Campagnolo lower jockey wheel sealed bearing puzzle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Russell160

Campagnolo lower jockey wheel sealed bearing puzzle

Post by Russell160 »

Hello fellow cyclists,
Recently purchased a nice Campagnolo Mirage rear mech used for a steel frame build in the traditional style.

Campagnolo is new to me having been more of a Nissan man than an Alfa Romeo afficianado in the past. As my mid life crisis turns into a full time career I have decided to indulge myself.

The lower jockey wheel appears very stiff and in need of tlc. I note the upper jockey wheel is a normal bushing but the bottom one appears to be a 'sealed bearing' type arrangement.
The codes are:
2302012 Upper
2302013 Lower

..thus confirming a difference.
(8 spd I think).

Before realising the difference I confess I tried 'driving' out the inner ring of the bearing, believing it to be a bushing that had merely got clagged up with rust or whatever. I think I can safely say no lasting damage has been done. :oops: The wheel spins ok when not tightened but is very stiff when tightened up.

Can I do anything to restore or replace this sealed bearing? I have tried lubing it and it is now soaking in some oil as we speak. I am sceptical about the prospects as presumably 'sealed' means 'sealed'.

Obviously I am aware I can buy replacement parts but the price is crazy, more than the mech itself cost.

I have considered 'bodging' it with a shimano wheel or something but this is a bit of a vanity project to be honest and so I am trying to do it to an OCD/perfectionist standard. More time than money or sense. It will be a high days and holidays bike. Any help and guidance gratefully received.
Brucey

Re: Campagnolo lower jockey wheel sealed bearing puzzle

Post by Brucey »

aftermarket pulleys are cheap and readily available, so that is one solution.

However you might be able to

- replace the entire bearing (it may drive out of the pulley) or
- pry the seals out of the bearing and get better access to it for cleaning/fettling

to pry the seals out, a pointed blade can be used at the outer periphery in most cases.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Campag Mirage was 9sp (and 10sp compatible). May have been 8sp earlier, but I don't know.
They had bushed bearings top and bottom. RD-RE600

Maybe someone's fitted a non-standard jockey.
Mick F. Cornwall
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Mick F wrote:Maybe someone's fitted a non-standard jockey.

I’d guess the same. Campagnolo is even more reluctant than Shimano to use ball bearings in the pulleys (not using them on both pulleys even in their most expensive derailleurs). I’d be surprised if a Mirage derailleur had ball bearings anywhere.

Maybe we could have a photo of the derailleur?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

all 'modern' campagnolo pulleys have 'campagnolo' written upon them.

They have used ball-bearings in their pulleys; in recent times in their toppermost models, also, BITD in many of them, e.g. the old steel Gran Sport model had adjustable ball bearings in the pulleys.

BTW 2302013 etc are campag part numbers; 9s/10s record/chorus pulleys

are 2302020 and 2302021 and so forth....

edit; here
http://www.bikeman.com/DP9801.html
RD-RE500 = 2302012 + 2302013 = 8s Record pulley set

cheers
Russell160

Post by Russell160 »

Brucey - that's exactly what I've got. So it does appear those Record pulleys have been put into a Mirage mech. I'm setting it up with down tube shifters on a screw-on freewheel so haven't been unduly worried about the exact speed range.

Have just had a poke about at it and getting nowhere ...it does seem completely tightened, no doubt not assisted by my careless braying at it

I might run it by my LBS and if no joy just get replacements.

While I have the ear of you campag experts can I also ask: what is the 'correct' screw on freewheel brand for my campag screw on hub: sorry do't know the model. Harry Ingham's in Todmorden my LBS says campag didn't do a freewheel but mentioned it may be Regina originally? Also, any guidance on the 'best' number of gears - I am hoping for 7 if possible, but I hear also there can be a risk of the axle breaking?? I'm not going to be doing any heavy work on it so it's a risk I'm willing to take...

Also, what is the considered opinion on here re English freewheels on Italian threads?

Any tips on suppliers? Having had this headache with a used mech I might just bite the bullet and get something new/old stock for a freewheel? Or does anyone have anything for sale in their bottom drawer in good order....

Questions, questions....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Campag did do a freewheel back in the 6s/7s days but by the time of Mirage et al were the thing you would (I think) have had a campag cassette hub or you would choose to use your favoured brand of freewheel on a screw-on hub. Really it could have been anything... before you make your mind up you need to think about

- how wide the rear hub is (and if you want to respace it to better fit your frame or w.h.y.
- if your gears are going to be indexed (which?) or friction
- what ratios you want
- if the freewheel is to be period correct or not
- if you are worried about spare parts for the freewheel
- the threading on the hub (BTW it is almost certain that even if you have an Italian threaded freewheel thread, a BSC threaded freewheel will already have been fitted at some stage, so stick with that, why not).

BITD good freewheels were made by regina, maillard, sun tour, shimano. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

For what it's worth, I've looked at my spare pullies.

C9-C10 top is 2302020
C9-C10 lower is 2302021 directional.
Mick F. Cornwall