Are these broader pedals better than normal SPDs?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mnichols

Are these broader pedals better than normal SPDs?

Post by mnichols »

I seem to be wearing everything out on my touring bike at the moment

Are these broader spd pedals better than the traditional SPDs? I was wondering if the bigger platform is easier on your feet over long distances

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-m530-spd-trail-clipless-mtb-pedals/rp-prod67249?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-MB-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Mobile&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CskvVu6B5O_dm%7Cpcrid%7C161819470040%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C255745UK
meic

Re: Are these broader pedals better than normal SPDs?

Post by meic »

I have both types and have ridden long distances with both types and I cant really say that I have ever noticed any difference.
In my case "supported" pedals were A520s and M424's. double sided were M540's and Powerplay's equivalent of them.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you have decent shoes then it doesn't make a lot of difference to the comfort per se. However what I do find is that my foot gets a little bit 'tippy' when I am giving it full gas or sprinting out of the saddle on some SPD pedals, so I'm thinking that a more supportive version might be a step in the right direction....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

meic wrote:I have both types and have ridden long distances with both types and I cant really say that I have ever noticed any difference.
In my case "supported" pedals were A520s and M424's. double sided were M540's and Powerplay's equivalent of them.

So the 520's are supportive but not the 530?

Isn't the 530 the double sided version of the 520?

I like the weight saving but are they a faff? Do they tip to be right side up?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Brucey wrote:if you have decent shoes then it doesn't make a lot of difference to the comfort per se. However what I do find is that my foot gets a little bit 'tippy' when I am giving it full gas or sprinting out of the saddle on some SPD pedals, so I'm thinking that a more supportive version might be a step in the right direction....

cheers

I agree it seems like a good idea. This is for my touring bike and I only take one pair of shoes to wear on and off the bike so the sole has to be a bit of a compromise and so I sometimes think I can feel the pedal on traditional SPDs like the 540s
meic

Post by meic »

I have not tried the M530s (or the A530s) I was only giving feedback on the two types of pedals which I ride with which have an additional support comparing them to the ones I ride with which dont have additional support.

The A520s do not self-right to the correct position but you soon learn to click in by rolling the pedal from underneath as you bring your foot into contact.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NB to avoid confusion; number alone does not denote the pedal model

PD-M520

PD-A520

Similarly there are PD-M530 and PD-A530 models that differ somewhat from one another.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drossall

Post by drossall »

At least in theory, with clipless pedals it's the sole of the shoe that supports your foot, so it shouldn't matter that much. The pedal is just there as a bearing attached to your shoe.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

I think it depends on how stiff your shoe is, how deep the clear recess is, how squishy the shoe tread is.

Got all the pedals mentioned above on different bikes.

The M530 is good on a off road bike when you might want to balance a foot on the pedal not clipped in is you think yiou might need to drop a foot quickly.

I think the cage gives a bit of support on shoes which a bit flexy - which I prefer for mountain biking where might walk a bit.

The A520 are the most supportive along the length of the pedal than the M530, as the M530 dips at the front and back I use them for long touring trips on my Audax style bike (Colin 531 Spa cycles Audax) I think the A520 still gives length wise support on a stiff sole. Good idea on a shoe which is stiff but not as stiff as a racing cyclist shoe.

Tim
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

drossall wrote:At least in theory, with clipless pedals it's the sole of the shoe that supports your foot, so it shouldn't matter that much. The pedal is just there as a bearing attached to your shoe.

That's an interesting point, but in a touring shoe where the sole may not be that rigid does the broader pedal help?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

tim_f wrote:I think it depends on how stiff your shoe is, how deep the clear recess is, how squishy the shoe tread is.

Got all the pedals mentioned above on different bikes.

The M530 is good on a off road bike when you might want to balance a foot on the pedal not clipped in is you think yiou might need to drop a foot quickly.

I think the cage gives a bit of support on shoes which a bit flexy - which I prefer for mountain biking where might walk a bit.

The A520 are the most supportive along the length of the pedal than the M530, as the M530 dips at the front and back I use them for long touring trips on my Audax style bike (Colin 531 Spa cycles Audax) I think the A520 still gives length wise support on a stiff sole. Good idea on a shoe which is stiff but not as stiff as a racing cyclist shoe.

Tim

So which would you recommend for on-road touring of around 100 miles per day, or single days of up to 250 miles for a touring shoe that you can also walk around in - something like a Giro Republic?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Brucey wrote:NB to avoid confusion; number alone does not denote the pedal model

PD-M520

PD-A520

Similarly there are PD-M530 and PD-A530 models that differ somewhat from one another.

cheers

So is it the D and the M that denote the difference in breadth/support or is it more random than that?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

meic wrote:I have not tried the M530s (or the A530s) I was only giving feedback on the two types of pedals which I ride with which have an additional support comparing them to the ones I ride with which dont have additional support.

The A520s do not self-right to the correct position but you soon learn to click in by rolling the pedal from underneath as you bring your foot into contact.

So does the cleat side always fall to the bottom and therefore the movement is always the same or is it random which side is at the bottom and top?
meic

Post by meic »

Yes, it always the same position-ish. Not horizontal but with the cleat facing down.
My foot knows better than I do! You get your toe a little under it and move forward on top of it which turns it over, then down and it engages. All one quick continuous action, after a while.
Yma o Hyd
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

meic wrote:Yes, it always the same position-ish. Not horizontal but with the cleat facing down.
My foot knows better than I do! You get your toe a little under it and move forward on top of it which turns it over, then down and it engages. All one quick continuous action, after a while.

Thanks, that's helpful.