Ah well.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

apologies if this is obvious but if there is more than one thing making a creaking sound, removing parts one at a time won't ever eliminate it...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

That IS a valid point.

I am pretty confident that it is in the same place.
I am standing over the frame and flexing it by hand listening for it.

You are right though, I will need to do a complete strip down to be positive.
I got all excited when the bottle cage bosses idea came up so did that first.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Did you remove the bottom bracket? When tackling my creaky MTB, I finally removed the BB, at which point I realised that I only had the frame as a possible source for the gremlin.

Do you have a second pair of wheels to fit? All sorts of things on wheels can get creaky.

If it's not a component or the rivnut bottle bosses, try spraying the GT85 around the frame welds, inside and out. Always one at a time.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Did you remove the bottom bracket? When tackling my creaky MTB, I finally removed the BB, at which point I realised that I only had the frame as a possible source for the gremlin.

Do you have a second pair of wheels to fit? All sorts of things on wheels can get creaky.

If it's not a component or the rivnut bottle bosses, try spraying the GT85 around the frame welds, inside and out. Always one at a time.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Try this. With wheels in the frame stand to the side of the bike one hand on the saddle and the other on the end of the bar. Tip the bike away from you so it's near to 45 degrees to the ground. Carefully place your foot on the centre bolt of the crank then push and listen for a creak. Repeat on the other side. If the noises are different you may well have a crack in the frame (it could be other things too). Repeat the process with the cranks and bracket removed and if the results are the same it is even more likely.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

OK, thanks guys.
Yes, I already tried it without the wheels.

Did the 45 degree thing, good idea.

So, it makes the noise with the bottom bracket in.
It kind of resets it when you push it the other way.
Sometimes it clicks back without having to push it from the other side sometimes it doesn't.

Take the bottom bracket out completely.
It makes the noise but less often. It is harder to create the noise. But you still get the 'tick' rather than it not being there.
Turn it upside down and push on it and the noise is easier to make. (Still without the BB)
I think because you get more leverage against the bars to twist against.
I think perhaps when the BB is in, it rigidifies (?) the BB shell and creates more of a twist up the down tube perhaps?

Edit:
I shall tried spraying each joint on the outside. No go.
I shall have to do internally when I strip it down.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I suspect a crack at the base of the seat tube. The slightly noisier reaction with the axle in could be because the additional width is encouraging a twist or torque element to the push (rather than a purely lateral force) that would open a crack at the base of the seat tube.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Can you post when you find out what it was for people reading this in the future
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Yes, absolutely.
It is a Ragley. I initially contacted them to see if there had been any recalls or common problems with it.
They said no, it was probably a component.
After doing all the suggestions on here, I gave them a list of what I had done, asking if it was possible it was something else.

I really don't want to be bothered with sending it off, let alone not having it, let alone taking a day off to be in to receive it again.

So, they said to contact CRC (where I bought it from) for further investigations as there is actually a five year warranty on the frames.
I have made initial contact with CRC and am waiting for them to respond.