SPD + flats, advice please.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tompsk

SPD + flats, advice please.

Post by Tompsk »

I'm looking to get some double sided pedals (MTB SPD + flat) for commuting, short trips and to use when I need to wear normal shoes at the destination. I've tried 2 of the shimano offerings (M324 and A530) but both have their problems (M324 heavy, A530 slippery). Anyone have alternatives that are not too expensive? I've found these (http://www.bicimarket.com/Componentes-P ... 12914.html) but I'm not sure how durable they are or if available to the UK?

I'm not interested in the ones with pins as these can cause serious damage to shins if you are not wearing shin guards - a work colleague had cuts to the bone and scars after a tumble.
Last edited by Tompsk on 5 Jul 2017, 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleruk

Re: SPD + flats, advice please.

Post by cycleruk »

Have you looked at the Shimano A530 SPD ?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-sp ... ng-pedals/
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

Thank you cycleruk but my bad. I meant to put A530 as the ones I have, that I find are slippery and have poor bearings. Have changed original post but thank you again for your post.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Those bicimarket ones you have highlighted look identical to Wellgo ones I've seen on Ebay.
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

You could look at the Click'r (silly name) PD T420. My wife's just bought a second pair so she'll have the same on the tandem and cross bike. She often rides the cross bike in normal shoes so I presume they work well enough as flats.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

It's the PD-T421 now

I use the pd-t780, which was good, but the replacement version (pd-t8000) has pins. The pins are replaceable, so I suppose you could just take them out.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Tompsk wrote:.... my bad. I meant to put A530 as the ones I have, that I find are slippery and have poor bearings....

There are grippier ones than that for sure. If you know you need lots of grip I don't understand why you didn't buy a pedal that had pins in, or a more toothy cage or something?

If you think the bearings are 'poor' maybe you don't understand how to adjust them? FWIW the bearings in those pedals are some of the best pedal bearings you can find anywhere. Most shimano SPD pedals have those same bearings in them and (given the smallest amount of TLC) they usually outlast the rest of the pedal.

A suggestion; a little work with a drill and a suitable tap would allow you to add pins to the PD-A530 pedals.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Randy_Butternubs

Post by Randy_Butternubs »

If you find pedals with pins too damaging but pedals without too slippery then one alternative would be to take non-pinned pedals and file the cage to give sharp square edges (the edges are usually rounded over). I imagine that would improve grip a lot without being able to dig into your shins (much).

Another alternative would be to get a pinned pedal and replace the sharp pins with flat topped ones as in this pedal:
I've used both and they don't draw blood when they rake your shins, unlike the sharp type, but they grip much better than a pinless pedal.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Will watch this thread with interest. Yes i find the 530 slippery, but only in the wet.

Remarkable that the original question has to be asked.

Has shimano given up product development on its pedals while it concentrates on ever more gears and other fripperies? The 530 and 324 are damn fine pedals and only need simple tweaks to be near perfect. Do please sort yourselves shimano.
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

another option is to use a double sided SPD and then to add a converter.

Converters range from plastic ones (BBB, shimano) to metal ones (there is an instructable if you need to be shown how to make your own), to ones that are designed to accept a toeclip and strap like these;

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/36603/Exustar-E-SL02-Clipless-Pedal-Converter

clips and straps will keep your feet secure but once clips and straps are added to a converter, you will probably have to remove the converter when using the SPD side of the pedal, whereas some of the other ones can be left in place.

re shin damage; if you are really worried about that then SPD bindings themselves represent something of a hazard.

If you do decide to add pins to PD-A530, they can be made as low and rounded as you like.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

I use the Wellgo pedals on my trikes. Lasted at least eight years. No problem with falling off due to unclipping on a trike but I can't use them as easily on two wheels.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

All you need is some skateboard griptape on your 530s and you'll be all set!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Also have to agree that Shimano pedal bearings are legendary, if you need one of the plastic collar tool thingies for adjusting them then I'm sure I've got a spare I can send you...

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

Decathlon also do, or at least did - I bought them a few years ago - a M324 style pedal. I've a pair and they're ok. But if M3424s are heavy these will be too. But I'm wondering how heavy they really are - is there really a noticeable difference?