Stainless Steel water bottles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
User avatar
deliquium
Posts: 2133
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 3:40pm
Location: Eryri

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby deliquium » 13 May 2018, 4:21pm

Winterflaw wrote:Resurrecting a moderately old thread.

I also ordered and returned two of the 800ml Klean Kanteen bottles.

I loved the bottles, but the top was a huge frickin' fail.

There's a carry hoop in the way and - much more importantly, since the hoop could sawn off - the rubber spigot in the top takes a great deal of force to open and close. Much too much to use with your teeth. I think it must be completely impratical for cycling, which leads me to ask the poster above, who has had a very postive experience with KK, what's going on with that for him?

(KK with the version 1.0 of the sports cap had a centered version of the spigot without the carry hoop. No longer made.)


I too almost rejected the KK bottles with the 'sport' cap for both your points, but happily adapted and made them work for me by -

a) drinking from them with the 'carry hoop' angled to the left or right - which means it doesn't get in the way of my large nose.

b) always leaving the too stiff for dodgy teeth, push pull spout in the open position. I only use water so am not bothered about any sugary drink potential leakage/splashage (of which I've not noticed any anyway)

The pleasure of NOT drinking from a plastic bottle on a warm day (or any day come to that) is worth a bit of shenanigans methinks.

By the way, use the KK bottles in standard Blackburn alu cages. No rattles and eventually the odd scratch, which takes seconds to remove with a green kitchen scourer (as does the KK logo etc)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"

Winterflaw
Posts: 14
Joined: 21 Apr 2018, 12:34pm

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby Winterflaw » 13 May 2018, 5:27pm

deliquium wrote:I too almost rejected the KK bottles with the 'sport' cap for both your points, but happily adapted and made them work for me by -

a) drinking from them with the 'carry hoop' angled to the left or right - which means it doesn't get in the way of my large nose.


Right - not really a problem, I thought I'd have the hoop sawn off by the LBS when they build my bike.

b) always leaving the too stiff for dodgy teeth, push pull spout in the open position. I only use water so am not bothered about any sugary drink potential leakage/splashage (of which I've not noticed any anyway)


Ah-ha!

This is exactly what I've been contemplating.

I was trying to think back to how I would drink from my SIGGs, ten years ago : bottle comes up from cage, top to mouth, pull cap open, *then drink*. If the cap was open all the time, there would not seem to be a problem, and the rubber spigot on the KKs looked as if it would keep water in whether it was open or closed.

By the way, use the KK bottles in standard Blackburn alu cages. No rattles and eventually the odd scratch, which takes seconds to remove with a green kitchen scourer (as does the KK logo etc)


The logo will have to go, since the spigot is off center - a previous poster, possibly you, said this was easy with a bit of "Astonish".

Interesting you're using aluminium cages. I bought two of the "Ibera" cages from Amazon, and they were very nice and I would have kept them if I had plastic bottles. What I found though was that being aluminium, they had very little "give". I could hardly flex them at all. Carbon must be even more so like this. I did not think this would go well with metal bottles, unless the fit was perfect or very nearly perfect.

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby mercalia » 13 May 2018, 7:08pm

My standard SS water bottle is DDHamocks thermaflask type -

Nothing worse than water that is hot/warm on a summers day, but a cool drink hits the spot?

https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_water_bottle

It is wide enough to go in a cycle water bottle carrier but rather tall

Winterflaw
Posts: 14
Joined: 21 Apr 2018, 12:34pm

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby Winterflaw » 13 May 2018, 8:46pm

mercalia wrote:My standard SS water bottle is DDHamocks thermaflask type -

Nothing worse than water that is hot/warm on a summers day, but a cool drink hits the spot?

https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_water_bottle

It is wide enough to go in a cycle water bottle carrier but rather tall


What are you doing for a top, so you can drink while riding?

In the picture, it looks like a screw top.

(However, 500ml is too small for me - all the insulated bottles surrender volume.)

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby mercalia » 13 May 2018, 8:58pm

Winterflaw wrote:
mercalia wrote:My standard SS water bottle is DDHamocks thermaflask type -

Nothing worse than water that is hot/warm on a summers day, but a cool drink hits the spot?

https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_water_bottle

It is wide enough to go in a cycle water bottle carrier but rather tall


What are you doing for a top, so you can drink while riding?

In the picture, it looks like a screw top.

(However, 500ml is too small for me - all the insulated bottles surrender volume.)


