Shimano Shado Plus Clutch Derailleur - compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DarkNewt

Shimano Shado Plus Clutch Derailleur - compatibility

Post by DarkNewt »

Hi All,

not being a mountainbiker - clutch derailliurs are not something I have used before, however I am looking at trying one out on my touring bike which has an FC-M780 10 speed crankset with a deore XT rear derailleur - any clues as to what Shadown Plus Clutch from shimano will work, and is the SRAM equivalent compatible?

I am looking at it because I do find myself backpedaling at stops etc.. and it would be nice to have the smoother clutch rear action, and to be honest just want to give it a try out of curiosity.

Newt
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
Brucey

Re: Shimano Shado Plus Clutch Derailleur - compatibility

Post by Brucey »

you need to say what shifters you have on your bike, and ideally which model XT mech you presently have too.

BTW you may be barking up the wrong tree here; IIRC the clutch in a 'clutch mech' has a one-way damper in the lower pivot. This controls the chain flapping up and down when you are going over bumpy ground. It doesn't alter the way the bike freewheels or indeed (much) what happens when you pedal backwards.

If the bike freewheels badly (ie so that the lower chain run goes slack), the freewheel mechanism is too draggy and needs a service. If it freewheels OK but you can't backpedal very easily, this is usually because the jockey pulleys are draggy.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Brucey wrote:you need to say what shifters you have on your bike, and ideally which model XT mech you presently have too.

BTW you may be barking up the wrong tree here; IIRC the clutch in a 'clutch mech' has a one-way damper in the lower pivot. This controls the chain flapping up and down when you are going over bumpy ground. It doesn't alter the way the bike freewheels or indeed (much) what happens when you pedal backwards.

If the bike freewheels badly (ie so that the lower chain run goes slack), the freewheel mechanism is too draggy and needs a service. If it freewheels OK but you can't backpedal very easily, this is usually because the jockey pulleys are draggy.

hth

cheers

HI Brucey,

thanks I was a bit lazy :-) I will write them down, showing my ignorance, I have never used a clutch mech before and having watched a video in which the guy mentions being able to pedal backwards more easily without snaring the chain I though it might be worth a go. It's not much of an issue for me as my gearing is set up just about as perfect as you can get, taught myself how to get it just right.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

For mountain biking they are great, your chain is way quieter, doesn't slap all over the place and less likely to jump off. For road use, not very suitable at all I'd say - they make down shifting on the casette really stiff, quite unpleasant really.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

gregoryoftours wrote:For mountain biking they are great, your chain is way quieter, doesn't slap all over the place and less likely to jump off. For road use, not very suitable at all I'd say - they make down shifting on the casette really stiff, quite unpleasant really.

Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies, I think I am going to ask around and try one on someones bike - no rush to change my mech!

As always great and sensible responses!