Messed up my gears

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Adamramsey91

Messed up my gears

Postby Adamramsey91 » 24 Jun 2017, 11:03am

Hey all,

Very new to road biking and had my first run out on a clipless system, needless to say I fell to the side within the first 5 minutes and consequently had a pinch flat on the rear which I replaced. In my naivety I pulled the rear wheel out with little regard to the chain/gearing and on my run out this morning the gears were slipping and clicking. In all honesty I have no idea what I've done or how to fix it but was wondering if any of you more knowledgeable people could point me in the right direction?

Brucey

Re: Messed up my gears

Postby Brucey » 24 Jun 2017, 11:38am

I would suggest a trip to the bike shop or at least have someone who knows what they are looking at have a look at it; there are very many possible reasons for bad behaviour. Failing that, post some photos of how your rear mech is aligned and how the chain runs through it; there may be an obvious fault of some kind.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

meic

Postby meic » 24 Jun 2017, 11:43am

Impossible to guess.

Worst case scenario is that when you fell, you bent the bit of the frame that your rear derailleur is fixed to (the derailleur gear hanger).

Best if you go to the bike and look to see if that is straight (from behind) and try hand pedaling the bike whilst it is on its back to see if you can spot where the noise is coming from, or if you can see something wrong.

Best case scenario is that the rear wheel is just not in quite the right place and loosening the wheel, pushing it into place and re-tightening, will make your problems disappear.

If neither of those is apparent it is time to learn how to tune your gears.
Yma o Hyd

markfh

Postby markfh » 24 Jun 2017, 4:20pm

Hi Adam & welcome to the forum.

Firstly was there any significant period between your falling over and the pinch flat on the rear? If there was how did the gears behave during that period? If they behaved OK and you only started having problems after the puncture and subsequent removal and refitting of the wheel then I would firstly check that the rear wheel is seated correctly in the rear drop outs. With the bike upright on the ground slacken off the mounting (quick release or otherwise) and try moving the top of the wheel from side to side. You should be able to tell when it is correctly in the drop outs and then tighten up the mountings. I would also check that the gear cable outers are correctly in the various fittings on the frame and rear derailleur. It is possible that you caught the gear cable outer whilst removing or replacing the wheel and the outer if caught on the edge of hole in one of the fittings rather than being properly inserted. If the gear changing problems started after the fall but before the removal of the wheel then it is likely, depending on which way the bike fell, that you have bent either the rear derailleur or the rear derailleur hanger in which case you should get someone who knows what they are doing to have a look at it.

spider2106

Postby spider2106 » 24 Jun 2017, 7:55pm

Regarding clipless pedals, a good way to practice 'unclipping' is to get on the bike and lean on a wall/fence and practice clipping and unclipping 21 times on one leg and then turn the bike through 180 degrees and 21 times for the other leg.

meic

Postby meic » 24 Jun 2017, 7:57pm

21 times!
Is that something spiritual, superstitious or scientific? :)
Yma o Hyd

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 25 Jun 2017, 8:14am

Sounds like chain isn't running through the mech properly.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

gaz

Postby gaz » 25 Jun 2017, 8:23am

meic wrote:21 times!

21+21=42, scientific solution to Life, the Universe and Everything :mrgreen: .
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

nigelnightmare

Postby nigelnightmare » 25 Jun 2017, 4:26pm

gaz wrote:
meic wrote:21 times!

21+21=42, scientific solution to Life, the Universe and Everything :mrgreen: .

Nutter :roll: I like it :lol: .

ChrisOntLancs

Postby ChrisOntLancs » 25 Jun 2017, 5:58pm

meic wrote:Worst case scenario is that when you fell, you bent the bit of the frame that your rear derailleur is fixed to (the derailleur gear hanger).

every time i get a new set of cleats, i force myself to remember "fall to the left" :lol: not always an option so it's usually paired with a trip to the bike shop to straighten the hanger back.

you can pick the hanger alignment tool up for about £30-50 but since i was covered it was better to let a 'grown up' have a look at it, as i like to say.

i'm going to put my money on this. you will probably be able to tell by looking but it only needs to be a ever so slightly out to mess with your ride.

another common sign i've found is that the performance will decrease as you move to the centre of the cassette.

good luck and welcome!