Do any cheap wireless bike computers not say 99.99 MPH as the max speed?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Manc33

Do any cheap wireless bike computers not say 99.99 MPH as the max speed?

Postby Manc33 » 5 Jul 2017, 8:12pm

I have had 3 or 4 cheap wireless bike computers now from China and while they are good for the money and all work properly, they all register either 99.99 MPH as the top speed, or a figure that seems to be a multiple of 4x my max.

Is there a known one that doesn't do this (thats still wireless and still cheap)? :lol:

These China ones were all under a tenner. The one I am on now is quite a nice one, but it still has the max speed problem. One problem with it is, there's no "auto on" so if you take a break for more than 5 minutes then set off again forgetting to press a button on it, it won't even register anything. Some have rattling motion sensors inside but this one doesn't and you have to remember to press it which is a PITA.

I don't even care what my max is its just that if one doesn't exist I might begrudgingly go back to a wired one.
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

willcee

Re: Do any cheap wireless bike computers not say 99.99 MPH as the max speed?

Postby willcee » 5 Jul 2017, 8:24pm

Sigma, wired..although most do read the figure you don't want, why on earth does that affect you, that said early sigmas had an issue passing under super high tension electric over ground cabling ..i have picture somewhere of one of mine stuck at 136mph!! the dealer , a mate, sent it back to Germany!! i was doing 40 max!!! will

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 5 Jul 2017, 8:31pm

I got some of the LIdl wireless ones (IIRC £6.95). I've only tried 2 so far, and each 'froze' after about 7 miles. In the instructions I'd read about how to reset in troubleshooting, and having removed/replaced the battery no joy. It also said (having removed the battery), shorting the computer contacts was recommended - I did this and both of them have been working great since. A strange scenario that they both froze after approx the same mileage.
Despite the small glitch, they are a great computer. I also a couple of years ago bought a small one off a popular auction site which worked fine for 6 months and then decided to register mileage whilst standing still - no battery replacements etc were successful. ETA it doesn't have auto restart on the Lidl ones I have.

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 5 Jul 2017, 8:57pm

Yeah if its wireless, there's less chance it will have auto restart. Every one I have had thats wired, has always had that feature.

One of the cheapest wireless ones (Sunding 563) is pretty clever, it has a motion sensor (which makes it sound like the unit is broke when it isn't). This same one also lights up if it is too dark to read. No pressing the light on, no daft thing where it only lights up after 6 PM (like another one I have does), it has a light sensor built in and knows if you can read it or not! I have to laugh at this since it probably cost around £8.00 delivered from China brand new.

The downside to that Sunding one is, it got a fault where if I ride 10 miles it will say it was 6 miles. If I do 20 miles it will say I did 12 miles etc. It did it out of the blue one day after registering the right distance for months. This one is also horrendously cheap to touch and has very nasty hard plastic buttons that are as loud as a silver-back gorilla up-gearing under load. The buttons at least for now, still work. :)

That one registering only 3 miles out of every 5 is the reason I am back on the one without any auto-on feature. This is why people spend five times more on Garmin's with half the amount of features.

China sells ones like Cateye, but its usually slightly more costly than it is to just get that same one here.
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 5 Jul 2017, 9:12pm

Manc33 wrote:The downside to that Sunding one is, it got a fault where if I ride 10 miles it will say it was 6 miles. If I do 20 miles it will say I did 12 miles etc. It did it out of the blue one day after registering the right distance for months. This one is also horrendously cheap to touch and has very nasty hard plastic buttons that are as loud as a silver-back gorilla up-gearing under load. The buttons at least for now, still work. :) .

Check your wheel size setting.
At a guess it's reset to the minimum size.

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 5 Jul 2017, 9:18pm

Tigerbiten wrote:
Manc33 wrote:The downside to that Sunding one is, it got a fault where if I ride 10 miles it will say it was 6 miles. If I do 20 miles it will say I did 12 miles etc. It did it out of the blue one day after registering the right distance for months. This one is also horrendously cheap to touch and has very nasty hard plastic buttons that are as loud as a silver-back gorilla up-gearing under load. The buttons at least for now, still work. :) .

Check your wheel size setting.
At a guess it's reset to the minimum size.

I thought this but no because it went bad after being in use for months registering the right distance. Too late now anyway the battery is out, can't ever know.

5 miles to 3 miles is a 40% reduction so if the wheel mm setting was reduced by that it would be on 1275 mm. :|

robgul

Postby robgul » 6 Jul 2017, 5:58am

Not the answer - but a fix-it-once-and-for-all solution - the basic Garmin Edge 200 (or whatever the current model) at less than £50 is, obviously, totally wireless as it uses satellites to display speed.

Mine works perfectly for speed (and other features) - fastest displayed (and recorded in the memory) was 180mph when I was on Eurostar zooming back from Paris with it on the table in front of my seat!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 6 Jul 2017, 7:14am

And the price of 3 or 4 cheap ones is one decent one?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 6 Jul 2017, 8:47am

Manc33 wrote:Yeah if its wireless, there's less chance it will have auto restart. Every one I have had thats wired, has always had that feature.

