Stainless Steel water bottles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Post by deliquium »

Sneak preview. Down by local Llyn Gwynant this afternoon after typical day's chores/shopping/doctor/dentist 36 miler. Returned home to find 'Dez the post' had left the newly ordered hopeful 'M Wave' bottle cage and new Brooks B17 Imperial :D This cage/bottle interface didn't didn't rattle - but it was only 3 miles to the lake and back. All very laid back :wink:

(click image for larger version)
Attachments
0538.jpg
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

And just in case anyone's interested :roll: Removing the printed Klean Kanteen logo from the brushed stainless steel bottles is a few seconds worth of light rubbing with a green kitchen scourer and a dab of ASTONISH :wink:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

I used a green scourer on mine, it fits snugly in my Zefal Classic cage-
Attachments
Pie etc 004 (Medium).jpg
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

kellyon wrote:it looks nice. I use special plastic bottles that I ordered here https://allinpackaging.co.uk/containers/bottle/. My trainer advised me to drink at least 3 litres of water per day so I always take one bottle with me. Very convy

Interesting - they seem to be a trade supplier. I know they say they sell in small quantities but how small? Have you got two lifetimes stock?
Sweep
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

My bike isn't stylish enough to make best use of a swish shiny metal bottle, but I must admit they do look nice. Perhaps I'll try with one of my battered Siggs.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Have we figured out the general properties of a cage that prevents rattling with these steel bottles? I am wondering if my Elite Ciussi Inox cages would work with them.

Plastic bottles are cheap and convenient, but the taste is bothersome in combination with my suspicion that they can’t be very healthy.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Samuel D wrote:Have we figured out the general properties of a cage that prevents rattling with these steel bottles? I am wondering if my Elite Ciussi Inox cages would work with them.

Plastic bottles are cheap and convenient, but the taste is bothersome in combination with my suspicion that they can’t be very healthy.

On my bikes with down tube mounted aluminium Blackburn 'Competition' :roll: cages, no rattling with the 532mm KK bottles. On the seat tube mounted Moulton there was on very particular types of chip and seal surfaces, but not big bumps - so I have tired one of THESE and so far, albeit only after one 40 mile ride, all is quiet :D

Although there is an amount of metal on metal screeching removing and replacing the bottles - which may not be acceptable to some
Current pedalable joys

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

many thanks for the sig bottles del, very kind of you.

If they fall out of use they will be offered back on here for free plus postage as well.

Hesitate to suggest this, but what about copper?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copperlane-Pu ... 2118818409

though must admit to certain doubts - doesn't copper often go an interesting green when used externally on buildings? Which is of course designed-in for effect.
Sweep
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Sweep wrote:Hesitate to suggest this, but what about copper?

Density
copper 8.96 g/cm^3
Stainless 7.75 g/cm^3

Cost - copper is about 25% more than stainless.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Today I am convinced. 20ºC+ and a 40 mile ride. Warm water tastes far more 'refreshing' from a stainless steel bidon.

The 45º jaunty superfluous 'hanging' ring on the "Sport" cap is a bit of an aberration in my opinion. But manageable after old dog adapts to new tricks. That the cap works as well as it does whilst cycling is impressive. Mind you, I don't mind stopping for a drink or a breather cos never in a hurry on a bike :D

I only wish I didn't waste my money on the highly polished "Reflect" bottle.

The brushed versions easily lose their logos with a kitchen scourer and therefore prevent the totally unacceptable "Sport" cap not lining up with the why do we need 'branding' for logo ;) (reference to certain states of mind)

Not a rattle was heard :) Refreshment on the go was very satisfactory :)

Picture of the KK Clan below - as usaul click to enlarge
Attachments
KK-clan-0573.jpg
Current pedalable joys

elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Massive fan of Sigg bottles, having battered the living cr@p out of one at work, including regular eight foot drops to tarmac, it has remained absolutely stalwart. After maybe eight years of daily use I've recently had to invest £4 in a replacement cap. Amazing value and quality - tragic to be so excited about such a simple thing, but I genuinely love them (saddo I know)!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Winterflaw

Post by Winterflaw »

Resurrecting a moderately old thread.

I am rebuilding my racer after ten years and have recently been looking for water bottles and water bottle cages.

I have a titanium frame, and I used to have SIGG 750ml bottles, and I just like metal bottles.

