26 inch wheels on road bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
old_windbag

Re: 26 inch wheels on road bike?

Post by old_windbag »

amediasatex wrote: in fact I think some of us on here might occasionally bump into each other on rides from time to time, even if we don't realise it.

We should as forumites create a unique badge to wear, or put on bike, so that on the road we can see a fellow forumite even if we are likely to dislike each other intensely, we ar still a band of brothers( oops and sisters in case Vorpals looking ) :lol: .

Enjoy dartmoor and the camping :) .
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Here's a perfect example of doing it in a totally inappropriate manner!

32c/35c tyre combo (700c in a 26 in frame), one gear, drops on an MTB frame, no racks or guards, just soft luggage and all hastily strapped together for a lightweight overnighter on Dartmoor, a mix of about 35-40 miles of road to get there, then fairly easy 10-15 miles offroad on gravel and mud tracks into the Moor to find a spot for the night, before heading home via a quick brekkie stop at the seaside ;-)

For ref - this is NOT my normal exploring bike! just hammering home the point that a stupid bike does not preclude having a fun adventure.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

danielb wrote:I realise that I might need to replace the 49mm drop brakes with 57mm drop brakes but would they be long enough?

You would need to fit brakes with (622-559)/2=31.5 mm more drop - i.e with an 80-81 mm drop.
Dia Compe do a brake with a 79 mm drop, which may do if your blocks aren't currently right at the bottom of the slot, or you are prepared to do a little filing on the Dia Compe to extend the slot a bit.

Note that your braking won't be as good with the longer calipers (less mechanical advantage and more flex)
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

amediasatex wrote:For ref - this is NOT my normal exploring bike! just hammering home the point that a stupid bike does not preclude having a fun adventure.

Hopefully that will inspire many with "incorrect" bikes to go out and have a mini adventure. BBC4 did a good camping documentary, on which was a cycle tourer in his 70's( with tent ) and also a chap called dixie wills who does similar to yourself.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Going back to the danielb’s original post, I wonder if mudguards would fit with 23 mm tyres on the existing rims.

I know 23 mm tyres are not ideal for general-purpose or winter use, but neither are they the disaster they are made out to be in the present rush to fat tyres. You just need to choose your tyres and pressures with care, and perhaps ride more carefully where pinch flats are a risk.
danielb

Post by danielb »

Thanks for all your comments. It doesn't look a viable plan, particularly as I don't want to go any longer than 57mm on brakes and lose braking function. I hadn't quite realised how much more drop would be needed.
but why not just set up the steel bike for winter riding?
I have that already but what I am reluctant to relinquish is a fast, light titanium bike.

So I'll consider Plan B (bodge some mudguards on the racer, keeping 25mm or 23mm tyres), or Plan C (arrange better storage so I can keep both - most likely option but least popular in my household) or Plan D (save up for a purpose built bike that ticks all the boxes, but that means more money and getting up to date with all the bike developments since I last bought one in 2005)!