upgrading campagolo veloce

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
webber

upgrading campagolo veloce

Post by webber »

hi all ive got a moser tk1 with veloce and proton wheels which I would like to put on a diet :lol: and was thinking about upgrading the groupset to chorus or record but would like to keep it silver which means 8/9 speed would I save much weight and would the shifting be any better ?? or should I stay with the veloce 10 speed ??
pwa

Re: upgrading campagolo veloce

Post by pwa »

Use it until it stops working. It's legs wot makes yer bike fast. Spend on some zippy tyres instead.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you won't save much weight and even if you did it wouldn't make you faster. Realistically if you changed it all for Record you might save ~300g and that is going to make you 0.5% quicker, tops.

If you want to go faster, make sure your equipment is set up right, get some decent tyres, and do some more training.

Especially the last one!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

I used to know a dedicated club cyclist who had been helping to run his club for years. His favourite discipline was time trialing. His bikes all had mostly Shimano 105 stuff, not because he was skint but because he knew that putting dearer stuff on them was a waste of money. He was fast enough, and faster than some with dearer kit. If you want to be fast you need decent stuff, well maintained, and proper training.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You could go to Potenza - it's available in silver and has all the technology of the higher groupsets without the carbon. That means you could later drop Record, Chorus or even SR parts in if you wanted to.

If you want to drop some serious weight consider saddle/seatpost/stem/bars as an upgrade point. I trimmed over 500g by fitting some different parts - many off the peg bikes save money on these parts. Buy a set of Zonda wheels and you'll drop your weight by maybe 500g and as Brucey says, change your rubber - the fastest out there atm are Conti GP4000sII's - not cheap but we'll worth the money.

A lighter bike won't make you fitter but it will give you a mental boost.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

:roll:
What's the obsession with weight in leisure cycling?
A kilo either way makes no noticeable difference.

I lost 4kg for a cycling holiday to majorca in April. If I could be bothered I could lose another 3kg.
I carry 800g of stuff I don't need on club rides ( wallet, hrm, keys, watch, big Garmin)

If you're not a 5%bodyfat racer component weight is small change.

Decent tyres, clean drivetrain, well set up bike? Maybe half an hour extra of interval training a week and a bit of yoga instead?
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I used to know a dedicated club cyclist who had been helping to run his club for years. His favourite discipline was time trialing. His bikes all had mostly Shimano 105 stuff, not because he was skint but because he knew that putting dearer stuff on them was a waste of money.

Shimano 105 vs. Ultegra review
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/201 ... no-ultegra

The review suggest no significant difference in quality between 105 and Ultergra, but with the latter you pay an extra £342 to save 253grams. Go for the Ultegra if you really want, but for Joe Soap its £342 wasted.
geomannie
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

I'd swap the BB and chainset for Record (on square taper most likely as cheapest option) simply because they're gorgeous and buttery smooth to ride. The rest will work fine, and I would upgrade piecemeal as it wears out. Might take a while though. I've got a set of 9spd Veloce levers still going strong after 18 years!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

webber wrote:hi all ive got a moser tk1 with veloce and proton wheels which I would like to put on a diet :lol: and was thinking about upgrading the groupset to chorus or record but would like to keep it silver which means 8/9 speed would I save much weight and would the shifting be any better ?? or should I stay with the veloce 10 speed ??

Use the groupset until it lasts, then decide how much money you can spend on it.
It's your bike, you do whatever you want of it, even if shaving 1kg does not make a great difference it could make you happy, it's your bike and your money you're well entitled to be, even if other people will be pissed off. Treat yourself if you want to.
Perhaps you won't save much weight by replacing the Proton wheels, the only way to shave serious weight on the wheels is going for carbon rims, though is expensive and not a great idea if you ride a lot on wet roads.

There's lots of pro's and con's, your budget and your riding style&use are the key factors.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

^^^^^ +1
It's "Horses for courses",
An F1 racing car is fast and light BUT it's no good at touring, towing a caravan or getting the weekly shop.
It's also cramped, difficult to drive and VERY expensive!

Much like a Track bike, But you wouldn't want to ride it for any distance or indeed on the road.
laager

Post by laager »

Last edited by laager on 20 Apr 2018, 12:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

laager wrote:
webber wrote:...would like to keep it silver which means 8/9 speed...

Pre 2015 Athena 11s (2x11) is available in all silver. With the right tools and parts you can also have all silver 11s Athena with Ultra Shift and Ultra Torque.

The new Potenza groupset is available in silver, has ample gear range (34x32) and is light too. Seems a very good option at a reasonable price; I've tried a bike with it, both the front and rear shifting was very very good, especially at the front the shifting is miles ahead of Sram 8)
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

nigelnightmare wrote:^^^^^ +1
It's "Horses for courses",
An F1 racing car is fast and light BUT it's no good at touring, towing a caravan or getting the weekly shop.
It's also cramped, difficult to drive and VERY expensive!

Much like a Track bike, But you wouldn't want to ride it for any distance or indeed on the road.

To be fair, you could do some touring with a road bike or even a single-speed. Perhaps not crazy distances but a weekend or more is perfectly achievable. As long as the bike is setup comfortably for the rider, that is the key IMO.
Two years ago I did the coast of Norfolk, which is relatively flat, on a single-speed with bags strapped on it. Having the whole bike+gear&food weighting 15kg in total, did help considerably and it was somewhat amusing to overtake people with road bikes :mrgreen:

The downside of using a lightweight/expensive road bike is that you really don't want to leave it around, i.e. when going to visit a town/museum/castle/etc.; also delicate during transport when left in the train carriage/ferry/etc. due to the light frame being easy to dent :(
laager

Post by laager »

Last edited by laager on 20 Apr 2018, 12:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is swings and roundabouts though; Potenza PS for the rear allows multiple downshifts ( not quite as many, but enough for a typical double-shift) and one-at-a-time upshifts. The upshifts are very fast and prodding the button (which is reshaped to be more accessible than US) several times isn't exactly a big deal. The Potenza upshift button is easier to use from the drops too. I guess if you are used to US then you won't like any change but for other folk it might be a bit more like splitting hairs...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~