Stainless Steel water bottles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Post by Sweep »

To clarify del, is it the 800 ml one you bought?

And does the nose offending sports cap fit in that?
Sweep
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Sweep wrote:To clarify del, is it the 800 ml one you bought?

And does the nose offending sports cap fit in that?

Bought the 532ml*. As I understand it, the various caps/tops fit across the size range - the 'sports cap' is available separately and only in one size.

The nose offending cap is easily(?) overcome by turning the bottle so the jutty out angled hooky bit is to the left or right. And maybe I just need to apply some operator learning experience and 'the problem' will cease to exist after a few more rides?

The good thing is the efficacy of the spout (and its separate air valve) so that a sueezy bottle isn't necessary :)

* See Velominati "The Rules" #52 - Bidons are to be small in size. 500-610ml maximum, no extra large vessels are to be seen on one’s machine. Two cages can be mounted, but only one bidon on rides under two hours is to be employed. Said solo bidon must be placed in the downtube cage only. You may only ride with a bidon in the rear cage if you have a front bidon, or you just handed your front bidon to a fan at the roadside and you are too busy crushing everyone to move it forward until you take your next drink. Bidons should match each other and preferably your bike and/or kit. The obvious exception is the classic Coca-Cola bidon which by default matches any bike and/or kit due to its heritage. Coca-Cola should only be consumed flat and near the end of a long ride or all-day solo breakaway on the roads of France.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply dell. They do look nice. It would be the 800ml for me,and poss the near 2 litre one for the expedition tourer.
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Sweep wrote:Thanks for the reply dell. They do look nice. It would be the 800ml for me,and poss the near 2 litre one for the expedition tourer.

I have the 2lt one and it is really nice. Not taking it on tour now as it weighs a lot full and was throwing off my balanced load... oh well back to water bottles in cages.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Deliquium, when may we view this potable joy framed by one of your pedalable joys ?
Nu-Fogey
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

honesty wrote:
I have the 2lt one and it is really nice. Not taking it on tour now as it weighs a lot full and was throwing off my balanced load... oh well back to water bottles in cages.

Isn't most of the weight water?

Couldn't you mount it centrally within the frame triangle in a Topeak Modula bottle holder?

I got a 2 litre plastic bottle in one of those at the weekend though I clearly need a strap of some sort - although the bottle fitted in the cage it jumped out 3 times on the way to a Hyde Park picnic - just need to sort some sort of upper bottle restraint that won't throw me over the bars if it comes undone and then goes in the front wheel.

Suggestions welcome.
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Sweep wrote:
honesty wrote:

Isn't most of the weight water?

Couldn't you mount it centrally within the frame triangle in a Topeak Modula bottle holder?

I got a 2 litre plastic bottle in one of those at the weekend though I clearly need a strap of some sort - although the bottle fitted in the cage it jumped out 3 times on the way to a Hyde Park picnic - just need to sort some sort of upper bottle restraint that won't throw me over the bars if it comes undone and then goes in the front wheel.

Suggestions welcome.

That was the plan yeh, but I don't have the cage yet... I may just stick it on top of the rack if I can make room/get it to stay still.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

colin54 wrote:Deliquium, when may we view this potable joy framed by one of your pedalable joys ?

The Moulton TSR is currently undergoing an accessorised colour mini makeover (perhaps in another life I could return as a nail art technician?) Out with the black Brooks Imperial + out with the whacky multicoloured gear and brake cable outers. In with a honey Brooks Imperial + in with singular coloured BROWN cables. The even more expensive (verging on obscene?) mirror polished stainless steel bottle (before it gets scratched) will take pride of place in the photos - which will be added within days to the 'pedalable joys' album :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I'm sensing a coffee and cream vibe , classic !
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:
colin54 wrote:Deliquium, when may we view this potable joy framed by one of your pedalable joys ?

The Moulton TSR is currently undergoing an accessorised colour mini makeover (perhaps in another life I could return as a nail art technician?) Out with the black Brooks Imperial + out with the whacky multicoloured gear and brake cable outers. In with a honey Brooks Imperial + in with singular coloured BROWN cables. The even more expensive (verging on obscene?) mirror polished stainless steel bottle (before it gets scratched) will take pride of place in the photos - which will be added within days to the 'pedalable joys' album :D

Vanity,vanity all is vanity...... :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:
deliquium wrote:

Vanity,vanity all is vanity...... :wink:

It's the modern shallow way reohn2 :wink:

Mind you, I know I've always been too visual for my own good :?:
Current pedalable joys

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

:wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Some photo's when it's finished would be appreciated and possibly drooled over. :wink:
Randy_Butternubs

Post by Randy_Butternubs »

Sweep wrote:As I understand it, the various caps/tops fit across the size range - the 'sports cap' is available separately and only in one size.[/size]

Yeah their normal caps fit all their normal bottles (non wide-mouth). You don't have to buy the sports cap separately; the bottles are widely available (online at least) with the sports cap instead of the normal one.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Randy_Butternubs wrote:
Sweep wrote:As I understand it, the various caps/tops fit across the size range - the 'sports cap' is available separately and only in one size.[/size]

Yeah their normal caps fit all their normal bottles (non wide-mouth). You don't have to buy the sports cap separately; the bottles are widely available (online at least) with the sports cap instead of the normal one.

However, it doesn't seem possible (in the UK at least?) to purchase the polished 'Reflect' version with a cap other than the bamboo type :(

And going back to the 'sports' cap and its interference with my nose - can report now after 3 rides the 'problem' has become less annoying as my technique 'improves' :)

So far no rattles on the bikes with cages on the downtubes but there's an occasional one on the Moulton TSR (mounted on the seat tube) when riding over particular broken 'chip 'n' seal' tarmac. Strange that it's silent riding over larger imperfections. But a cunning plan is afoot :) (and no it doesn't and could never involve a plastic bottle cage :roll: )
Current pedalable joys