How often to service De Rosa road bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnk1

How often to service De Rosa road bike

Post by johnk1 »

How often do I need to get my De Rosa serviced?
Samuel D

Re: How often to service De Rosa road bike

Post by Samuel D »

Well, it’s not an airliner. Service intervals on a bicycle are vague at the best of times. I don’t bother observing any fixed schedule, although I believe Campagnolo has attempted to outline such a thing. I just clean, lubricate, adjust, and replace parts as the need arises.

Obviously the frequency depends greatly on how the bicycle is used.

Describe your use and we can offer some very approximate guidance.
johnk1

Post by johnk1 »

I use my road bike as cross training for rowing and do a 28 mile ride once a week. I ride on roads that aren't too bad but there are some rough bits
Cheers
John
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you ride in the wet and/or in the winter (when there is salt on the roads) then your bike will need a lot more attention than if you only ride when the roads are dry in the summertime.

The most important thing is that you keep stuff clean (and that you wash any road salt off immediately after a ride), check that tyres are not worn, don't have flints in and are correctly inflated, that brake blocks don't have crud embedded in them, that the gears are adjusted and that the chain and mechs etc are adequately lubricated. This is all stuff you can (should) do yourself, on a frequent basis.

If you do this, the bike may only need 'a service' once a year or so at your projected mileage. After 1500 miles of typical use, expect to need a new chain and cassette, maybe new gear cables, and maybe new tyres (if you are hard on them and/or use lightweight ones).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
johnk1

Post by johnk1 »

Brucey, That's great thanks. I use it all year round and try to avoid rain but sometimes I get caught out!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you ride all year round then you do need to be careful to wash your bike in the wintertime; even if winter roads appear to be dry, there will still be damp patches and road salt. The deposited brine becomes incredibly concentrated once the (slightly dirty) bike is parked somewhere dry; it can even corrode stainless steel, and aluminium doesn't really stand a chance. Bikes without mudguards suffer much worse than those that have them.

Parts like pedals, seat pin, handlebar stem etc can easily become seized; these parts need to be removed at regular intervals and refitted using an appropriate anti-seize compound. Most bike shops won't include this in a service or repair unless you specifically request it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
johnk1

Post by johnk1 »

Mines a carbon frame but I'll wash it anyway especially all the parts you mention. I can remove those parts myself and I'll do that each year after the service
Cheers