Can anyone help diagnose clicking noise on my new b,twin hoptown 300 folding bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bikehopper1

Can anyone help diagnose clicking noise on my new b,twin hoptown 300 folding bike

Post by Bikehopper1 »

Can anyone help diagnose clicking noise on my hoptown 300 folding bike , clicking can be heard 1 minute into video. Only happens when peddling under load. Sometimes although rarely the noise goes completely but 80% of the time it is there. In the last 15 seconds of the video I have managed to stop the noise after peddling backwards a few times. Any help gladly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/eH9xvFq6xW0

cycleruk

Re: Can anyone help diagnose clicking noise on my new b,twin hoptown 300 folding bike

Post by cycleruk »

Lift the bike up and turn the pedals to see if you can source the click.
Or upturn the bike and rest it on the bars and saddle. Then turn the cranks.
Could be chain touching the plastic chain guards.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
landsurfer

Re: Can anyone help diagnose clicking noise on my new b,twin hoptown 300 folding bike

Post by landsurfer »

Ends of your shoe laces hitting the cranks as you increase power and flex the uppers of you shoes ...... took me 2 months to realise this was my "ticking" issue .... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

Long distance diagnosis of creaks, clunks, clicks and other mysterious noises is fraught with difficulty. The noise does not appear to occur once per revolution of either the wheel or the cranks which is the usual way to begin eliminating possible causes. It does not sound good.

If it is new from Decathlon, take it back. Let them find the cause.

If it's simply new to you then check for any play in pedals, bottom bracket bearings, cranks, rear hub bearings, freewheel bearings, stiff links in chain, seatpost and saddle clamp. Lubricate or adjust one component at a time. Ride it again after each adjustment to see if you've found the source.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bikehopper1

Post by Bikehopper1 »

Thank you for the quick replies, it does not click when bike is lifted of the ground why turning peddle, only happens when riding making it much harder to hear where the noise is coming from, Bike is new from decathlon but my nearest decathlon is 80 miles away, really happy with the bike apart from the clicking noise which is hard to ignore, I am sure I could return for an exchange but then thinking what if the replacement comes with something else I am not happy with, as apart from the clicking this seems perfect with nice true wheels etc. I have also added mud guards, side stand, bar bag, lights and computer.

Would it be worth replacing the freewheel? and if so can this be done without disturbing the wheel bearings and the cones etc.

Imagefree pic
gaz

Post by gaz »

It's not worth replacing anything until you know what is causing the noise. Double check the various clamps on the folding mechanism are both secure and secured correctly.

Check parts one at a time, adjust or lubricate one at a time.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Sounds like it might be the clear plastic disc on the right of the rear wheel. Totally unnecessary on this bike as it's designed as a fail-safe on deraillier bikes to stop the chain overshooting into the spokes. Am I right in thinking it stops when you stop pedalling?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I agree that it could be the spoke protector. You could cut it off with a pair of scissors without havingto take the freewheel off. If it's not that I think it's mostlikely something else related to the back wheel.
Bikehopper1

Post by Bikehopper1 »

peetee wrote:Sounds like it might be the clear plastic disc on the right of the rear wheel. Totally unnecessary on this bike as it's designed as a fail-safe on deraillier bikes to stop the chain overshooting into the spokes. Am I right in thinking it stops when you stop pedalling?

Hi, yes stops on peddling. Received a replacement bike and it does exactly the same. But now I also have another problem, bottom bracket had play so I thought maybe just needs the play adjusting, on unscrewing the locking ring I gave it another pull on the cranks to see how much play there was and the actual cone was rocking on its thread, I understand the lock ring keeps everything tight but surely the cone should still be a better fit to the frame so that it can not rock on the threads, I tightened up the play but I really have no confidence in the quality of this bike now, I understand it was a low cost folder but I still hoped it would be better quality than a supermarket bike. It's a shame as I really liked the bmx style look of this folder.
Bikehopper1

Post by Bikehopper1 »

Video showing play in bottom bracket cup. https://youtu.be/MZ0Mi8nNbLY
Contacted decathlon and they said take it to a local bike shop for repair and send decathlon the invoice for reimbursement.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

In the mean time, can you tell what you think of the 300? I am looking for a folder, but cannot afford the likes of Tern and such
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
peetee

Post by peetee »

It's not uncommon for the adjustable cup to move in such a way. It's not ideal for that much movement and this is likely to be because of shallow threads on the bracket shell. Cheaper frames (and some expensive ones!) have bracket shells that are formed from a flat sheet that is heated and beaten into shape, looped and welded. It rarely ends up perfectly circular so when the threads are cut they are shallow and inconsistent. Usually, a tight lockring holds it but invariably the cup is slightly eccentric so the bearings are not perfectly true. That makes adjustment very difficult but the general rule is to adjust the cup slightly over-tight then tighten the lockring which effectively pulls the cup out slightly.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bikehopper1

Post by Bikehopper1 »

Would it be better if I try and fit a cartridge bottom bracket? If so how hard is it to get the chain side cup out without the park tool? Am I likely to need the standard 68mm cartridge and just need to measure the axel length?

I guess another option would be to use a threadless bottom bracket if my threads are poor. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREADLESS-BO ... CvP4IypVmw
gaz

Post by gaz »

Bikehopper1 wrote:If so how hard is it to get the chain side cup out without the park tool?

See Sheldon Brown's DIY tool.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

creaks and clicks are very difficult to pin down on ordinary bikes, but folding ones have lots of extra places where such noises can be generated.

If the noise only happens when you pedal, it is tempting to assume it is the cranks or BB. But it needn't be; it can be the saddle, seat pin, handlebars, frame hinge, pedals, stem, wheels... the list is endless.

So before starting to take bits out like BBs, I'd strongly recommend that you do some very careful diagnosis first; the loose cup may or may not be where the noise is coming from.

BTW if the threads are a bit of a loose/slack fit, I'd suggest using a suitable adhesive (eg epoxy resin) to hold the fixed cup in place.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~