240s Rear Hub tight

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tempsperdu

240s Rear Hub tight

Post by tempsperdu »

You know those five minute jobs that somehow just grow well got one of those. I am planning on changing a set of wheels of one bike to another.
Fronts are the same but rear is currently 135 QR and needs to be 12 x 142. Simple just change the freehub and end caps job done.
Just to make sure I have the hub with the 12mm clearance axle tube in thought I would take a look. All I have to do is click off the freehub with cassette and check. Seen the video read the manual what could go wrong. Bit of a struggle to ‘just click off the freehub’ but got it off. Axle tube fine, ratchets a bit mucky but no DT grease so have wait stuck it back on back in the bike and the wheel is stiff. Cant back pedal as derailleur just picks up.
Took it off again. Noticed the end cap is lose behind the cassette lock ring. This is supposed to be a press fit into the hub. Pushed the freehub back into the hub gave it a smack with my hand and all clicked into position. Holding the stubs wheel spins as it should. Back in the bike still stiff. So my money is on the end cap but don’t have the tool to remove the cassette.
Anyone any knowledge on 240s rear hub problems like this. As far as I can see the freehub is seated so is there anything that would trap the endcap and stop it seating when its clamped in the frame?
Off to LBS first thing to see if they can sort it but would like to be able to tell them what the problem is.
Brucey

Re: 240s Rear Hub tight

Post by Brucey »

I'd suggest that you need to take the cassette off so that you can see what is going on behind the lockring. It seems to me that you might well have dislodged #42 so that it is now dragging when the QR pressure is on, or something like that?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

That's different to any other exploded view I have seen.
The answer may be 42 but what is it?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC (it has been a while since I took one of these apart) it is a top hat shaped dust shield of some kind. I think it can be dislodged/deformed when the freehub body (with a cassette on it) is refitted; unless the end cap is used to push the freehub body, the cassette lockring pushes on the shield and can deform/dislodge it, ISTR.

cheers
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

tempsperdu wrote:You know those five minute jobs that somehow just grow well got one of those. I am planning on changing a set of wheels of one bike to another.
Fronts are the same but rear is currently 135 QR and needs to be 12 x 142. Simple just change the freehub and end caps job done.
Just to make sure I have the hub with the 12mm clearance axle tube in thought I would take a look. All I have to do is click off the freehub with cassette and check. Seen the video read the manual what could go wrong. Bit of a struggle to ‘just click off the freehub’ but got it off. Axle tube fine, ratchets a bit mucky but no DT grease so have wait stuck it back on back in the bike and the wheel is stiff. Cant back pedal as derailleur just picks up.
Took it off again. Noticed the end cap is lose behind the cassette lock ring. This is supposed to be a press fit into the hub. Pushed the freehub back into the hub gave it a smack with my hand and all clicked into position. Holding the stubs wheel spins as it should. Back in the bike still stiff. So my money is on the end cap but don’t have the tool to remove the cassette.
Anyone any knowledge on 240s rear hub problems like this. As far as I can see the freehub is seated so is there anything that would trap the endcap and stop it seating when its clamped in the frame?
Off to LBS first thing to see if they can sort it but would like to be able to tell them what the problem is.

Yes, the end caps are press-fit and are not supposed ot have any play. They are well made so cannot see how it comes it has a loose fit? There is a small o-ring inside, is it still there?
Is the end-cap the correct one, as you say you've replaced the freehub, if is an 11sp one it does need a different end-cap.

Also, under the freehub there is a thin metal ring that acts as labyrinth seal, if this has come dislodged (unlikely) or its groove is damaged, then you have the freehub binding once the QR skewer is tightened. It's the n.35 in the drawing above.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

Finally took the wheel to the LBS who sorted it out in no time.
Turns out the freehub end cap was ever so slightly distorted.
They only found it by swapping for a new one which solved it.
Nothing you could spot until you look very closely on a flat surface and even then you would think that's something and nothing.
Cant figure out how it happened unless side pressure to get the hub off caused it?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

as I mentioned previously, if you refit the freewheel body with the cassette still attached, the dust shield/end cap is trapped behind the cassette lockring and can be deformed as the cassette slides over the axle; the lockring pushes up against the dust shield/endcap. I don't think there is any great mystery here.

cheers