One of the cheapest wireless ones (Sunding 563) is pretty clever, it has a motion sensor (which makes it sound like the unit is broke when it isn't). This same one also lights up if it is too dark to read. No pressing the light on, no daft thing where it only lights up after 6 PM (like another one I have does), it has a light sensor built in and knows if you can read it or not! I have to laugh at this since it probably cost around £8.00 delivered from China brand new.

The downside to that Sunding one is, it got a fault where if I ride 10 miles it will say it was 6 miles. If I do 20 miles it will say I did 12 miles etc. It did it out of the blue one day after registering the right distance for months. This one is also horrendously cheap to touch and has very nasty hard plastic buttons that are as loud as a silver-back gorilla up-gearing under load. The buttons at least for now, still work. :)

That one registering only 3 miles out of every 5 is the reason I am back on the one without any auto-on feature. This is why people spend five times more on Garmin's with half the amount of features.

China sells ones like Cateye, but its usually slightly more costly than it is to just get that same one here.

Sounds like it's giving you some kilometre / mile mix up!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

meic

Postby meic » 6 Jul 2017, 8:47am

None of my GPS's ever give a reliable instantaneous speed reading under even medium tree cover.
Always have to look at the bike speedo at those times (if you actually cared about your speed).
Yma o Hyd

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 8 Aug 2017, 1:16pm

All these Chinese ones have 20+ functions and cost under a tenner but they are cheap and nasty.

The wired Cateye Velo 7 is £11.49 and while it does literally nothing it will probably carry on working. All I really want is average speed and the Velo 5 doesn't even have that so its got to be the 7 at least.

Its just that for £11.49 from China you can get a wireless one with 24 functions, whether it carries on working is another thing entirely. They always work when you first start using them. Yes some functions are pointless (like the maintenance check) but some aren't like the back light and the temperature. I doubt the Velo 7 even has a light on it and I know for certain it doesn't have temperature on it.

My advice is don't bother with Chinese ones, they don't really do an upmarket one and when they do have those, it is a Cateye thats more expensive than it is here. Just get a genuine Cateye Velo in the UK that OK is expensive in comparison - but it will probably keep working for years. :roll:
Last edited by Manc33 on 8 Aug 2017, 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Aug 2017, 1:25pm

robgul wrote:Not the answer - but a fix-it-once-and-for-all solution - the basic Garmin Edge 200 (or whatever the current model) at less than £50 is, obviously, totally wireless as it uses satellites to display speed.
I have an Edge20 and as a basic bike computer, it's brilliant.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-20- ... -computer/
Small, light, self-contained, foolproof, and wireless of course.
Mick F. Cornwall

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 8 Aug 2017, 1:45pm

Mick F wrote:
robgul wrote:Not the answer - but a fix-it-once-and-for-all solution - the basic Garmin Edge 200 (or whatever the current model) at less than £50 is, obviously, totally wireless as it uses satellites to display speed.
I have an Edge20 and as a basic bike computer, it's brilliant.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-20- ... -computer/
Small, light, self-contained, foolproof, and wireless of course.

£84 :shock:

China has to have a knockoff of it. :twisted:

I see these Garmin ones as even more snobbish than people that have to have Dura Ace and XTR stuff :P

There's a lack of consistency to the logic here lol. A £84 Garmin has GPS but aside from that, what does it do that a £12 Cateye doesn't? You could argue what do XTR shifters do that Altus ones don't but they do shift better. You can't "Get your average speed better" lol its just an electronic device.

I found a few GPS ones cheaper but still not cheap:

Mio Cyclo 100 — £34.95
Bryton Rider 100E — £58.56

I never care about that, I just want it to at least have average speed on it. The most basic computers don't have it.

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 8 Aug 2017, 2:20pm

Manc33 wrote:I have had 3 or 4 cheap wireless bike computers now from China and while they are good for the money and all work properly, they all register either 99.99 MPH as the top speed, or a figure that seems to be a multiple of 4x my max.

Thinking of breaking a record?? http://wonderfulengineering.com/man-builds-worlds-fastest-pedal-powered-bicycle-that-can-speed-up-to-110-mph/
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 8 Aug 2017, 4:31pm

Manc33 wrote:I have had 3 or 4 cheap wireless bike computers now from China and while they are good for the money and all work properly, they all register either 99.99 MPH as the top speed, or a figure that seems to be a multiple of 4x my max.

Is there a known one that doesn't do this (thats still wireless and still cheap)? :lol:

These China ones were all under a tenner. The one I am on now is quite a nice one, but it still has the max speed problem. One problem with it is, there's no "auto on" so if you take a break for more than 5 minutes then set off again forgetting to press a button on it, it won't even register anything. Some have rattling motion sensors inside but this one doesn't and you have to remember to press it which is a PITA.

I don't even care what my max is its just that if one doesn't exist I might begrudgingly go back to a wired one.

are you on the correct forum? maybe you should be on a m/c one? :wink:

or do you have a supped up pedelec :shock: