Internal cable routing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
webber

Internal cable routing

Post by webber »

I'm looking at a new bike and it's got hydraulic disc brakes but I would like to use my 3t zefiro carbon handlebars which have internal cable routing so can you run hydraulic hoses though the brake holes?
Brucey

Re: Internal cable routing

Post by Brucey »

yes it can usually be done but it makes working on the hydraulics both necessary and troublesome; bleeding out the hoses when they have convoluted runs is trickier than normal.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Re: Internal cable routing

Post by Gattonero »

webber wrote:I'm looking at a new bike and it's got hydraulic disc brakes but I would like to use my 3t zefiro carbon handlebars which have internal cable routing so can you run hydraulic hoses though the brake holes?

It depends on which brakes you will install.

Right now, there aren't many choices so it ought to be Shimano or Sram hydraulics.
It's very likely you'll have to bleed the brand new brakes anyway, so the only problem I see is only related to the procedure itself.

Sram road hydraulic brakes do require to have the fluid pushed&pulled plus the system "pressurized", though fiddly this does overcome one limitation of the Shimano road hydraulics: they are in theory easier to bleed (screw the yellow funnel on the lever and keep it high, fill with fluid, open the bleed port at the caliper and that's it) with the aid of gravity, but this means that any part of the hose that does not drop straight down towards the caliper, this section will be prone to retain air bubbles. Ain't impossible though, it may only need to bleed the other way round (pushing the fluid from the caliper to the lever).

In a nutshell, surely you can, especially when starting from scratch. Just pay attention of the hose to the rear brake for points where it drops from an ideally uninterrupted slope down.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...