Deore 590 vs 610, Raidon v XCR

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thelawnet

Deore 590 vs 610, Raidon v XCR

Post by thelawnet »

I'm looking at two different MTBs, one is an old 26" with a Suntour Raidon LO 100mm fork & Deore 590 shifters, cranks + FD, with an XT 781 RD. The other is a 29er with Deore 610 and XCR LO-R 80mm fork.

They both cost the same amount except that the first bike is supposedly for women:

vs.

The 26"er is geared 42x32x24 and the 29er 40x30x22.

Other things are basically the same, as is the price.

I do have the option also of a 27.5"er, which is basically the same as the 29er, except it has a 140mm Epicon TR LO-R fork, and proper Deore hubs rather than the cheapest Shimano no-name options. It does however cost £125 more, and it's a 'trail' bike, whereas I probably want a strictly XC bike (for going across very broken & unsurfaced roads in the third world).

I'm tempted for the 29er for increased on-road speed but not sure if the 80mm travel is enough, we do sometimes have some very dodgy road sections.
Brucey

Re: Deore 590 vs 610, Raidon v XCR

Post by Brucey »

if you genuinely mean the third world you should choose a bike that you can buy tyres for easily when you need them. You won't be able to get all sizes of tyre as easily as one another. Otherwise you should buy whichever machine fits you best.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~