Rumbling Rohloff

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ukdodger

Re: Rumbling Rohloff

Post by ukdodger »

Brucey wrote:I'm struggling to think of an IGH where the sprocket mounting doesn't also include part of the sealing/dust shield retention. If it is a bad design it seems a very common one.

Also, don't Rohloff recommend that you don't lay the hub down on its side anyway?

BTW did the changes sort out the transmission noise you had?

cheers

Heh. Maybe they did havent looked. The sprocket is just butt up to a rubber seal it just doesnt seem right. What happens if the sprocket facing gets scratched.

Havent put is all back together yet. After every tour I service the whole bike but I will post when done.

That oil is £10 a go. What do you think of using hydraulic fluid?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

ukdodger wrote:...
Heh. Maybe they did havent looked. The sprocket is just butt up to a rubber seal it just doesnt seem right. What happens if the sprocket facing gets scratched.

Those sprockets are made of pretty good steel that is heat-treated after, I cannot see them been easily "scratched", likely you will blunt the screwdriver if you try to.

ukdodger wrote:That oil is £10 a go. What do you think of using hydraulic fluid?

NO! completely different stuff! :!:

I know it sound expensive, but I don't think has a low shelf-life so you may think of buying the 1lt can for £50 or so, it will last a lifetime (as the hub does): https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/tools-c1 ... n-1l-p7463
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Gattonero wrote:

Those sprockets are made of pretty good steel that is heat-treated after, I cannot see them been easily "scratched", likely you will blunt the screwdriver if you try to.

ukdodger wrote:That oil is £10 a go. What do you think of using hydraulic fluid?

I know it sound expensive, but I don't think has a low shelf-life so you may think of buying the 1lt can for £50 or so, it will last a lifetime (as the hub does): https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/tools-c1 ... n-1l-p7463

Thanks for that but that looks like just the flushing oil. This looks like a good deal:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/rohlo ... 0014-8409/
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Gattonero wrote:

Actually I meant Transmission fluid not Hydraulic. Dunno what's up with me today!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

ATF isn't anywhere near as good a lubricant as a decent synthetic gear oil, so I'd suggest that you get that instead.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Brucey wrote:ATF isn't anywhere near as good a lubricant as a decent synthetic gear oil, so I'd suggest that you get that instead.

cheers

Already got some. But is it really a decent alternative?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The original one in 1lt can.

You could have a lifetime supply, or sell the excess :wink:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Rohloff make it quite clear that if you use any different oil you will invalidate the guarantee. Although it sounds like marketing they make the point that there are some special plastics used for seals which you risk damaging if you use another oil.

Given the cost of the gear and the price of the oil if you buy it in bulk, is it really worth taking the risk? You can actually reduce the amount of lubricating oil you put in to 15ml which makes it a bit cheaper and means there is less surplus leaking out. I wouldn't cut down on the flushing oil, though.

There are lots of Rohloff posts over in the Thorn forum
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

LollyKat wrote:Rohloff make it quite clear that if you use any different oil you will invalidate the guarantee. Although it sounds like marketing they make the point that there are some special plastics used for seals which you risk damaging if you use another oil.

Given the cost of the gear and the price of the oil if you buy it in bulk, is it really worth taking the risk? You can actually reduce the amount of lubricating oil you put in to 15ml which makes it a bit cheaper and means there is less surplus leaking out. I wouldn't cut down on the flushing oil, though.

There are lots of Rohloff posts over in the Thorn forum

Interesting reading there lollyKat thanks.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I agree with LollyKat; a synthetic gear oil is going to be better than ATF but is a risk vs the recommended oil (which is a synthetic gear oil, exact type unknown).

The smoke and mirrors come expensive.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Definitely stick to the Rohloff oil. The SJS 250ml pack of cleaner and oil for £40 could last 10 years!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

geocycle wrote:Definitely stick to the Rohloff oil. The SJS 250ml pack of cleaner and oil for £40 could last 10 years!

I agree. Just ordered it.
PH

Post by PH »

ukdodger wrote:
geocycle wrote:Definitely stick to the Rohloff oil. The SJS 250ml pack of cleaner and oil for £40 could last 10 years!

There used to be a thriving market in group buying the 1 ltr cans and splitting it, sometimes organised through the Thorn forum. I think someone spotted this market and the 250 size is cleverly priced to be a good bit dearer but not really enough to warrant the hassle of doing it yourself.
The third of a litre I bought with the hub 14 years ago for £25 is just running out, it's been cheap enough to change more frequently than needed when I'm doing other maintenance jobs. it would have cost a fortune to buy in the single shot packs.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

PH wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

There used to be a thriving market in group buying the 1 ltr cans and splitting it, sometimes organised through the Thorn forum. I think someone spotted this market and the 250 size is cleverly priced to be a good bit dearer but not really enough to warrant the hassle of doing it yourself.
The third of a litre I bought with the hub 14 years ago for £25 is just running out, it's been cheap enough to change more frequently than needed when I'm doing other maintenance jobs. it would have cost a fortune to buy in the single shot packs.

Yes, I got mine through one of those cooperative deals. I finished my allocation of cleaning oil last year and the oil itself will probably do another 3+ changes. The 250 ml size is probably the best compromise for most folk. The litre cans are a bit OTT for any individual and was one of my (few) gripes with Rohloff at the time.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

PH wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

Am I wrong or isnt that 1ltr the flushing oil.