Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MartinC
Posts: 1837
Joined: 10 May 2007, 6:31pm
Location: Bredon

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby MartinC » 18 Sep 2017, 11:50am

Yes, real men don't adjust their gears anyway and even if they did they'd use a 7lb lump hammer.

keyboardmonkey
Posts: 659
Joined: 1 Dec 2009, 5:05pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby keyboardmonkey » 26 Aug 2019, 9:24am

keyboardmonkey wrote:When my Vessel screwdriver finally arrived from Japan it didn't seem so different - apart from the 'JAWSFIT' tip - from my Stanley Phillips No. 2.

However, when I dropped the tip of the Stanley screwdriver in to a limit screw on an unused Shimano 105 front derailleur it pirouetted uselessly about on the head as I tried to turn it without applying any downward force.

I then put the Vessel in to the head of the screw with the only downward force being the weight of the screwdriver. When I turned the driver the limit screw moved effortlessly with no extra downward pressure. Remarkable.


FE3EA381-8A5C-449C-8811-B199C5E21068.jpeg
Vessel Megadora +2 100 screwdriver

Currently £5.88 online - with free delivery.

Go on. You know you want to...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vessel-Megador ... me&sr=8-11

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47510
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby Mick F » 26 Aug 2019, 9:30am

keyboardmonkey wrote:Go on. You know you want to...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vessel-Megador ... me&sr=8-11
There's a bit of me that will never say no to a new tool.

However, in all my years of adjusting front and rear mechs both Shimano and Campag, a flat blade screwdriver works. The screw heads are designed for it.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 1677
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby Spinners » 26 Aug 2019, 9:34am

keyboardmonkey wrote:
keyboardmonkey wrote:When my Vessel screwdriver finally arrived from Japan it didn't seem so different - apart from the 'JAWSFIT' tip - from my Stanley Phillips No. 2.

However, when I dropped the tip of the Stanley screwdriver in to a limit screw on an unused Shimano 105 front derailleur it pirouetted uselessly about on the head as I tried to turn it without applying any downward force.

I then put the Vessel in to the head of the screw with the only downward force being the weight of the screwdriver. When I turned the driver the limit screw moved effortlessly with no extra downward pressure. Remarkable.


FE3EA381-8A5C-449C-8811-B199C5E21068.jpeg
Currently £5.88 online - with free delivery.

Go on. You know you want to...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vessel-Megador ... me&sr=8-11


Yes, I do. Thank you.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

nigelnightmare
Posts: 605
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 10:33pm

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby nigelnightmare » 28 Sep 2019, 11:38pm

profpointy wrote:now that's just crazy talk; call yourself an engineer. It would, and has,really bugged me using the wrong tool on a fastener.

Remember the 3 rules of engineeering:

1 use the right tool for the job
2 the right tool for any job is a hammer
3 any tool can be used as a hammer


You forgot the most important one.

If it don't fit...Force it! :lol:

Brucey
Posts: 36475
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby Brucey » 28 Sep 2019, 11:52pm

rule 4)

when all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nigelnightmare
Posts: 605
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 10:33pm

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby nigelnightmare » 29 Sep 2019, 12:18am

rjb wrote:
Brucey wrote:so.... flat blade it is, then.... :wink:

cheers


Unless you have a nice mech like this Mavic which only needs a 2.5mm Allen key. This is how they all should have been.
image.jpg
:D


That's what I could never understand.
Why, if every other fixing on a bike are "Allen bolt". Why are the derailleur adjustment screws F&R "JIS"?
Surely it makes more sense to have them all the same.

P.S.
Toyota used/uses JIS and the tool kit in the boot has a JIS/Flat screwdriver.

Samuel D
Posts: 2885
Joined: 8 Mar 2015, 11:05pm
Location: Paris

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby Samuel D » 29 Sep 2019, 12:16pm

nigelnightmare wrote:Why, if every other fixing on a bike are "Allen bolt". Why are the derailleur adjustment screws F&R "JIS"?
Surely it makes more sense to have them all the same.

Shimano, at least, agrees and now makes derailleurs that use Allen keys to adjust the limit screws. See the FD-9100, for example.

profpointy
Posts: 475
Joined: 9 Jun 2011, 10:34pm

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby profpointy » 29 Sep 2019, 4:26pm

nigelnightmare wrote:
rjb wrote:
Brucey wrote:so.... flat blade it is, then.... :wink:

cheers


Unless you have a nice mech like this Mavic which only needs a 2.5mm Allen key. This is how they all should have been.
image.jpg
:D


That's what I could never understand.
Why, if every other fixing on a bike are "Allen bolt". Why are the derailleur adjustment screws F&R "JIS"?
Surely it makes more sense to have them all the same.

P.S.
Toyota used/uses JIS and the tool kit in the boot has a JIS/Flat screwdriver.


I simply swapped all the screws for stainless allen screws. I do have a set of JIS screwdrivers, but it's still worth swopping. In any case OE deraileur adjusters are made of a metalic
looking type of cheese rather than good quality steel

fastpedaller
Posts: 2234
Joined: 10 Jul 2014, 1:12pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby fastpedaller » 30 Sep 2019, 6:12pm

Today I bought a qty 50 pack of m4 x 16 stainless (A2) socket head (allen) screws from screwfix £3.04 :)
As I'd anticipated the diameter of the head is bigger than the original Shimano screws. As the socket head screws are longer I could have just used them, but they would have protruded and looked bad, so I set to with the bench grinder. They needed reducing from 6.9mm diameter to 5.3mm, so took a few minutes (if only I had a lathe :cry: ), with the reduction it fitted in place (I only tried one) and to do it justice a smoothing with wet/dry and polishing is needed. They do indeed turn with a 3mm allen key. i'm not sure whether I'll go to the bother of replacing the originals as they are rarely moved (maybe If I have a spare hour), but the B adjustment screw gets all the crud on it, so I may replace it, especially as it doesn't fit in a recess so requires no modification (apart from maybe the length). A drip of Loctite would also be worth using on the B adjustment screw.

Brucey
Posts: 36475
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Gear adjustment screws - What screwdriver?

Postby Brucey » 30 Sep 2019, 7:53pm

re lack of lathe for such jobs;

all you need is an electric drill and a grinder; a Dremel tool for tiny jobs and/or an angle grinder for bigger jobs than that. The method is to mount the electric drill in a bench vice, and then mount the screw in the drill chuck, preferably screwing it into something (a fitting or a whole bunch of nuts) so that it is secure and runs concentrically. With the drill latched (i.e. set to run all the time) at about 1000rpm or more the head can be reshaped using the grinding tool and then polished. Because it is being done in the drill the parts will run concentric to the screw thread. No lumpy corners!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~