Cleat wedges

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cavasta

Cleat wedges

Post by cavasta »

On my road bike shoes, which are fitted with SPD-SL road cleats, I have fitted a couple of the Shimano SM-SH20 cleat spacers (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod131323) to my right shoe. These have made a huge difference to my foot and leg comfort and have improved my pedalling efficiency. I would like to fit something similar to my standard MTB SPD shoes, which I use on my touring/commuting bike. However, I've been unable to find anything like the road spacers for SPDs. I've tried adding an extra insole to the shoe but gave it up because it reduced the amout of foot space in the shoe and made things too uncomfortable.

Is there an equivalent of the SM-SH20s for MTB SPD cleats?

Thanks

Ed
meic

Re: Cleat wedges

Post by meic »

If you fit such a thing, then the cleat that is attached to it will be quite prominent and the shoes will no longer work like MTB style shoes off the bike you will be walking on the cleat , not the sole, with that foot.

If you just want to use the pedals you could use adapter plates on your road shoes, with the spacers you link to, though double check that the adapter plates convert that way around, I got it wrong last time. :oops:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-sh-sm85 ... ter-plate/

I dont think this conversion is a particularly good thing to do, just pointing it out as a possibility.
Yma o Hyd
cavasta

Post by cavasta »

Thanks Meic, I'll look into those.
RickH

Post by RickH »

cavasta wrote:Is there an equivalent of the SM-SH20s for MTB SPD cleats?

2 washers (1 on each bolt)?

Although they may not grip well enough unless you can find ones with some serration (or roughen them) to "bite" on the sole of the shoe.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
cavasta

Post by cavasta »

RickH wrote:
cavasta wrote:Is there an equivalent of the SM-SH20s for MTB SPD cleats?

2 washers (1 on each bolt)?

Although they may not grip well enough unless you can find ones with some serration (or roughen them) to "bite" on the sole of the shoe.

Thanks RickH. I'd considered that but couldn't find anything serrated to provide the necessary grip.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

My fitter put a spacer under my SPD cleat. The cleat would not stay in place and it was a pain to walk in them because the cleat touched the ground instead of the tread. They didn't clip in and release easily either. I quickly took them out. If you want to do this, look for another pedal system.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels Pro