I just stop

npcarey
Posts: 22
Joined: 3 Mar 2015, 9:20pm

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby npcarey » 13 May 2018, 9:09pm

We've been using stainless steel bottles from Lidl for about the last two years. Screw-top lids, just stop when I need a drink, or more generally have a swig when I'm stopped. They are for sale in Lidl a couple of times a year.
Neil

Richard D
Posts: 269
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 6:16pm

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby Richard D » 5 Aug 2018, 10:42pm

Winterflaw wrote:
I also ordered and returned two of the 800ml Klean Kanteen bottles - the rubber spigot in the top takes a great deal of force to open and close. Much too much to use with your teeth. I think it must be completely impratical for cycling, which leads me to ask the poster above, who has had a very postive experience with KK, what's going on with that for him?


I've had no problem opening and closing the KK rubber spigot with my teeth.

Though I have yet to solve the "rattling cage" problem.

scottg
Posts: 890
Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 8:44pm
Location: Highland Heights Kentucky,, USA

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby scottg » 6 Aug 2018, 1:49am

Richard D wrote:
Winterflaw wrote:Though I have yet to solve the "rattling cage" problem.


The Blackburn Camber CF cage works with the 18oz KK bottles, the cage tab fit the shoulder of the bottle.
(I took a 18oz bottle to several bike stores, of course the $40 carbon cage fits the B***!! bottle. :)
The King Cage Iris works with the 18 or 27 oz bottles, $18, at least it cheaper than the Blackburn.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6903
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby Sweep » 6 Aug 2018, 7:16am

npcarey wrote:We've been using stainless steel bottles from Lidl for about the last two years. Screw-top lids, just stop when I need a drink, or more generally have a swig when I'm stopped. They are for sale in Lidl a couple of times a year.
Neil

Didn't realise they did steel ones. Are you sure they aren't aluminium?
Are they coloured?
Sweep

User avatar
deliquium
Posts: 2133
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 3:40pm
Location: Eryri

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby deliquium » 6 Aug 2018, 7:51am

Richard D wrote:I've had no problem opening and closing the KK rubber spigot with my teeth.

Though I have yet to solve the "rattling cage" problem.


The small 532mm KK bottles I have rarely rattle in pain old alu Blackburn cages. But the taller insulated KK bottle* did :twisted:

So purchased some 5mm internal ø black rubber tubing, cut 6 x 15mm lengths off and split them with one cut. Then prised them 'open' and slid over cage, positioned 2 at the bottom, 2 at the bottom sided, 1 at the top back and 1 at the top front - then glued the splits back up. Tidy, no rattles and no more marks :D

* the joy of going out cycling in summer heat with cold water for at least 3 hours that does not taste of hot plastic is incredible :mrgreen:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"

alexnharvey
Posts: 1524
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:39am

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby alexnharvey » 6 Dec 2018, 6:56am

Sweep wrote:If anyone is interested I can post a link to some stainless steel bottles I bought from China on ebay.

They seem fine and for all I know are identical to certain branded ones.


I wondered how you got on with the Chinese bottles Sweep?

I have found some on eBay myself however haven't seen any with sports cap.

Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby Canuk » 6 Dec 2018, 8:33am

Winterflaw wrote:
Sweep wrote:What I really want are 1000ml (metal) bottles which are 73mm wide, or 8cm water bottle cages so I can take an 8cm 1000ml bottle.

Can't find either.


https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2812450937

1000ml stainless wide mouth bottles. £6.74 free ship from Hong Kong. HK is usually twice as fast shipping from China 1-2wks.

I bought a stainless 750ml bottle from these guys last summer and very pleased with it. There's an optional sports cap you can buy for 2 quid.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6903
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby Sweep » 6 Dec 2018, 8:42am

alexnharvey wrote:
Sweep wrote:If anyone is interested I can post a link to some stainless steel bottles I bought from China on ebay.

They seem fine and for all I know are identical to certain branded ones.


I wondered how you got on with the Chinese bottles Sweep?

I have found some on eBay myself however haven't seen any with sports cap.

They are fine. The big one litre one is now standard on my expedition bike.

Have gone stainless steel in a biggish way camping touring. Also a nice steel coffee cup and larger cup for tea/beer/wine. Better than plastic. No taste transfer, easy to clean. Oh and a steel bowl :)

Mine doesn't have a sports cap. Doesn't bother me. On that bike am happy to pause awhile, unscew and drink. That bottle is also used for filling my espresso pot etc etc.
Sweep

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6903
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby Sweep » 6 Dec 2018, 8:47am

Canuk, I think you quoted the wrong person upthread.

I am sorted, no need for a sports cap. But thanks for the link.
Sweep

alexnharvey
Posts: 1524
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:39am

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby alexnharvey » 6 Dec 2018, 9:21am

I'm struggling to find the sports cap amongst the sellers other items.