Maxxis tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
webber

Maxxis tyres

Post by webber »

I've finally wore though my schwalbe mondail tyres and am looking for a replacement and sore these http://www.maxxis.co.uk/catalog/tyre-26 ... rive-excel has anyone got any experience with these or any maxxis tyres
100%JR

Re: Maxxis tyres

Post by 100%JR »

Maxxis were my go-to tyre on my MTBs(High Roller and Minion DHF)best grip I could find.
Never used their Road tyres though.
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

If they're anything like their motorcycle road tyres, they'll grip brilliantly but won't last long.

If they're like their CST bicycle tyre cousins (same company), they'll grip badly and won't last long.
_________
LEJoG slug
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I had some Maxxis tyres on a Merida road bike I'd bought 2nd hand. Seemed fine, rode and gripped OK and appeared to resist pun****es . Then in short order the back tyre was through to the canvas and the front felt very thin.
I replaced with Vitoria :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

I replaced with Vitoria

When our Schwalbe Marathons wore out on tour I bought a Vittoria Randonneur for my wife's bike in Bolzano. By the time we got to Bonn it was completely worn out - in only 1100km!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My Ridgeback Panorama came fitted with Maxxis tyres. I found them to be puncture proof and hard wearing, with a decent amount of grip.

I've never seen them on sale anywhere, so replaced them with Vittoria Randonneurs which are equally puncture proof and hard wearing.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

webber wrote: and am looking for a replacement and sore these

Is there a specific reason for looking to these, i.e LBS stocks them or access to a discount or just cheap. If not then if you're on 700c why not look at the vittoria hypers that are popular on here, or schwalbe sammy slicks can be had for similar or lower cost. These are lightweight and pretty tough, also got around 10000mls out of my rear tyre and not down to carcass. It's personal preferences but everyone will have good and bad experiences from any reccomended item, but worth making a list and whittling down.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

RobinS wrote:
I replaced with Vitoria

When our Schwalbe Marathons wore out on tour I bought a Vittoria Randonneur for my wife's bike in Bolzano. By the time we got to Bonn it was completely worn out - in only 1100km!

I bought Rubino Pro and at the price they are, even after huge discount, if I only get 1100km you'll all hear about it here as I'll be fuming. :evil:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
webber

Post by webber »

old_windbag wrote:
webber wrote: and am looking for a replacement and sore these

Is there a specific reason for looking to these, i.e LBS stocks them or access to a discount or just cheap. If not then if you're on 700c why not look at the vittoria hypers that are popular on here, or schwalbe sammy slicks can be had for similar or lower cost. These are lightweight and pretty tough, also got around 10000mls out of my rear tyre and not down to carcass. It's personal preferences but everyone will have good and bad experiences from any reccomended item, but worth making a list and whittling down.

Can get them cheap i need 26in might just get schwalbe again just thought I'd try something new