Do any cheap wireless bike computers not say 99.99 MPH as the max speed?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brian73

Re: Do any cheap wireless bike computers not say 99.99 MPH as the max speed?

Postby Brian73 » 8 Aug 2017, 5:23pm

Some old motorcycles have no speedometer

I have seen people put bike computers on them :roll:

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 8 Aug 2017, 6:49pm

I had the old CatEye Velo7 wireless for about 10 years before selling with the bike.

I then had a new style Velo7 on my current bike for 5 years and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately someone nicked the computer bit at the end of my last trip.

I searched on line and found Halfords doing them for about £20. If you are a CyclingUK member you get 10% discount.

I don't think the 7 is made anymore, replaced by the 9, but at that price it is reasonable investment compared to your numerous cheapo ones.

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 13 Aug 2017, 1:25pm

Can I ask (very politely) that when people quote prices they include a link to the site offering this attractive price?

I've seen two so far (Garmin and Mio) where my searches turn up higher prices.

Oh, and I have the Lidl ones which generally work well (except one has just died to to apparent water ingress). They also have far too many functions.
Other major problem was that I tried to mount a mobile phone in a waterproof case on the handlebars so I could use the GPS on that and the wireless computer seemed to fight with the electronics in the phone. This made me consider going back to wired. Then I lost one of the screws for the phone carrier. Ah, well.

aljohn

Postby aljohn » 18 Aug 2017, 3:58pm

I bought a wireless , waterproof cycle computer from China a couple of months ago for £6.29 post free. It has worked flawlessly (cross fingers). Speed, top, average. time, time taken. It doesn't want to know my age, weight, won't tell me how many calories I've used (as if I care). Via Ebay, from new-channel.I haven't been over 100mph - yet....god knows why that makes any difference to the wantability of a bike computer. Get a grip, lifes too short

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 21 Aug 2017, 10:36pm

Sorry I did leave out the link, but it wasn't to anywhere selling the GPS units, those prices were quoted on a page reviewing the devices so yes it might be outdated and too cheap.

Brian73 wrote:Some old motorcycles have no speedometer

I have seen people put bike computers on them :roll:

Nothing wrong with this IMO heh. As long as the wire is kept away from anything hot that might melt the plastic shielding. It is probably safer than on a bicycle because at a slow speed the wire can lock the front wheel but not on a motorbike. It would have to be an absolutely pants motorbike with a lawnmower engine or something to be light enough. :P
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 21 Aug 2017, 10:47pm

aljohn wrote:I bought a wireless , waterproof cycle computer from China a couple of months ago for £6.29 post free. It has worked flawlessly (cross fingers). Speed, top, average. time, time taken. It doesn't want to know my age, weight, won't tell me how many calories I've used (as if I care). Via Ebay, from new-channel.I haven't been over 100mph - yet....god knows why that makes any difference to the wantability of a bike computer. Get a grip, lifes too short

I had a Sunding (chinese but bought from uk seller) which worked faultless for 6 months, then went into 'always moving' mode and defied any attempts to fix it, eg new batteries and shorting contacts (without battery in place), but to no avail!

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 30 Aug 2017, 7:41pm

I have had at least three Chinese ones and all have flaws.

Got a Cateye Velo 7 (wired) now so you probably won't see me complaining about 99 MPH again. :P

I'll try to remember those Chinese ones and why they were carp...

BoGeer YT-833 - Wired, probably the best one of the China ones I have tried, but it stopped registering after I swapped a few things around and I think I broke the wire myself to be honest. This one has a good back light (thats a pain to switch on, because it needs spider fingers to do it while riding). This has tons of features and cost about £8. When I say "tons" I mean it has 20+ features including stopwatch, maintenance warning, back light, calories, temperature... it says it has 24 functions but I couldn't name them all lol. They class it automatically registering when you start moving as a feature, sigh.

SunDing SD-563 (Wireless) - This is the cheapest and nastiest feeling one with rock hard buttons that are loud when pressed. This has pretty much all the features the above one does. Its wireless though so it says your max speed is 99.99 MPH more often than it doesn't say it. This one started suddenly saying 5 miles is 3 miles, 10 miles is 6 miles and so on. Gave up on it in the end.

YS - This doesn't have a model number, but its the nicest Chinese one I got. It was still only the same price the others are, around £6-£10 with it being nearer to £6 than £10. This has all the usual features the others have, but it stopped registering completely one day.

If I add up the cost of the above three it is slightly more than a Cateye Velo 7 wired costs (that has a third of the features).

To be fair the Bogeer YT-833 didn't break on its own, I broke it myself so, perhaps thats the one to get if you're going to cheap out. :P
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.