It's been bloody difficult.

One piece of information which perhaps is useful and which I've picked up : if you have plastic water bottles, get a metal cage. If you have metal water bottles, get a plastic cage - or, to be more specific, glass-reinforced nylon. Profile Design do a range, and in fact they were the cages I had on my bike back in the day.

I ordered two of the 1000ml SIGG Traveler bottles, and returned them : 8cm diameter, won't fit in a cage. Heartbroken - they were gorgeous.

I ordered two of the 750ml SIGG aluminium bottles. I don't like them - I think they're ugly. I think also aluminium is basically the wrong metal for water bottles - you have to have a liner, and I've read some people writing the liner begins to flake after a year or so.

One thing SIGG have got right, IMO, is the cap. You can easily open and close it with your teeth. *No one else seems to have got this right*, not on metal bottles, which is maddening.

One thing SIGG have got wrong is their web-site, which is pretty awful in a whole bunch of respects. I'm annoyed with them because it's caused me some trouble and confusion.

I also ordered and returned two of the 800ml Klean Kanteen bottles.

I loved the bottles, but the top was a huge frickin' fail.

There's a carry hoop in the way and - much more importantly, since the hoop could sawn off - the rubber spigot in the top takes a great deal of force to open and close. Much too much to use with your teeth. I think it must be completely impratical for cycling, which leads me to ask the poster above, who has had a very postive experience with KK, what's going on with that for him?

(KK with the version 1.0 of the sports cap had a centered version of the spigot without the carry hoop. No longer made.)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

If anyone is interested I can post a link to some stainless steel bottles I bought from China on ebay.

They seem fine and for all I know are identical to certain branded ones.

Ideal for cycle touring/camping.

Why do you need a liner with a stainless steel bottle?

What sort of liner?

Agree about the Profile Design cage - bought two old ones from some nice soul on here.

Very clever design - basically strong plastic and a bit of bungy cord. Looks indestructible, last me to the grave, no problem to replace bungee if needed.

By the by del kindly sent me three small sig bottles for free - as my bottle plans panned out now don't need them all so a couple will be offered on here for free.
Sweep
Winterflaw

Post by Winterflaw »

Sweep wrote:If anyone is interested I can post a link to some stainless steel bottles I bought from China on ebay.

They seem fine and for all I know are identical to certain branded ones.

I am pretty sure that every commodity item, such as these bottles, is manufactured in the East.

The purported retailers or manufacturers are in fact importers only.

However, I think the problem with importing from the East is *quality*.

You and I can't know if we're dealing with cowboys, competency or the cream.

The importers in that sense I think fulfill a vital role.

However, I suspect they charge way too much for what they actually do.

Why do you need a liner with a stainless steel bottle?

I simply want metal.

That means steel, alumninium or titanium.

Titanium is very rare and I can't justify the cost.

Aluminium seems to mean SIGG, since no one else gets the cap right : but I think aluminimum is basically the wrong choice.

Steel wins. Zero health concerns, price is fine, weight is fine.

What sort of liner?

I don't know. It's a coating of some kind, to keep the aluminium away from the water. Looks resin-y. It's not a smooth finish, so it seems to be liquid-ish at least when applied and then runs just a little before it sets - presumbly is applied after the bottle is formed. In the old SIGG bottles allegedy contained traces of BPA, FWIW, and I also read from one source that SIGG were not upfront about this.

Agree about the Profile Design cage - bought two old ones from some nice soul on here.

Very clever design - basically strong plastic and a bit of bungy cord. Looks indestructible, last me to the grave, no problem to replace bungee if needed.

The bungee cord broke on mine fairly quickly, and that made no difference whatsoever :-) I never replaced it. The "Axis Kage" models I bought a week or two ago do not have a cord (and seem absolutely fine).

By the by del kindly sent me three small sig bottles for free - as my bottle plans panned out now don't need them all so a couple will be offered on here for free.

What I really want are 1000ml (metal) bottles which are 73mm wide, or 8cm water bottle cages so I can take an 8cm 1000ml bottle.

Can't find either.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Will get back to you about my steel bottles when I am with them. May be able to help.

Jog me in a couple of weeks if I forget.

Agree about importers fulfilling a real role with some stuff. Components, anything with a safety concern. I only buy simple stuff direct.
Sweep