Front LED light recommendation (for being seen)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gattonero

Re: Front LED light recommendation (for being seen)

Post by Gattonero »

RecumbentRide wrote:

Interesting light but really looking for this functionality in a head mounted light as explained in my last message.

apparently there is a bracket that allows you to fit this light onto a standard Cateye bracket

Or can you just use a longer o-ring and strap this light directly in the hemlet? The o-ring shouldn't mark trough the hard foam
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Apparently they are now up to the 3rd iteration of this model! They do look good :)
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Gattonero wrote:
RecumbentRide wrote:

Interesting light but really looking for this functionality in a head mounted light as explained in my last message.

apparently there is a bracket that allows you to fit this light onto a standard Cateye bracket

Or can you just use a longer o-ring and strap this light directly in the hemlet? The o-ring shouldn't mark trough the hard foam

Even looking better, thanks for letting us know about this bracket :)
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

RecumbentRide wrote:

Apparently they are now up to the 3rd iteration of this model! They do look good :)

It's also feasible to use 2 o-rings in belt and braces mode :wink:
"42"
mjr

Post by mjr »

In daytime, it's all fairly pointless, as you can't compete with the sun. On rare occasions, you risk making your silhouette less easy to distinguish against a low sun.

Please don't put lights on your head at night. Every time you turn your head, you'll be showing a white light to the rear which is confusing and dangerously misleading for other road users. It's also very easy to accidentally misdirect a bright light simply by turning one's head in the wrong direction and dazzle other riders. It would be illegal if it was on the bike rather than your person - it may be some sort of anti-social behaviour offence anyway.

If you go Cateye, look for the G versions of the lights rather than the junk they foist on the UK.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

I've seen other riders with pulsing lights during the daytime, sun or no sun, they are extremely effective at letting drivers you are there. Remember I clearly stated at the beginning of this thread it's about being seen and a strong concentrated pulsating (far less annoying than the flashing ones) LED will do that in the brightest of sunshine. If you are worried about battery life then there are plenty of Lithium options or just use AA rechargeables.

Squeaker gave a very good suggestion but not sure I'd mount it on my helmet but it would be excellent attached on the bike and I believe they now go up to 150 lumens. I've now got this on my helmet and it is an excellent light (designed for runners) and will do for now. I managed to get it for £10 but I've noticed the seller has doubled the price. For the time being I've given up the search for a helmet mounted pulsating LED light with 180 deg visibility that can be angled at will say for map reading. The Cateye came close but once it's on it's fixed. Think I was looking for too much.
mjr

Post by mjr »

RecumbentRide wrote:I've seen other riders with pulsing lights during the daytime, sun or no sun, they are extremely effective at letting drivers you are there.

I suspect they're just unusual but I'd be interested any evidence of their effectiveness.

There's also the social aspect to consider: should we be helping drivers to expect that anything worth noticing has a pulsing light on it? What about little Jilly or Rover that don't have lights? How would you feel about contributing to them getting run over and possibly the motorist let off because it's got so that the public expects safe road users to carry bright lights even in broad daylight?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

mjr wrote:I suspect they're just unusual but I'd be interested any evidence of their effectiveness.

There's also the social aspect to consider: should we be helping drivers to expect that anything worth noticing has a pulsing light on it? What about little Jilly or Rover that don't have lights? How would you feel about contributing to them getting run over and possibly the motorist let off because it's got so that the public expects safe road users to carry bright lights even in broad daylight?

As for effectiveness I suggest you use your own judgement when you next see someone using them :shock:

As for Jilly or Rover I suggest you leave Enid Blyton out of this though she did write great childrens books :?