Brompton 1996 vintage dies

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

I was riding along today on my third hand Brompton, when the front developed a wobble over the next 2 hour it got worse. At first, I thought it was something to do with the headset upon investigation I found a crack.

I contacted Brompton, they said I would cost £150 to replace the front section, but given the hinge that connects the rear and the front section when rebushed was found to very worn I decided it was not economical to repair.
I need a folding bike for my job so brought a new 6 gear version, my LCC membership gave me a 10% discount.
Any comments.
Attachments
20170719_213311ed2.jpg
20170719_213311ed2.jpg (26.35 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
mercalia

Re: Brompton 1996 vintage dies

Post by mercalia »

lucky you it happened slowly
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there's a reason bikes that don't fold aren't built like those that do. I'm surprised that such breakages are not more common; Bromptons seem better made than a lot of other folders; yours took 21 years to break, and gave you good warning some aluminium folding bikes can last a year of serious use and then break in a similar way, but abruptly.

FWIW I think that breakage could be repaired (if it were mine, I'd fix it...), but it wouldn't be 'economic' per se, especially if there are other parts that are worn too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Brucey wrote:there's a reason bikes that don't fold aren't built like those that do. I'm surprised that such breakages are not more common; Bromptons seem better made than a lot of other folders; yours took 21 years to break, and gave you good warning some aluminium folding bikes can last a year of serious use and then break in a similar way, but abruptly.

FWIW I think that breakage could be repaired (if it were mine, I'd fix it...), but it wouldn't be 'economic' per se, especially if there are other parts that are worn too.

cheers

Andrew Ritchie and David Henshaw mentioned there was a period when Brompton's tubes were too thin for some reason and a cluster of the above occurred before the frame was thickened again:
Andrew Ritchie said he was relieved such failure was usually fairly graceful .....

EDIT I think I'll avoid alu folding bikes....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

SA_SA_SA wrote:EDIT I think I'll avoid alu folding bikes....

I don't think there's a particular reason to. Keep an eye on it for cracks (but you do that with all bikes anyway, right?) but even if it fails abruptly at the fold, you're much more likely to end up standing on the road from a folding bike than other sorts of failure.

But then again, Brompton is offering high-end steel folding bikes and Argos is now selling a £130 one at the other end of the market, so if you've a free choice, I'd probably go steel now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mercalia wrote:lucky you it happened slowly

Steel is real...

Failures of this type are often slow - you can get 'snap' failures, but the material can stretch and yield as it tears.

Alu is less sympathetic, CF much less so. Titanium is probably also sympathetic...

Mind you if you're not using it any more can I see if I can bend it back into shape ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

I have been told that the replacement of the front section is not possible because since this 1996 version was manufactured the hinge design has change.

Therefore, I would have to replace the entire frame which would cost around £300. Given my rear triangle is the 3-speed type and I would want a 6-speed triangle the cost of the new rear triangle would be £131 so the total cost would be £431 plus the fitting of the triangle say total would be around £480.

My new Brompton was £958 with my discount. It was not worth repairing.

I am intending to strip the old Brompton down for spare and may be sell some part on.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
mercalia wrote:lucky you it happened slowly

Steel is real...

Failures of this type are often slow - you can get 'snap' failures, but the material can stretch and yield as it tears.

Alu is less sympathetic, CF much less so. Titanium is probably also sympathetic...

Mind you if you're not using it any more can I see if I can bend it back into shape ;)

Are you serious, PM with your telephone number
drossall

Post by drossall »

I think I'd be inclined to feel that a frame that has worn out in two different places might be trying to tell you something.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

There's a location on Fulham Road might be the best place to send it :lol:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.48296 ... 312!8i6656
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

bertgrower wrote:I have been told that the replacement of the front section is not possible because since this 1996 version was manufactured the hinge design has change.

Therefore, I would have to replace the entire frame which would cost around £300. Given my rear triangle is the 3-speed type and I would want a 6-speed triangle the cost of the new rear triangle would be £131 so the total cost would be £431 plus the fitting of the triangle say total would be around £480.

My new Brompton was £958 with my discount. It was not worth repairing.

I am intending to strip the old Brompton down for spare and may be sell some part on.

That appears to be the old design that was fully brazed, and yes it's not a good idea to mix it with the new -and only available AFAIK- "socket-type" headtube part.
No, you can't really repair it, the material is already weakened and likely to give up again. After all, has had along service with three owners :D
Once I asked to a skilled builder (T.J.) and he said he wouldn't do it: too much hassle is jiging up the whole thing for a repair that will be short-lived, the time (hence money) involved would be not too far from a whole new mainframe.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

Brucey

Please respond to my PM