Stainless Steel water bottles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pete75

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Postby pete75 » 8 Dec 2018, 1:38pm

pwa wrote:I've been using water bottles on bikes for fifty years without calling them "bidons", and I imagine the word "bidon" was confined to cycle club use, rather than being used among the wider cycling public. It is a trivial point and I'm happy to accept either term.

May have been arcing club thing - particularly as their were still a lot of ex-Leaguers in clubs back then and Europe had been their influence.

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 8 Dec 2018, 6:52pm

reohn2 wrote: until I pleaded with a passing motorist (can there be any worse humiliation for a cyclist? ) for liquid refreshment.
Did that myself one summer riding down the Columbia Gorge. A family of Hispanics loaded me up with water and energy drinks. I was well past feeling shame.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West

DebDeborah

Postby DebDeborah » 26 Nov 2019, 3:48am

mjr wrote:I like to use hydroflask metal bottles but I haven't been using them recently because I've been meaning to get around to putting some holes and food-safe straws through corks, which I finally did last weekend. I've been using those BPA-free-plastic-lined alloy bottles you can get cheaply in high street stores that sell some walking/outdoorsy gear.

It won't rattle as long as you pick your cages carefully - either plastic, or metal ones with plastic inserts/buttons that you're willing to bend slightly if needed to give a snug fit. It's probably best to use the same bottle, as bending the cage too often or too much will probably snap it eventually.

The main drawback is that inserting/removing them from cages scuffs them - even plastic cages do this - and I've never been able to stop that. Most colour ones seem to be some sort of plastic coating, so buy silver ones and even then, reconcile yourself to a distressed/weathered look! If you really can't stand it, the only way I can think of is to keep it in an army kettle bag hanging from your handlebars, instead of a cage.

Of course, they can get dented and really badly scuffed if you drop them, but so can plastic.

I also like Hydro Flask, its vacuum insulated water bottle has played an excellent role in keeping the beverage at high or low temperature for a long time, regardless of the external temperature. The wide mouth design provides more space for drinking and filling bottles.