Tiagra v 105 v Ultegra Cassette - what's the difference?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mnichols

Tiagra v 105 v Ultegra Cassette - what's the difference?

Post by mnichols »

I need to replace my cassette and chain on my 10 speed Shimano Triple

What's the difference between the Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra models other than price and are there others that I should consider

I do about 8,000 to 10,000 miles per year

I tried a sram chain last time and it didn't seem to last as long as Shimano. Also, and this may sound daft but the power transfer didn't seem as good - are they more stretchy?
Brucey

Re: Tiagra v 105 v Ultegra Cassette - what's the difference?

Post by Brucey »

SRAM rollers are routinely a slacker fit and they also wear faster than some other makes too. I find that SRAM chains often run a bit more noisily than some other makes well before they are worn out. There are also significant differences in 10s and 11s chains between manufacturers which don't apply in the same way with (say) 9s chains. I can't say that I've completely got to the bottom of it yet but lets put it this way, it may not just be your imagination that the SRAM chain wasn't as good as the shimano one.

The main functional differences between 10s cassettes are price, finish, and weight. Since the cassette wears (as in 'wears badly') when the chain elongates, I'd sooner have a cheap cassette with a posh chain than a posh cassette with a cheap chain, if that is the choice.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote: I'd sooner have a cheap cassette with a posh chain than a posh cassette with a cheap chain, if that is the choice.
Spot on.

I've learnt recently about that. A cheap Shimano cassette and an expensive Campag chain are good bedfellows.
Mick F. Cornwall
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

I run KMC chain on Tiagra setup. No complaints, though it is 9 not 10 speed, not that I suspect that makes any difference at this price point.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Brucey wrote:The main functional differences between 10s cassettes are price, finish, and weight. Since the cassette wears (as in 'wears badly') when the chain elongates, I'd sooner have a cheap cassette with a posh chain than a posh cassette with a cheap chain, if that is the choice.

cheers

So would you go for an ultegra chain?

I've come to the conclusion that cheap cables are a false economy. I bought and fitted my own last time after the LBS put some very expensive ones on the time before, but the ones they fitted (not sure what but they were but they were black and slick) were much better and worth the money
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

some good 10s chains that I know of (there are probably others too)

- campag
- shimano ultegra or dura-ace
- kmc various models that are XX or XXX rated

cheers
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

On a similar note, I was touring in Spain a couple of weeks ago, and was having problems with the bike staying in-gear despite my best tinkering and a visit to a bike shop. So, I went to another bike shop and they felt that the derailleur had had a long and full life but it might be time for it to go the great bike shop in the sky

In which case, is there much difference between the 105 (triple) and Ultegra derailleur? I probably would want to have a 30 tooth cassette
willcee

Post by willcee »

re Last.. I would go for the 105 medium rear meck, I have the long cage one and am using a 11/32 cassette.. because I'm using 34/52 at the front... as ref the slack in your meck yes they have a life shortened ime by the downgrade in quality of recent years, if the main swing pivot at the allen bolt which fastens the derailleur to your frame has slop it will affect changes esp on the largest sprockets where the meck is under greatest spring load and very extended inwards.. will
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

willcee wrote:re Last.. I would go for the 105 medium rear meck, I have the long cage one and am using a 11/32 cassette.. because I'm using 34/52 at the front... as ref the slack in your meck yes they have a life shortened ime by the downgrade in quality of recent years, if the main swing pivot at the allen bolt which fastens the derailleur to your frame has slop it will affect changes esp on the largest sprockets where the meck is under greatest spring load and very extended inwards.. will

Thanks that's useful to know

Is there any degradation in performance from Ultegra to 105?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Brucey wrote:SRAM rollers are routinely a slacker fit and they also wear faster than some other makes too. I find that SRAM chains often run a bit more noisily than some other makes well before they are worn out. There are also significant differences in 10s and 11s chains between manufacturers which don't apply in the same way with (say) 9s chains. I can't say that I've completely got to the bottom of it yet but lets put it this way, it may not just be your imagination that the SRAM chain wasn't as good as the shimano one.

The main functional differences between 10s cassettes are price, finish, and weight. Since the cassette wears (as in 'wears badly') when the chain elongates, I'd sooner have a cheap cassette with a posh chain than a posh cassette with a cheap chain, if that is the choice.

cheers

Given your previous comment on weight difference of 80g for brake calipers I'm suprised you are suggesting the heavier component is advisable, isn't that more than a bit hypocritical?

I've run a PC1030 chain on my commuter with a Tiagra cassette (because I don't worry about a few grams on a non compeition bike unlike some posters) used and abused with a couple of removals for cleaning I got about 5000 miles before replacing it though could have gone on. It was also very quiet with my set up and superb shifting with a Tiagra 9 speed long cage. Clearly some people have differing experiences with similar bits of kit.

currently using a 6700 shimano chain because it cost me £7 as it'd been delinked too short for the original user and I got it new for cheaps because of that, IME it's no better than the SRAM but no worse either, longevity wise I haven't noticed much if any differential over the years.
I've bought three more SRAM 10 speed chains in any case.
for commuter/touring duties Tiagra, even lower is fine.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Brucey wrote:SRAM rollers are routinely a slacker fit and they also wear faster than some other makes too. I find that SRAM chains often run a bit more noisily than some other makes well before they are worn out. There are also significant differences in 10s and 11s chains between manufacturers which don't apply in the same way with (say) 9s chains. I can't say that I've completely got to the bottom of it yet but lets put it this way, it may not just be your imagination that the SRAM chain wasn't as good as the shimano one.

cheers

Given your previous comment on weight difference of 80g for brake calipers I'm suprised you are suggesting the heavier component is advisable, isn't that more than a bit hypocritical?

I've run a PC1030 chain on my commuter with a Tiagra cassette (because I don't worry about a few grams on a non compeition bike unlike some posters) used and abused with a couple of removals for cleaning I got about 5000 miles before replacing it though could have gone on. It was also very quiet with my set up and superb shifting with a Tiagra 9 speed long cage. Clearly some people have differing experiences with similar bits of kit.

currently using a 6700 shimano chain because it cost me £7 as it'd been delinked too short for the original user and I got it new for cheaps because of that, IME it's no better than the SRAM but no worse either, longevity wise I haven't noticed much if any differential over the years.
I've bought three more SRAM 10 speed chains in any case.
for commuter/touring duties Tiagra, even lower is fine.

Surely that is to be expected, though - different useage, maintenance regimes, lubes etc?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Brucey wrote:.....The main functional differences between 10s cassettes are price, finish, and weight. Since the cassette wears (as in 'wears badly') when the chain elongates, I'd sooner have a cheap cassette with a posh chain than a posh cassette with a cheap chain, if that is the choice.

cheers

isn't taking remarks from another discussion entirely, completely out of context, and ignoring what I've said here to boot, more than a bit daft? :roll:

duh....